Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 May 2014 (Thursday) 05:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Travel Dilemma!

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

May 29, 2014 18:38 |  #16

What kind of pictures you will take ?

You and your wife, some in the street, at the restaurant, with the sunset, mainly pictures of the place you will visit with your wife and you on the pic or about some particular building, places, inside ancient church, arena for corrida, etc ...

You will have nothing to need to be reach a bit far = So in this case you don't need the 135.

Mostly you will be between 30mm and 70mm, but by seeing your FlickR you like to play with the dof, 24-105 is an f/4 so playing with the dof it's not so good and at night it can be a bit hard to got enough speed.

What you will need mostly it's the 35mm and you can play with the dof, it's wide enough to take picture in restaurant, in the street at night b-coz it's fast, can take sunset, plenty of thing like in the flowers market, and if you have a doubt take the 85mm for portraiture and a little reach (reach of what ? but in case it's a nice complement)

Over all you can go only with the 35mm and do all your needs, but if you are not sure take the 85mm to complete. with these 2 primes you will make better pictures and composition because you will move to adjust the compo and can achieve a better short dof than the 24-105, and these 2 primes will be more usable in low lit situation like the evening (Spanish towns by night are very nice and romantic), indoor, etc ...

So for me solution 1 without the 135, because i know what kind of pictures i will take for the honeymoon

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links
Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 29, 2014 19:07 |  #17

First thing first - sincere congratulations!

Travel... Honeymoon... Europe... You will be fine wth just the 24-105. I travel all over old Europe, taking different combinations of normal zooms, primes, UWAs, and telephotos. I ended up with only the 15-85 on a crop, which has a field of view close enough to your 24-105. It works very well indoors and outdoors, and very seldom I wished for a faster lens.

Yes, a gorillapod will be good if you want to shoot at night, and as you know there are quite a few sights for that in Europe. Don't bother with a flash, its use is banned almost in all museums and they are useless for vast expanses inside churches and cathedrals.

And getting back to where I started: please pay more attention to your new wife than to photography. That's the condition of a happy life! :-)

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 29, 2014 20:28 |  #18

My vote is #5. Wide fast lens for lowlight shots and street stuff and the zoom for other uses.

85 1.8 is too long for indoors ( church/ museum).

That is my vote.

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

May 29, 2014 23:29 |  #19

Where are you going in Spain, and what will you be photographing?
An intermediate zoom would be good for Bull Fights or football.
An ultra-wide aperture and high ISO would be good for inside cathedrals.

When I went to Brazil I took a 35mm, 50mm, and 80-220 zoom, flash and tripod.
When I went to Spain years later, I took just the 50 mm.

Happy with the results for both trips.
But I now think less gear is better.

bluosiris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2013

May 30, 2014 03:54 as a reply to  @ skilsaw's post |  #20

First!! All you guys are fabulous! I never see a forum like that.. full of nice people and a lot of advices!

Second thanks for your congrats… I’m very excited and more closer I’m go to the wedding.. more this feeling increase!

For who asked I’m traveling to Catalonia (close to Barcelona).

Yes, my wife will be the most important thing to care of. Any of your advices are very precious.. I also see pictures of your galleries.. you’re amazing photographer! :)

I may understood what I would like to do, obviously I will not spend too much time with my camera (I’m always in my honeymoon) and I will not carry a proper tripod (just the baby gorilla it fits)

I’m sorry, I saw someone of you advice new lenses, but this cannot be applied anymore :(

Anyway.. I mixed up everything you said.. and in my opinion that’s the final result, and I learned all those things looking your advices and your photo portfolios (I’m spying you :) :) ) :

- Traveling around Catalonia: it means space, landscape and greens outside the city, finishing inside a church or deal with a big monument… nothing will be better than the Tokina 11-16 (here my FF will use solo the 15-16) + when I will need a polarized filter for the blue skies and maybe a ND filter if I found a river or a lake.

- Inside the city: Ok… here will be perfect the 35mm.. everything here inspire me nicely.. colors, group of people, pictures with my wife and in the street at any time

- And latest for making photos of my wife and me the little very light 85 1.8 .. I like this guy.. with just a little reflection panel you can do everything playing with the light and the DOF.

Total weight of all above 5 Kg (including batteries and this kind of tripod + a little flash in the case), all fitting in my Vanguard Adaptor 41.. so very compact and not annoying stuff to carry around

To all of you! thanks again for sharing and thanks also to who will send other advices in the future!

