Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 May 2014 (Wednesday) 22:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I got a photo published in a TIME article...for free thanks to Getty's new "embed"

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 29, 2014 09:36 |  #16

banquetbear wrote in post #16937579 (external link)
...are you sure thats an embeded image? It looks like they paid for it.

Embeded images have the Getty logo on it, along with sharing buttons, like the below:

http://79hbm1979mg58bn​h1fp50y1bry.wpengine.n​etdna-cdn.com …ds/2014/03/07-940x709.png (external link)

That's a good point - could be the blog writer doesn't understand the Getty terms of use and took a screenshot instead?

Joel

sponsored links
banquetbear
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 29, 2014 14:56 |  #17

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16938035 (external link)
That's a good point - could be the blog writer doesn't understand the Getty terms of use and took a screenshot instead?

...nah, its attributed correctly: it just looks like a straight up licence purchase. If the money hasn't shown up in the OP's account it surely will in the next 30 days.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,595 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 30, 2014 22:19 |  #18

NatDeroxL7 wrote in post #16937347 (external link)
I have an alert that goes to my phone if my name is catalogued on a new website by google haha.

How/what do you use to setup an alert?

Gearlist

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 30, 2014 22:40 |  #19

kenwood33 wrote in post #16941514 (external link)
How/what do you use to setup an alert?

You go here http://www.google.com/​alerts (external link) and make a query and have the results mailed to yourself. For instance search for your name. Every time google indexes a page with your name, it will send you an email with the link to that page.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 30, 2014 23:19 |  #20

NatDeroxL7 wrote in post #16937327 (external link)
Thankfully I don't do photography for anything more than beer money, but it is slightly bothersome to think that at some point in history I would have been paid something reasonable for a photo to be used by a major news/editorial publishing company like TIME.

Here's the article:

http://time.com …ghanistan-troops-leaving/ (external link)

The most disturbing thing is that these new free "embedded" photos Getty hands out are crappily resized, pixelated, and too small for any useful viewing.

Honestly if TIME would have emailed me and said "hey getty will give us this crappy looking file for free one way or the other, will you just give us a good one for free?" .... I would have said yes so people don't see my name under a pixelated abstract smudge.

Here is the original photo:

Taken in Kandahar Afghanistan in the fall of 2010. Canon 5DmkII, 70-200 f4L IS

QUOTED IMAGE

A buddy had an image published in Newsweek about 5 years ago. Netted him a little over $1,500. Sorry you didn't get paid for it man.

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 31, 2014 13:26 |  #21

Now you can officially claim that you've been published by TIME :)

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 02, 2014 15:38 |  #22

I've had some famous musicians take my images, and crop out my tiny little watermark, and repost the image on instragram, fb, and twitter, and NOT even blink. no shout out. no love at all.

so I know how you're feeling.
one one hand, this is cool.
on the other hand, this is not cool.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 02, 2014 19:40 as a reply to  @ Dj R's post |  #23

...just to be clear: TIME did not use the embed feature for this image. So either they stole it and just happened to attribute it correctly, or they paid Getty for the usage and the OP will either get paid in due course or has already been paid. I'm pretty sure the latter happened, not the former.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

greazyjungle
117 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 03, 2014 11:53 |  #24

I don't think that image is from the new Getty 'free embed' program; as someone else stated above, there is a stock format and watermark and hyperlink to the image on the Getty main site - yours looks legit licensed. You won't know until late next month when they collate last months sales. I shoot for Getty and Wireimage, and 90% of my sales are for online use and I pocket between $2-$5 per use online (sometimes more, usually less...).

I know everyone has this impression of "big, bad, Getty" but I've gotten paid for every image I've ever found that they licensed - they aren't selling images behind the photographers back. I hear people complain about the percentages as well, photogs only get 30% of royalties - but seriously, without Getty would you have been able to get a picture on Time.com? So it's 30% of a $10 license fee, or 100% of a $0 license (because I doubt the photo editors of Time are cold calling many individual photographers via their Wix website and offering to buy images that way...) Revel in it! I'm a music photographer, and the first time one of my pics was on Rollingstone.com I was ecstatic! "They like me! They really like me!!" ...and I made $3...but it was $3 I wasn't going to make without Getty...!

Mark
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Mark Horton Images (external link)
5D mk III, 7D mk II, 15mm f/2.8, 16-35 f/2.8 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L II, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 300 f/4 L IS, Extender 1.4x, Extender 2.0x, 580 EX II, 580EX x3

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 03, 2014 16:38 |  #25

greazyjungle wrote in post #16948861 (external link)
So it's 30% of a $10 license fee, or 100% of a $0 license

I get it. But at that point, what is the purpose. Spend your time shooting for real money, instead of putting in all that time to get the waivers and everything in order for big bad getty.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 04, 2014 03:52 |  #26

Dj R wrote in post #16949464 (external link)
I get it. But at that point, what is the purpose. Spend your time shooting for real money, instead of putting in all that time to get the waivers and everything in order for big bad getty.

Yeah, volume is the game here. If your image is picked up 800 times, then you did pretty well. But if it was just picked up 3 times, then $9.00 seems kind of paltry. A wedding is a better deal than that.

sponsored links

4,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
I got a photo published in a TIME article...for free thanks to Getty's new "embed"
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.