Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 09 May 2014 (Friday) 23:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR vs. HD Camcorder?

yowelaa
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2014

May 09, 2014 23:28 |  #1

I am in the midst of choosing a new camera. Right now I am trying to choose between a really nice Camcorder, and a really nice DSLR. Currently I record videos for YouTube on my not-so-hd camcorder, which is a JVC GZ-HM200BU.

EMBED PREVENTED, GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED INLINE
when post is by a member with less than 30 posts)
http://dailydigitaldea​ls.info …s/2012/01/11/34​/smile.gif

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,933 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 09, 2014 23:37 |  #2

I moved this to "Digitial Video" since that seems t be the focus of your decision.

The Video experts hopefully will come in soon.

I'm, a still photographer, and enjoy the video options on my DSLR, but as I understand it, the choice of a DSLR over camcorder for video leaves you missing out on plenty on the video side, while at the same time offers some interesting upgrades in image quality.

I know a number of pro videographers that prefer Canon 5DII and 5DIII for a lot of the shooting they do to use the lenses and get the amazing image quality without spending nearly as much on comparable video equipment.

They use the DSLR with very controlled set ups and shot scripts as a Cinematographer would. They aren't using it for action.

On the flipside, using a camcorder simplifies a lot.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

RWJP
120 posts
Joined Sep 2013

May 11, 2014 04:51 |  #3

The simple question is this: What do you actually want to do?

If ALL you want to do is record video, then get a dedicated camcorder.
If you want to record video, and also take photographs, then get a DSLR.

Also, you haven't mentioned your budget. Knowing that may make it easier for us to offer advice!

Gear:
EOS 600D w/ BG-E8| EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Speedlite 430EX II
Visit my Flickr (external link)

oldspice
34 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 28, 2014 01:39 |  #4

IMO DSLR all the way ;)

J ­ Michael
970 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

May 28, 2014 09:07 |  #5

oldspice wrote in post #16935131 (external link)
IMO DSLR all the way ;)

Why?

"I record videos for YouTube" doesn't provide enough information. Are these product videos of the "unboxing the ________" sort, cat videos, skateboarding, surfing, etc? Often a DSLR requires turning it into a frankencamera to be sufficiently outfitted to accomplish the mission, whereas a 1/3" chip HD camera might have been a better tool.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 28, 2014 09:14 |  #6

For general home-movie type recording, I think DSLR cameras suck. The DOF is always a struggle, the AF (or lack of on many DSLR) is distracting. Often the resulting files are very large to work with. I have a 60D and an EOSM, and I use my ELPH 330HS and iphone for most videos.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 28, 2014 16:26 |  #7

A DSLR will require more work than a camcorder which has better AF and longer recording times. Yes you can get more shallow DOF with a DSLR for a more pleasing image but don't move too much or you'll get out of focus. A P&S will usually do a very good job of AF and ease of use, and as long as you provide enough light, the IQ will be excellent.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Digital ­ Story
327 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 28, 2014 18:03 |  #8

Everything depends on what You really wanna do. "Youtube videos" doesn't explain much. For simple things I would go for camcoder, for more artistic things I would go definitely in HDDSLR. If You go in DSLR, then the APS-C should be good enough, as even the Hollywood movies are done in Super-35 which is similar to APS-C format.

ernest dlutek facebook page (external link) <-- Like? :)
6D & 550D ||| 24mm/1.8EX | 50mm/1.4EX | H58mm/2 44-4 | H85mm/1.5 40-2 | T150-600mmG2 |  --- me have

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 28, 2014 18:11 |  #9

I have found that if the camera is not intended to be moved and focus isnt changed often (action) then a DSLR is the way to go. More lens options, etc. Buuuuut, if its anything that involves moving the camera or changing focus a lot then a camcorder is the way to go.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Digital ­ Story
327 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 28, 2014 22:47 |  #10

When you wanna change focus, you have to (!) buy follow focus and good 1080p, at least 7" LCD screen. It's do-able, but needs some practice.

ernest dlutek facebook page (external link) <-- Like? :)
6D & 550D ||| 24mm/1.8EX | 50mm/1.4EX | H58mm/2 44-4 | H85mm/1.5 40-2 | T150-600mmG2 |  --- me have

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 29, 2014 09:46 |  #11

oldspice wrote in post #16935131 (external link)
IMO DSLR all the way ;)

Meh. iPhone will do the job.

http://nofilmschool.co​m …entley-shot-on-iphone-5s/ (external link)

(just kidding)

Joel

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 29, 2014 14:18 |  #12

peeaanuut wrote in post #16936798 (external link)
I have found that if the camera is not intended to be moved and focus isnt changed often (action) then a DSLR is the way to go. More lens options, etc. Buuuuut, if its anything that involves moving the camera or changing focus a lot then a camcorder is the way to go.

Yeah, that's how I feel too.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

alessandro2009
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 31, 2014 10:29 |  #13

A camcorder is more pratical for doing video as a matter of ergonomics, direct controls, etc. while a camera with accessories could be used to make video.
Actually I think the the most interesting solutions are constituted by the mirrorless m43 cameras from Panasonic and the Blackmagic camcorders.
Since on video is more problematic manage the dof.

Rhinotherunt
Looking for a Rock
7,129 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 31, 2014 12:36 |  #14

I have both… Each offer benefits listed above. Depends on the computer and NLE you are going to be using. Consumer grade pre processed and ready to go video out of the camera = camcorder. If you want to go all indie and and work with NLE and do post production… a DSLR would please you. If you are leaning to a DSLR and not really interested in photos look at http://www.blackmagicd​esign.com …ckmagicpocketci​nemacamera (external link)

You can mount auto focus lenses and get the creative capabilities, but in a easier and better form than dslr. The reason being is LANC control which will help with smooth zooms and clean racking of focus. 10 bit video... You will notice in post! Would be great for shooting weddings…

Ryan McGill
My Gearhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=592450

JonKline
198 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 02, 2014 03:18 |  #15

DSLRs are great for getting cinematic shots when you have time.
Traditional camcorders/ENG/EFP cams are great for getting good shots and audio when you don't have a lot of time.

Using a DSLR as a video camera is much more like shooting classic film. You record sound separately, you need camera support, you'll focus manually, you can choose your lens. Using a video camera gives you features like peaking, zebras, focus assist, exposure aids, timecode, motorized zoom, autofocus, image stabilization, etc.

Of course, there are some cameras and lenses that walk the line between the two, at least in how they function or how the final image looks. If you have a budget point in mind, we can give you some starting points to do some research.

Cinematographer Chicago (external link) | Milwaukee camera, lighting & grip (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Sony FS7 (external link)

sponsored links

3,988 views & 0 likes for this thread
DSLR vs. HD Camcorder?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.