Have a beautiful weekend!
Fabio

Canon EOS 6D
TOKINA 11-16 F2.8 |SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | EF 24-105L | EF 70-200L F4 IS USM | EF 50 F 1.8 II |
EF 85 1.8 | TAMRON 90 2.8 MACRO Di | EF 135L F 2.0|
Flickr (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 30, 2014 05:37 |  #21

I totally agree, I would take the 35mm prime and either the (85mm or 135mm) and call it done.
If wide angle shots are desired, throw in the 11-16 zoom

I enjoy primes more than using zooms.
For extremely light, quality, travel I would only take the 35mm
and expect to crop my images once I was home.
Do you want to come home with more 'landscape' and environmental shots (close range) or more short telephotos. (distance)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,264 posts
Joined May 2003

May 30, 2014 07:09 |  #22

http://www.winemag.com …1/Priorat-Cambrils-Spain/ (external link)

If you don't get the the areas in the link, then at least enjoy the Priorat wine typical of the area. I also just remembered our honeymoon was June also and a treat after dinner was the local strawberries.

raptor117
362 posts
Joined May 2010

May 30, 2014 09:23 |  #23

A zoom and a prime. #4 24-105L and 35 1.4

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L | Sigma 12-24ii | Canon 24-70 f/4L IS | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC | Canon 70-300L | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 85 1.2Lii | Canon 135L
Canon 7D | Sigma 50-150 OS

Lbsimon
2,682 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 30, 2014 11:19 |  #24

bluosiris wrote in post #16939740 (external link)
For who asked I’m traveling to Catalonia (close to Barcelona).

Yes, my wife will be the most important thing to care of. Any of your advices are very precious..

I would also suggest you to take a small P&S with you. I always have the S110 in the pocket. When I want to have a photo of me with my wife, I do not want to hand a stranger a big and expensive SLR. Most tourists would not even know what to do with an SLR, they expect to see a picture on the rear display and get confused when it is black!

Barcelona is a great a fun city to be in, Gaudi architecture, great food, historical buildings, etc., but don't miss small places around it. I visited Monserratt, a monastery carved in the mountains, Girona - a medieval Jewish town which had all its population expelled to finance Columbus expedition. If you are into arts - make a point to go to Figueres. There is nothing to see in that town, but it has a major attraction - Dali's Theater-Museum. That is something!

Enjoy your trip!

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

May 30, 2014 18:37 |  #25

Lbsimon wrote in post #16940396 (external link)
When I want to have a photo of me with my wife, I do not want to hand a stranger a big and expensive SLR.

You should !!!
Plenty of people got my camera on their hands, first thing i do, i put the strap on their neck, and people really care when they have your camera on hands and it's always big smile, few minutes speaking about camera and you can see in their eyes they are a king of proud also ;)
When you ask people they are truly awesome in this case.

And if they don't know about the viewfinder, just switch to live view.

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Lbsimon
2,682 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 30, 2014 19:37 |  #26

No, I feel uncomfortable. And it is not the cost of the equipment - it is insured, but the fear that I will not have a camera for the rest of the trip. If I lose a P&S - who cares!

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

May 30, 2014 21:51 |  #27

Both zooms. And the 35 for evening.
If you really want to be safe, consider a tether for your bag and or camera.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,084 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Joined May 2008

May 30, 2014 23:37 |  #28

Schlepping a FF on a honeymoon? Are you in love with your gear?

I find I don't (usually) do good photography unless I can fully concentrate on the picture. Will you be able to do that on your honeymoon?

In a case like this, I would take a high end P&S or lightweight DSLR and leave the heavy gear at home.

The reviews say that the 100D/SL1 nearly matches a full frame in IQ.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 30, 2014 23:52 |  #29

Archibald wrote in post #16941621 (external link)
Schlepping a FF on a honeymoon? Are you in love with your gear?

I find I don't (usually) do good photography unless I can fully concentrate on the picture. Will you be able to do that on your honeymoon?

In a case like this, I would take a high end P&S or lightweight DSLR and leave the heavy gear at home.

The reviews say that the 100D/SL1 nearly matches a full frame in IQ.

they are going to a foreign country, they want to capture it all. I get it.
if the lady is cool with it, go for it.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

May 31, 2014 00:00 |  #30

I'd buy a top quality P&S and enjoy my vacation. I brought lots of gear with me over the years (I travel to Germany at least once a year, plus other parts of Europe) but found that I pretty much used my compact the most, a G12 and now a Sony. Unless I travel to take photos, I go light now, as long as light delivers good quality images. Gear and bags are combersome, sometimes you can't take them into a museum etc, sometimes you really don't want a camera bag on you. Well, or me, I don't :-)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

sponsored links

3,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
Travel Dilemma!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.