Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 May 2014 (Thursday) 23:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problems with SIgma 50mm 1.4 ART

Thestructured
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 30, 2014 22:52 |  #31

For anybody that's following this...I tested the lens on the 6d. It's off. It needs about +8 MA, but that SEEMS to be making it work with ALL the focus points on that camera. But considering it has special needs on both cameras..maybe I'll have to suck it up and send it to sigma. :[

2x Nikon D750// nikkor 24-70 2.8g // sigma 35mm 1.4 art// sigma 50mm 1.4 art// nikkor 85mm 1.4g// Nikkor 70-200 2.8 vr ii // 4x SB700// WL x3200 + x1600 http://www.marekkphoto​graphy.com (external link)

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 30, 2014 23:04 |  #32

Thestructured wrote in post #16941561 (external link)
For anybody that's following this...I tested the lens on the 6d. It's off. It needs about +8 MA, but that SEEMS to be making it work with ALL the focus points on that camera. But considering it has special needs on both cameras..maybe I'll have to suck it up and send it to sigma. :[

Camera bodies, just like lenses, can be calibrated differently while still being "in spec". A lens that is dead on on one body could be way off on another. Getting the lens calibrated will do nothing to change the fact that your camera bodies are at different end of the "in spec" calibration limits. That is why camera companies have build MFA into there bodies and why sigma has their USB dock.

Here is a good read before you waste your time sending a lens out

http://www.lensrentals​.com …lens-and-camera-variation (external link)

Thestructured
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 30, 2014 23:51 |  #33

gremlin75 wrote in post #16941574 (external link)
Camera bodies, just like lenses, can be calibrated differently while still being "in spec". A lens that is dead on on one body could be way off on another. Getting the lens calibrated will do nothing to change the fact that your camera bodies are at different end of the "in spec" calibration limits. That is why camera companies have build MFA into there bodies and why sigma has their USB dock.

Here is a good read before you waste your time sending a lens out

http://www.lensrentals​.com …lens-and-camera-variation (external link)

I know this stuff. I am aware. The difference here is that calibration on the 6d is making it better at all focus points, but on the 5d3 the degree of front focusing is far higher with the outer cross type focus points so MA is doing nothing to fix that. If you MA the outer points to be accurate, it screws up the center point, and vice versa.

I just tested a few lenses on both cameras to try to figure out what's going on. My 85L is perfect wide open on both cameras at all points. Magic eh?

my sigma 35mm 1.4 is pretty much spot on with both cameras as well. I did notice though, that the far right (CROSS TYPE ONLY ENABLED) points on my 5d3 are just as good as the center point, but the left ones are weaker with this lens but still within an acceptable range of focus. Then I swapped the sigma 50 art onto it and noticed that the far right points were indeed doing better than the left points, but the difference was more dramatic because of the shallower depth of field. This would normally point to a misaligned focus sensor...BUT, then why is the 85L working fine? However, the sigma 50 art is still sporadically completely misfocusing on top of that, and some times it seems to need MA, other times it seems better with none, it's just a hot mess.

I'm really not THAT picky about gear, I would rather focus on taking better photos and the art of photography, but this issue is resulting in completely blurry/unusable shots so it needs to be taken care of.

2x Nikon D750// nikkor 24-70 2.8g // sigma 35mm 1.4 art// sigma 50mm 1.4 art// nikkor 85mm 1.4g// Nikkor 70-200 2.8 vr ii // 4x SB700// WL x3200 + x1600 http://www.marekkphoto​graphy.com (external link)

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

May 31, 2014 10:40 as a reply to  @ Thestructured's post |  #34

I just confirmed my AF for the sig50Art on my 5Diii. Shooting at 8 feet. All focus points, top, bottom, center, live view, edges focuses consistently and all are spot on. I think you have a problem with your lens. Send it in.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 31, 2014 10:54 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

snake0ape wrote in post #16942241 (external link)
I just confirmed my AF for the sig50Art on my 5Diii. Shooting at 8 feet. All focus points, top, bottom, center, live view, edges focuses consistently and all are spot on. I think you have a problem with your lens. Send it in.

Yes! Or you'll be accused and convicted of trolling!

Dave

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,167 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 31, 2014 13:40 |  #36

Your post inspired me to test my lens via focal. Here are the results

Sigma 50 ART:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …igma50ART_zpsa9​db92b0.jpg (external link)

Canon 85 1.2II:

http://i14.photobucket​.com …on8512LII_zpsd2​6a1bb6.jpg (external link)

24-70 2.8II:

http://i14.photobucket​.com …24-7028II_zps15f6d697.jpg (external link)

Note that although the Sigma 50 seems to lose some resolution on the right AF points, its still well within acceptable range. (.5+ is considered acceptable). The 85 1.2 performed better, but not significantly so. It should be noted that the room I tested this in was lit via a window to the right of the frame, which could have affected the AF performance of both lenses.

