Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 May 2014 (Wednesday) 15:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Correcting skin tone colors?

KTLizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 29, 2014 10:04 |  #16

@Jjoeblack - I'm using LR3 mostly, that's what this image was processed in. I have PSCS6, but I mostly use that for retouching, cloning backgrounds, etc, not for RAW work.

sponsored links
joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 29, 2014 10:05 |  #17

Based on the image you linked to this was what I came up with. I didn't do any localized adjustments to the baby though.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Joel

KTLizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 29, 2014 10:31 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #18

So I had another go at it, this time editing it in PS Camera RAW & then PS, adjusting color hue, saturation & luminance, and now the skin tones are better, but the faces look kind of plastick-y and everything is kind of desaturated, & the face and the background are still too pinkish. Also a lot of detail in the non-skin areas got lost. But it's closer to the "washed out" skin tones look I wanted.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I'm wondering if this is something that should be fixed by masking out the skin areas....? I never use masks so I don't know how you would go about doing that in retouching.

KTLizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 29, 2014 10:42 |  #19

I guess I should add some of my other photos for reference - these all have the bright hi key look I like, but which I totally fail at in portraiture.

Ring flash and macro lens inside a white box:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7460/9695159993_e81dbcf8ca.jpg

Natural morning light, no flash:
IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/9487101458_02d7132292.jpg

And here's an attempted hi-key portrait with strobes that has that same orange-y tone to the skin I'm trying to fix. (The red in the hat got blown out by accident, never bothered to go back & fix it)
IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8318/8045861238_dc30f59e58.jpg

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 29, 2014 10:51 as a reply to  @ KTLizzy's post |  #20

Here's my try, all done in ACR except cropping to 5x7 and saving for web. Attached is a text file of the ACR settings I used.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 29, 2014 10:54 |  #21

KTLizzy wrote in post #16938110 (external link)
@Jjoeblack - I'm using LR3 mostly, that's what this image was processed in. I have PSCS6, but I mostly use that for retouching, cloning backgrounds, etc, not for RAW work.

You'll find that using CS6 ACR is much better than using LR3 for RAW work.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

KTLizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 29, 2014 11:05 |  #22

@D Thompson - thanks! That is much more even in skin tone. I still see a pretty strong yellow/orange cast in the skin & the whole photo in that edit, but I could adjust that.
I'll have to try more editing in CS6 ACR - I just recently got a copy from work.

I'm aiming for skin tones and white balance more like this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.c​om …1600/high-fashion+(5).jpg (external link)

I just don't know how to go about adjusting a photo to get there.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 29, 2014 11:42 |  #23

I'm honestly confused by what you're trying to attain. You can't take a snapshot taken with several dark objects in the background and magically transform it into a high key photo; that has to be planned before you ever press the shutter button. If the background wouldn't work to enable you to achieve your goal, more the subject(s) to a more suitable location.
In the portrait of the older man look at how it was composed. He's dressed in neutral clothing and posed against a neutral background; there's no clutter nor dark objects around.

Gear List

KTLizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 29, 2014 12:00 |  #24

@PixelMagic - my question is more about skin tone - if you look at my photo of the woman in the red hat, you can see it's a planned high key photo, like you mentioned, but it still has the orangy-red skin tone I would like to adjust to look like the more even & cool toned example photos I linked to.

Obviously, the snapshot with the baby will never be a high key photo, but the skin tone problem is evident in both, and is something I would like to adjust across all my portraits - snapshot or studio.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 29, 2014 12:13 |  #25

KTLizzy wrote in post #16938221 (external link)
@D Thompson - thanks! That is much more even in skin tone. I still see a pretty strong yellow/orange cast in the skin & the whole photo in that edit, but I could adjust that.

Not seeing a cast here and when I sample points on the baby's wrap the RGB values are close to the same in most spots.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D

KTLizzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jan 2013

May 29, 2014 12:18 |  #26

@DThompson - I'll take another look on my home computer - the one I am on right now is also a Mac and in theory is color calibrated, but I didn't run it myself. Thanks! :)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2014 12:25 |  #27

KTLizzy wrote in post #16938329 (external link)
@PixelMagic - my question is more about skin tone - if you look at my photo of the woman in the red hat, you can see it's a planned high key photo, like you mentioned, but it still has the orangy-red skin tone I would like to adjust to look like the more even & cool toned example photos I linked to.

Obviously, the snapshot with the baby will never be a high key photo, but the skin tone problem is evident in both, and is something I would like to adjust across all my portraits - snapshot or studio.

Then don't go for "neutral" white balance. Set it to neutral based on your gray reference, then give it a little bit cooler temperature, and a little more magenta tint.

Sometimes - perhaps even OFTEN - the neutral white balance based on a gray card isn't the CORRECT white balance for your vision. If you get stuck on making sure you've got WB that's perfectly matched to a neutral reference, it becomes much harder to do creative edits and processing styles. Get out of the box, break some rules.

You might also pull down the vibrance by a lot, and increase the saturation slightly. And, you might need to use local adjustments to fix areas that get screwed up by your global edits.

Also, the whole photo doesn't have to be high-key in order to achieve that light, cool effect on skin. Many of my photos are on a dark background, but I still like a cool, bright skin tone.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 29, 2014 12:34 |  #28

I don't see anything particular special about the photo of the woman; she's well lit and exposed which brings out the her skin tones.

The problem with the adjustments you posted is that they are global; you can't expect to adjust both the subject's skin and the wall at the same time. For the skin you can select it in Photoshop, then use a Curves adjustment by increasing the composite RGB channel (luminance) and reducing the Red channel. But there's no "one size fits all" formula that will apply to all photos.

KTLizzy wrote in post #16938329 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 29, 2014 12:45 |  #29

I do my skin "by the numbers" in Ps with a CMYK curves layer. The basic technique is laid out here. Once you get the hang of it you'll find it quite easy.

http://help.smugmug.co​m …mer/portal/arti​cles/93363 (external link)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

losangelino
938 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

May 29, 2014 12:45 |  #30

here is a quick stab at it. Let me know if this is what you had in mind. Done in lightroom.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

sponsored links

5,153 views & 0 likes for this thread
Correcting skin tone colors?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.