Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 22 May 2014 (Thursday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Deciding on primes

wiztek
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined May 2014

May 28, 2014 22:04 |  #16

Yeah, im going crazy. Im really leaning towards the 35 Sigma now.

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 29, 2014 12:52 |  #17

benji25 wrote in post #16925131 (external link)
You should buy a lens that fits your shooting style - not adapt your shooting style to a lens.

veritasimg wrote in post #16931802 (external link)
Why don't you look at the EXIF data on your images to determine what FL that your images seem to be the most?

Use facts.

This was gonna be approximately my post, too.

In Lightroom (and presumably in other organizational software such as Bridge or Aperture? idunno), you can filter based on a variety of metadata, including focal length. Go through your favorite images (or maybe all your images), and see which focal lengths you use the most, and which ones you're most naturally drawn to.

I like a long focal length, so were I in your shoes, I'd probably go with the 85 1.8, or more likely I would save up for a gently used 85L or 135L. The 135L gives you a little extra length that that your 24-105 can't provide. But my 70-200 does everything that I need right now, so I'm not going to spend that sort of scratch on an incremental image quality improvement. (but, but, the 85L, dat bokeh)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Digital ­ Story
327 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 29, 2014 12:57 |  #18

So maybe sell your 24-105 & 50/1.8 and buy S35/1.4 & EF85/1.8

ernest dlutek facebook page (external link) <-- Like? :)
6D & 550D ||| 24mm/1.8EX | 50mm/1.4EX | H58mm/2 44-4 | H85mm/1.5 40-2 | T150-600mmG2 |  --- me have

Jhodges11
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Nov 2012

May 30, 2014 14:12 |  #19

I have the 85 but for weddings i always find it either lacks reach i need for distanced shots or too tight for my group shots but great lens thought just don't recommend it for weddings

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 01, 2014 16:46 |  #20

My first pick for a first prime would be the 35mm 1.4. I think it's easier to get "used to" a prime on this one vs a 50mm or 85mm.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 01, 2014 16:47 |  #21

Oh and the 135mm is amazing! I got one a month ago and wow.....been using it for family photography and it blows away anything else I've ever used :)

Not sure about how great it is for weddings as I still favour the versatility of the 70-200mm

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

wiztek
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 01, 2014 19:50 |  #22

I bit the bullet and got a second hand 35mm 1.4 Sigma. Has some minor front focusing, but nothing i shouldnt be able to fix with MFA. Havent had a chance to really use it yet, but it is an awesome lens. Just from shooting around the house, it feels like the perfect FL.

I decided to keep the 24-105 for the versatility and to give me some wide angle access...

Will probably add a 85 next, but the 35 should keep me busy for a pretty long while :D

sponsored links

2,997 views & 0 likes for this thread
Deciding on primes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.