24-70 2.8II, which has a particularly reliable AF system, is expectedly pretty consistent across the frame. General sharpness across the frame likely comes into play here too. We know that the 24-70 is tack sharp across the frame, while both the 85L and Sigma 50 lose resolution in the mid-frame where the outer AF points lie.

All in all, in my use the Sigma 50 ART focuses rather reliably across the frame. You might want to send yours back in.

Real world shot, right corner AF point (worst point according to my test):

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2927/14329740683_8176e5eea1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nQgE​Ex  (external link) DZ2A2510 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 01, 2014 23:25 |  #37

5D3 issue. I have the same problem with all my fast lenses. Centre 5 points are smack bang accurate but outer points are hit and miss.

Thestructured
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 04, 2014 00:00 as a reply to  @ cdang's post |  #38

but it doesn't behave that way with my 85L or sigma 35. Sent the lens to service. Wish me good luck.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,722 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 04, 2014 00:16 |  #39

Good luck!

Further to mystik's comments about the 24-70II, I've read that it (along with a number of Canon's newer lenses) when paired with a 5D3 or 1DX will provide a closed loop phase detect AF capability which is new to Canon bodies rather than the open loop that everything else older uses. Thus it should result in much better focus accuracy and consistency - almost to the level of live view contrast detect

Gear List

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 04, 2014 03:40 |  #40

You could try the usb lens calibration kit? That should work on all the ART lenses and is not expensive.

Thestructured
THREAD ­ STARTER
210 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 06, 2014 09:38 |  #41

The problem was that the focus shifted with camera distance so no AFMA or calibration via dock would be helpful (unless you can calibrate different amounts at different distances with the dock, I don't know)

Close up it was front focusing, medium distance it was fairly accurate, farther distances it was back focusing.

magwai wrote in post #16950451 (external link)
You could try the usb lens calibration kit? That should work on all the ART lenses and is not expensive.

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 06, 2014 09:40 |  #42

Thestructured wrote in post #16955423 (external link)
The problem was that the focus shifted with camera distance so no AFMA or calibration via dock would be helpful (unless you can calibrate different amounts at different distances with the dock, I don't know)

Close up it was front focusing, medium distance it was fairly accurate, farther distances it was back focusing.

You can use the dock to calibrate at 4 distances, IIRC. from b&h:

The Sigma USB Dock for Canon Lenses allows you to connect your Sigma Global Vision lenses to your computer in order to update firmware and adjust focus setting parameters using the Sigma Optimization Pro software.

This dock is only compatible with the Sigma Art, Contemporary, and Sports line lenses featuring a Canon EF lens mount.

Sigma Optimization Pro
Once a Sigma Art, Contemporary, or Sports line lens is connected, you can use the Sigma Optimization Pro software to configure focus settings and update lens firmware.
Focus Settings
For all lines of lenses, there are four categories for prime lenses and 16 categories (four options for focal length, four options for shooting distance) for zoom lenses available. These categories allow you to set certain focusing settings to better suit your personal shooting style.
Sports Line-Specific Settings
If using a Sports line lens, additional lens configurations are available: three different AF speed modes to modify how quickly the lens changes focus; the ability to constrain focus distances within a specific range to suit your personal shooting habits; and three Optical Stabilizer modes to suit the manner in which you are shooting.

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 06, 2014 11:48 |  #43

yea, if it was doing what you describe, the dock would have sorted that out for you.

I think its $60 well spent if you have a Sigma lens that can utilize it. Even if you have no desire to fiddle with focus accuracy, having instant access to the new firmware is a definite plus. If you do decide to adjust focus, little time and effort at home with your lens beats having to send it in.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

pinoyplaya
948 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 26, 2014 21:58 |  #44

Get the dock. Mine had to be calibrated to the following:

.4m = +18
.7m = +16
1.5m = +3
Infinity = +17

And I have the camera on +3 MicroAdjusment when using this lens. I still need to do more testing and refinement.

flickr (external link)Canon EOS 1D Mark III & WTB Canon 6D
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART
Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 580 EX II

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 26, 2014 22:02 |  #45

pinoyplaya wrote in post #16996818 (external link)
Get the dock. Mine had to be calibrated to the following:

.4m = +18
.7m = +16
1.5m = +3
Infinity = +17

And I have the camera on +3 MicroAdjusment when using this lens. I still need to do more testing and refinement.

Those numbers don't seem logical. What happens at .55m? Try at 10m too? Just focus on a letters taped on wall.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

sponsored links

24,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problems with SIgma 50mm 1.4 ART
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.