Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 08:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Creative Cloud more than Doubles Price to renew!

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,157 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 01, 2014 08:43 |  #1

Just received notice that my Creative Cloud membership will go from 19.95 to 49.95 in July.
I wonder how many subscriptions besides mine Adobe will lose?

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 01, 2014 08:54 |  #2

BamPhoto wrote in post #16943867 (external link)
Just received notice that my Creative Cloud membership will go from 19.95 to 49.95 in July.

I was under the impression that the "listed" price for the full suite was about what you mention, around $50, it's just that the "special"/introductory​/discount price of about $20 is, well, a temporary special.

There is, though, the "CC for Photography" program which includes the Photoshop editor and Lightroom and is at a nice price.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 01, 2014 09:38 |  #3

BamPhoto wrote in post #16943867 (external link)

No different from cable or satellite TV and internet subscriptions, or how magazine subscriptions have been for decades. They set the hook and figure that you'll just surrender when the introductory offer ends. If you want or need it badly enough, or are sufficiently addicted, they have you for life.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,395 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 01, 2014 10:03 |  #4

That surprises you? It was just another big business gambit to drain more money from our wallets. Just one of the reasons that I chose not to subscribe.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,497 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 01, 2014 11:16 |  #5

This is why I avoid any kind of software subscription when ever I can. Its all a trap. Now they can keep getting paid every month whether they improve their product or not.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 01, 2014 11:52 |  #6

mike_d wrote in post #16944204 (external link)
This is why I avoid any kind of software subscription when ever I can. Its all a trap. Now they can keep getting paid every month whether they improve their product or not.

Or they can keep making you download "updates" that don't really do anything for your workflow, but keep you happy thinking that you have the "latest and greatest".

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

BamPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,157 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 01, 2014 12:54 |  #7

Yes there was a Special CC Full Version for $19.95 if you had a CS6 Suite.
I figured the price would go up, but not the Full amount, I would probably have paid $29.95. I would probably pay the $49.95 if you ended of with the version you were at when the subscription ends.
Either way I got all of CC for a year for $240 and that to me was worth it.
I may get the PS/LR deal for $9.95 when this expires, but there are some new options out there now I will be trying out.
I still have CS6 Web Premium that will do for quite some time.

tonylong wrote in post #16943887 (external link)
I was under the impression that the "listed" price for the full suite was about what you mention, around $50, it's just that the "special"/introductory​/discount price of about $20 is, well, a temporary special.
There is, though, the "CC for Photography" program which includes the Photoshop editor and Lightroom and is at a nice price.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 01, 2014 14:53 |  #8

BamPhoto wrote in post #16944395 (external link)
Yes there was a Special CC Full Version for $19.95 if you had a CS6 Suite.
I figured the price would go up, but not the Full amount, I would probably have paid $29.95. I would probably pay the $49.95 if you ended of with the version you were at when the subscription ends.
Either way I got all of CC for a year for $240 and that to me was worth it.
I may get the PS/LR deal for $9.95 when this expires, but there are some new options out there now I will be trying out.
I still have CS6 Web Premium that will do for quite some time.

Well, it sounds like you are on track for making the right move!

I don't have the CC, but I recall that the full suite price was going to be the $49 amount, and that the $20 "discount" was clearly only to be good for a year. They were up-front about that, so if one was paying any attention when they signed on to the $20 special, they did so knowing full well that the price would go up after the year. And I myself would expect it to go up to the full $49 price, not just half-way up for an ongoing discount price.

I don't get the folks who are acting as if Adobe has done something "wrong" here, when clearly they are doing what they said they would do and what you signed on to when you joined! If they had stated that the price would only go up half-way, then sure you could complain (and take legal action) but I never heard of them making any such statement!

But, like I said, I don't have the CC! I have Lightroom and CS5, in fact I haven't even gone for the $10 package, although there are some nice things to look at!

But your approach of considering either the $10 package or an alternative app is the smart approach! If you don't really want or need the full Suite, why bother?

