Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 22 Apr 2014 (Tuesday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hassy with CMOS sensor...??? What do you think? :)

oharing
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 22, 2014 08:52 |  #1

Hassy has launched a totally different camera system recently with CMOS sensor. Sony makes the sensor for the new H5D-50c camera.

What do you think? I know ISO speed will be much higher (ISO range of 100-6400) but it is a real breakthrough?

The new camera will gain capability to shott in low light but it may loose the beautiful color tones of the original MF digital sensors.

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links
Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 22, 2014 15:52 |  #2

Phase One and Pentax have done likewise - same sensor, too.

BDM
414 posts
Joined Jan 2004

May 11, 2014 16:56 |  #3

oharing wrote in post #16852452 (external link)
Hassy has launched a totally different camera system recently with CMOS sensor. Sony makes the sensor for the new H5D-50c camera.

What do you think? I know ISO speed will be much higher (ISO range of 100-6400) but it is a real breakthrough?

The new camera will gain capability to shott in low light but it may loose the beautiful color tones of the original MF digital sensors.

Interesting but at the price point Hassy is likely to ask for it it will have a very limited market. I would be much more interested is a reasonably priced digital back for my V system Hassy cameras. But they do not seem interested in anything under $20K in price. Frankly, the forthcominug Pentax MF camera with a 50 MP cmos sensor seems to be a better bet for us more ordinary mortals.

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 11, 2014 20:27 |  #4

BDM wrote in post #16897567 (external link)
Interesting but at the price point Hassy is likely to ask for it it will have a very limited market. I would be much more interested is a reasonably priced digital back for my V system Hassy cameras. But they do not seem interested in anything under $20K in price. Frankly, the forthcominug Pentax MF camera with a 50 MP cmos sensor seems to be a better bet for us more ordinary mortals.

I agree its more affordable to go with the Pentax, the only real reason to go Hassy or Phase is the bigger CMOS sensor (16bit), lens choices and leaf shutter for Higher sync speed. But if you can live with the 1/125 sync speed and wait for upcoming pentax lenses than Pentax is the way to go.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 12, 2014 04:13 |  #5

they do not seem interested in anything under $20K in price. Frankly, the forthcominug Pentax MF camera with a 50 MP cmos sensor seems to be a better bet for us more ordinary mortals.

50 megapixels and $20K for mere mortals? I need at least 75

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 12, 2014 04:29 |  #6

The entire high-end commercial photography market, in fact.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 30, 2014 10:54 |  #7

Keith R wrote in post #16853477 (external link)

I heard that Sony makes these sensors... Any confirmation on this?

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 30, 2014 10:55 |  #8

I agree. Very small market. Good luck selling them.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 30, 2014 13:46 |  #9

Here's a good deal that just came out on a Hassie H5D.

http://www.hasselbladu​sa.com/promotions/h5d-40-promo.aspx (external link)

Maybe they're trying to be more affordable with the new releases. That 16 bit dynamic range makes a big difference in the quality of the images.

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 30, 2014 14:10 |  #10

oharing wrote in post #16940332 (external link)
I heard that Sony makes these sensors... Any confirmation on this?

Yep, that's the word:
http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …he-mf-sensor-competition/ (external link)

alessandro2009
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 31, 2014 23:54 |  #11

Keith R wrote in post #16853477 (external link)

+1.

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 01, 2014 10:57 |  #12

CRCchemist wrote in post #16940668 (external link)
Here's a good deal that just came out on a Hassie H5D.

http://www.hasselbladu​sa.com/promotions/h5d-40-promo.aspx (external link)

Maybe they're trying to be more affordable with the new releases. That 16 bit dynamic range makes a big difference in the quality of the images.

Yes, I agree, if it is a real 16 bit range difference as they claim. I have heard this kind of claims before but there were not too much evidence when you see the resulting image.

Also, it is still a CMOS sensor lacking the color tones produced by the conventional MF sensors. People love those vibrant colors and deep tones. I guess images will look like Canon or Nikon images regarding color tones.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 01, 2014 13:09 |  #13

oharing wrote in post #16852452 (external link)

What do you think? I know ISO speed will be much higher (ISO range of 100-6400) but is it a real breakthrough?

Yes, you can still shoot CCD technology in the studio but now you can shoot sunsets without CCD blooming which is incredibly unforgiving for a $35k camera.

Does it beat out a d800e price vs performance?
No it does not.

The d800e is still the king of the best buy in town. Or the A7R for the rangefinder crowd.

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 01, 2014 19:54 |  #14

Yep. D800 until the new 5d Mark IV comes out.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 01, 2014 20:05 |  #15

jetcode wrote in post #16944426 (external link)
Yes, you can still shoot CCD technology in the studio but now you can shoot sunsets without CCD blooming which is incredibly unforgiving for a $35k camera.

Does it beat out a d800e price vs performance?
No it does not.

The d800e is still the king of the best buy in town. Or the A7R for the rangefinder crowd.

Your A7R has a rangefinder??? Lucky. Mine just has an EVF.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links

5,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hassy with CMOS sensor...??? What do you think? :)
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.