Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 28 May 2014 (Wednesday) 16:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CPS Gold Evaluation Loans for Super Telephotos?

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 28, 2014 16:27 |  #1

So I didn't realize that CPS Gold allowed evaluation loans.

Anyone have any experience with requesting loans for any of the super telephoto lenses like the 300mm 2.8 and 400mm 2.8?

I'm considering investing in one of them but before I do, I wanted to try it out on the field. I was actually thinking about renting both of them separately from one of those rental companies before I realized the CPS program provides loans just for this purpose.

I know that the Platnium level members are provided "priority" but I'm curious if anyone can share their experience with requesting these lenses as a Gold member during the football season.

Thanks in advance! :)

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

sponsored links
ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 28, 2014 20:50 |  #2

I did a gold loan 300 2.8. You can try any equipment twice. The terms changed recently and you get to keep it less time than before. Return shipping was about $80 so as that is the only expense it is way cheaper than renting. They have been helpful with the scheduling even though they say officially they won't.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

Czbrat271
611 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 28, 2014 21:46 as a reply to  @ ChunkyDA's post |  #3

Yeah I borrowed a 400 2.8 when I first joined. They let me keep it nearly 2 weeks. I then borrowed a 5d3 when it first came out to give it a test spin before I bought it. I few months ago I borrowed I 1DX. It was very hard to return that. Just waiting to hit the Powerball before I buy. Just have to pay to return it. Thankful I work for Walmart corporate and we get a huge discount from Fed-ex through out mail room.

John
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 29, 2014 11:34 |  #4

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a shot! :)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

May 29, 2014 12:00 |  #5

John wrote in post #16936588 (external link)
So I didn't realize that CPS Gold allowed evaluation loans.

Anyone have any experience with requesting loans for any of the super telephoto lenses like the 300mm 2.8 and 400mm 2.8?

I'm considering investing in one of them but before I do, I wanted to try it out on the field. I was actually thinking about renting both of them separately from one of those rental companies before I realized the CPS program provides loans just for this purpose.

I know that the Platnium level members are provided "priority" but I'm curious if anyone can share their experience with requesting these lenses as a Gold member during the football season.

Thanks in advance! :)

I used CPS Gold to get a 400 2.8 and a 1D IV for a 49ers game a couple of years ago. I had field passes so I wanted to take full advantage.

I emailed my request with the date range I wanted and was sent the items without issue.

I don't think there is that much to the Platinum priority as I doubt there are too many competing requests where you'd go head to head.

My mind was made up on the 1Dx based on that and I'm still working towards a 400... :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 30, 2014 07:00 |  #6

Remember guys, the loaners you get from CPS (at least from Nikon) isn't insured. So if it breaks or gets stolen you are responsible for the costs.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

John
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 30, 2014 09:43 |  #7

xchangx wrote in post #16939893 (external link)
Remember guys, the loaners you get from CPS (at least from Nikon) isn't insured. So if it breaks or gets stolen you are responsible for the costs.

Yup, totally get that. Definitely a good reminder.

Awesome work btw! Looking forward to college football season so I can see more of your work. :D

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

May 31, 2014 20:58 |  #8

John wrote in post #16940163 (external link)
Yup, totally get that. Definitely a good reminder.

Awesome work btw! Looking forward to college football season so I can see more of your work. :D

Thanks man! You have no idea how ready I am for college football to start.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

sponsored links

1,938 views & 0 likes for this thread
CPS Gold Evaluation Loans for Super Telephotos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.