Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 26 May 2014 (Monday) 15:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First picture taken with a DSLR

16vRocket
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2014

May 26, 2014 15:29 |  #1

So, this is the first picture taken by me with any DSLR. I got a great deal on a T3 and figured that it would be fun to try photography out as a new hobby, especially since I have two little kids.

Shot in AE; f/4; 1/25; ISO800. Standard kit lens was used. I feel I should have put the focus on his eyes instead of his muzzle.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2922/14246392982_8008613bf5_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nGUu​id  (external link)

New here; Help Wanted!
Gear List"]Gear List | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
madjack
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Gallery: 218 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 26, 2014 15:37 |  #2

Congratulations! Looks better than the first one I took.

Then again, I like dogs better than trees.

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

May 26, 2014 19:10 |  #3

It does look good and your hunch on the focus is spot on. If the eyes are in the shot chances are that's where the focus should be.

Welcome to the forums - your image is a great start to a great hobby and a rewarding career.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Sweetamber
51 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 27, 2014 01:28 |  #4

Nice one! Good job !

Filmare Nunta HD (external link) /
Terapia Yumeiho (external link)

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
13,073 posts
Gallery: 303 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 27, 2014 04:13 |  #5

Lovely dog, and yes focus on the eyes. With dogs that is even more important than with people (as dogs have longer muzzles than the average gal or girl.. :)
You already got the right "feel" in going down and shoot at dog level instead of looking down on them.
Dogs are very rewarding subjects for shooting. Try to catch the dog running towards you( high shutter speed: 1/1000 or the like).

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,418 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

May 27, 2014 08:21 |  #6

The camera does seem to love the nose. I take a lot of pictures of seals being rehabilitated by a non-profit. They are not unlike dogs in that the nose is at the tip of a long snout. And the camera always thinks that the nose is the most important part. So I use one focus point and aim it at the eyes. Then recompose. It's not easy to do if your subject is active.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

OkieGentleman
50 posts
Joined Oct 2013

May 27, 2014 19:05 |  #7

I wish my first picture had been that good. Yes focus for the eyes every time and you will not go wrong. Download the manual from the manufacturer and READ the whole thing with the camera in one hand and the book in the other. Learn every knob and button on the thing and what it does. Have fun and remember taking photos is like playing golf, there is no perfect shots, not even if it is a hole in one.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
13,073 posts
Gallery: 303 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 27, 2014 23:09 |  #8

OkieGentleman wrote in post #16934542 (external link)
......... Learn every knob and button on the thing and what it does. Have fun and remember taking photos is like playing golf, there is no perfect shots, not even if it is a hole in one.

Excellent advice: and just like playing golf: practice, practice and practice again. The beaut of digital cameras is: you don't waste film so you can snap away and away...

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

kingsman64
125 posts
Joined Sep 2013

May 28, 2014 03:31 as a reply to  @ vk2gwk's post |  #9

Two children and a Doodle you cannot go wrong for subject matter!

Look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i574.photobucke​t.com …ar%20old/IMG_02​37copy.jpg (external link)

Best regards
Paul
“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.”
Henri Cartier-Bresson
6,357 to go for a good one!:lol:

16vRocket
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2014

May 28, 2014 08:55 as a reply to  @ kingsman64's post |  #10

Everyone, Thank you for the words of encouragement!

I have already gone through the manual and tried every feature, and now I just need to learn how to make them all work together.

Here's another one I took outside... I was trying to get the reflection of the orange Duplo block in focus, but found that to be difficult... any tips?

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2928/14275812801_fd5b6d7b3f_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nKvg​Mt  (external link)

New here; Help Wanted!
Gear List"]Gear List | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,985 views & 0 likes for this thread
First picture taken with a DSLR
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.