But that's just me...!:)

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

battletone
503 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 01, 2014 17:15 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #9

I bought LR5 boxed and have CS5. Now I have to export things to tiff first to open in Photoshop since my 6D isn't recognized in PS's outdated camera Raw...even though it uses the same one as Lightroom? Beats me but unless adobe changes their tune for people whose living isn't made off this stuff, they will have lost me. OnOne needs some work but their editing is not terrible. And for $180 I can make due I think when the time comes.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 01, 2014 17:23 |  #10

My school employee rate went from 19.95 to 29.95 for the entire suite, but the rub is I only use Ps, Lr, and Pr. There is supposed to be a major CC subscription restructuring announcement on June 18th. I am wishing for a reasonably package price on the threesome.

Jim

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,497 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 01, 2014 17:26 |  #11

battletone wrote in post #16944930 (external link)
I bought LR5 boxed and have CS5. Now I have to export things to tiff first to open in Photoshop since my 6D isn't recognized in PS's outdated camera Raw...even though it uses the same one as Lightroom? Beats me but unless adobe changes their tune for people whose living isn't made off this stuff, they will have lost me. OnOne needs some work but their editing is not terrible. And for $180 I can make due I think when the time comes.

They probably figure you can use LR and/or PsElements.

battletone
503 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 01, 2014 17:46 |  #12

mike_d wrote in post #16944952 (external link)
They probably figure you can use LR and/or PsElements.

I am using lightroom, but I would imagine LR6 will go CC too. And elements is a terrible interface. They can figure all they want, but they are figuring themselves out my $600.

Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,497 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 01, 2014 17:49 |  #13

battletone wrote in post #16944984 (external link)
I am using lightroom, but I would imagine LR6 will go CC too. And elements is a terrible interface. They can figure all they want, but they are figuring themselves out my $600.

They've stated that LR will continue to be a separate product. Of course that could change in the future. The PsElements interface is fine as long as you don't use the easy/guided modes.

battletone
503 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 01, 2014 18:11 |  #14

mike_d wrote in post #16944989 (external link)
They've stated that LR will continue to be a separate product. Of course that could change in the future. The PsElements interface is fine as long as you don't use the easy/guided modes.

Well as someone who has used the normal program since 98, I would rather just upgrade every 3-4 years when I feel like it and be done and have everything I have come to love about it sitting there. I don't care if the rental version is actually cheaper and includes lightroom, I am a believer once you cede power to a subscription based system the company will lose focus and either implode due to a lack of valuable updates or they will feel free to raise costs without considering IF people will pay it. Plus it's just nice to know I don't have to upgrade or renew, I do it because I want to....that is what got them where they are today. If they want to be directv or a cable company then so be it, Adobe can get the same respect I have for those companies.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 01, 2014 18:29 |  #15

battletone wrote in post #16944930 (external link)

Your complaint is "old as the hills". CS5 is "old" and the Camera Raw processor won't open Raw files from cameras that were release after CS6 came out. This is nothing new, it's been around since the first Adobe Raw processor came out a bunch of years ago.

The answers would be:

1) Use LR to do all your Raw processing on all your Raw files, then just open as a tiff/psd in Photoshop as needed. This is the most common approach, I believe

2) Convert to the DNG format, an "open" format for Raw images that you can work with in the CS5 Camera Raw as well as Lightroom -- there may be limits to the compatibility between the two, I don't know, but enough people use DNG here that they can help you out with any questions

3) If you aren't happy with Lightroom and Photoshop, well, use the Canon Raw processing software Digital Photo Professional (DPP) and then take your pick of any image editor out there!

As to the Creative Cloud pricing, it's now back to the "normal" price of ~$50 per month for the full Creative Suite, that's what people who signed up for $20/month agreed to (after the "special" introductory period of 1 year).

If all you need is the photo processing software (which is compatible with your 6D) then you can continue to use the CC photo package for $10/month.

As to whether Lightroom will in some future version become CC only, well, time will tell, they've said they have no plans to do so. But, I am a happy user of LR4 together with CS5, they are compatible with my cameras, so I really don't at this point care even enough to upgrade to LR5! Yes, if I were to get a new camera, sure, but at this point I don't have the finances for a new camera, or an LR upgrade, or a CC subscription...

Tony

sponsored links

15,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
Creative Cloud more than Doubles Price to renew!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.