Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 27 May 2014 (Tuesday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Less expensive support options for 500 f/4L support

dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 27, 2014 16:14 |  #1

I recently purchased a 500 f/4L IS USM version 1. And my only two options are to use it hand held or to use in on my Manfroto monopod. But I'm looking to get a good Wimberly like system. With a full swiveling head (up, down and side to side) that can support the weight. The purchase of the lens itself dried up my budget though. So I'm trying to find some low cost recommendations for the time being that would offer similar functionality.

Suggestions?

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

sponsored links
ldn323
Goldmember
1,166 posts
Gallery: 359 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

May 27, 2014 21:48 |  #2

I use this Opteka GH1 Pro Heavy Duty Metal Gimbal Head for my Canon 300mm f/2.8 + either 1.4x or 2x + either 7D or 1Dx. It is not as smooth as the $600 Wimberley gimbal head ... but I am happy with it considering I paid $150 for it new at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com …keywords=wimber​ley+gimbal (external link)

Linh
1Dx, 7D Mark II, XTi, Fujifilm X-T1, Fujifilm X100s, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Contemporary, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R WR, Fujifilm XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 27, 2014 22:32 |  #3

This one will survive anything...
Again, not as smooth as a wimberly. But it works well
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …w_wcB&is=REG&Q=​&A=details (external link)

--
flickr (external link)

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 27, 2014 23:14 |  #4

I have a couple buddies with the Opteka one and they like it.
I think it uses an ARCA swiss plate too.

My Flickr (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 28, 2014 04:49 |  #5

That Opteka looks very similar to the cheap gimbal I bought on Ebay - from India. Nowhere near as smooth as a proper gimbal, but it was usable while I saved up some pennies. Then I sold it for just a small loss.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

dfbovey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 28, 2014 06:47 |  #6

From reading the reviews it looks like the Opteka can made to behave more smoothly. Might be an option.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

badams
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 28, 2014 08:40 |  #7

I have the Manfrotto head that Idn323 provided above. I like it, but my complaint is that it uses its own head system so the plates aren't compatible with anything else.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

Gbgb
447 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 01, 2014 21:09 as a reply to  @ badams's post |  #8

I second the cheaper option, Beike it seems is similar (read comes out of the same factory) to Optica. As said previously it is not smooth, but it does hold the weight (200-400 f/4 +5DIII) It could be said, if you can afford the lens, then $600 for the gimbal is not much, but I know where you're coming from you have to stop somewhere!.

gb From GB
flickr (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/graham.bamber.7 (external link)

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 02, 2014 01:53 |  #9

I think you can get these in the US (assuming that's where you are!) I've used one with my 500 and it handled it just fine.

http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh2.htm (external link)

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

tomj
633 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 02, 2014 09:04 as a reply to  @ nellyle's post |  #10

"I second the cheaper option, Beike it seems is similar (read comes out of the same factory) to Optica."

Yes, it's the same. I purchased one new on ebay for $87, it shipped from New York (As I recall, most of them were shipping from China.)

Mine was very stiff when it was new, but after using some spray lubricant and working it a bit it's now fine. There's a lot on the web about this, including disassembly, and most seem to think it's an acceptable tradeoff for the price. I've never come across a report of any kind of structural problems.

I use it for a 400/5.6, relatively small and light, and am very happy with it. It does work fine with larger heavier lenses. However, if I were using a larger and much more extensive lens like the OP's I know I would certainly be looking at something like a Wemberly down the road, if just for peace of mind.

Flickr (external link)

Gbgb
447 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 02, 2014 09:19 |  #11

tomj wrote in post #16946213 (external link)
"I second the cheaper option, Beike it seems is similar (read comes out of the same factory) to Optica."

Yes, it's the same. I purchased one new on ebay for $87,

There's a lot on the web about this, including disassembly, and most seem to think it's an acceptable tradeoff for the price. I've never come across a report of any kind of structural problems.

I found some talk about disassembly here:-
http://www.pentaxforum​s.com …ike-bk45-gimbal-head.html (external link)

Personally I would not go to that trouble, mine is a little stiff, but it is not a problem. If it became a problem, I would sell it & buy Whimberley before disassembling it.

gb From GB
flickr (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/graham.bamber.7 (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,994 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 02, 2014 12:13 |  #12

Evan wrote in post #16934882 (external link)
This one will survive anything...
Again, not as smooth as a wimberly. But it works well
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …w_wcB&is=REG&Q=​&A=details (external link)

I can speak to this, it is in fact bullet proof!
It is very heavy, but it gets the job done. It easily handled one fo the largest lenses in existence (the SIGMA 300-800mm)

my complaint is that it uses its own head system so the plates aren't compatible with anything else.

True. The clamp can be removed and replaced with a long arca clamp, but once you start down that road, you are upping costs considerably, and might just want to go another route.

You don't mention legs? You'll be needing strong legs to support all of this combo.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 06, 2014 19:04 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

While not as cheap as the other heads mentioned above, I would highly recommend the Induro GHB2. (external link) Smooth as silk and built like a tank. I'd put it up against a Wimberly any day, and it's $100 cheaper. You know what they say... buy nice or buy twice. Induro also makes great tripods at a fair price.

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]
Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
My Flickr page (external link)

badams
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 09, 2014 21:53 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16946600 (external link)
I can speak to this, it is in fact bullet proof!
It is very heavy, but it gets the job done. It easily handled one fo the largest lenses in existence (the SIGMA 300-800mm)

True. The clamp can be removed and replaced with a long arca clamp, but once you start down that road, you are upping costs considerably, and might just want to go another route.

Do you know what clamps fit it? I've been tempted to go this route for the time being, but the clamps I've looked at, I'm not sure if they will fit or if they do I would be able to tighten/untighten them.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 10, 2014 00:27 |  #15

badams wrote in post #16962224 (external link)
Do you know what clamps fit it? I've been tempted to go this route for the time being, but the clamps I've looked at, I'm not sure if they will fit or if they do I would be able to tighten/untighten them.

The largest problem i have with this support, isn't the clamps, but that I cannot lock down the horizontal panning. Drag can be adjusted (requires Allen wrench), but there is no quick fix for it. This isn't a problem for the most part, considering I shoot moving subjects, but there is the rare occasion when a still subject is in a windy environment and locking down my axis would be handy.

--
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,568 views & 0 likes for this thread
Less expensive support options for 500 f/4L support
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.