Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 29 May 2014 (Thursday) 00:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to record in HD with T3i?

RWJP
120 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 01, 2014 09:39 |  #16

I was just about to ask the same question as lozw...

From that video you uploaded you MUST have edited it to add the music in. I would imagine that when you finished editing it and rendered it out, you set it to render at 480p. You have to ensure that your render settings are appropriate for the video you are recording.

Gear:
EOS 600D w/ BG-E8| EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Speedlite 430EX II
Visit my Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
FernFloyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 01, 2014 22:50 |  #17

lozw wrote in post #16943672 (external link)
Are you sure you are only recording 480p, or is it just when you upload to Youtube you are only saving a 480p version?

What does the file say when you have copied it to your PC? right click on the .mov file and look at the details tab under properties. What does it show?

As long as you have the camera set to record 1080 then that is what it should be recording to your card.

But depending on how you then upload it to Youtube it may be that this process is converting it to 480p

I use Adobe Premier Elements for example, and in the 'upload to Youtube' option there are lots of different presets to chose from, ranging from 480p up to 1080 HD.

Well when i transfer the file i recorded from my camera to my computer and play it, it looks like crap.

FernFloyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 01, 2014 23:10 |  #18

RWJP wrote in post #16943965 (external link)
I was just about to ask the same question as lozw...

From that video you uploaded you MUST have edited it to add the music in. I would imagine that when you finished editing it and rendered it out, you set it to render at 480p. You have to ensure that your render settings are appropriate for the video you are recording.

But before I uploaded the video, i watched them on Windows Media Player and they looked ****ty. Then I edited them on Movie Maker and i had the same problem.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 01, 2014 23:36 |  #19

FernFloyd wrote in post #16937477 (external link)
I have a Canon T3i, watched tutorials on youtube on how to record in HD, but I'm still getting 480p resolutions videos straight out from the SD card.

Well this statement is definitely incorrect - can you dropbox one of your files off the card so we can actually see the source footage?

Playback in Windows Media Player doesn't really mean anything for gauging quality.

Joel

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 02, 2014 01:01 |  #20

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16945597 (external link)
Playback in Windows Media Player doesn't really mean anything for gauging quality.

Exactly.

Saying it looks sh*tty doesn't mean anything and sounds more like someone who doesn't know what they're doing so they resort to a crude description.

-If your camera is set up to record in full HD (1080) or HD (720) then it is probably doing just that. That can be checked by looking at the properties of the file when you save it to your computer (right click).

-The highest option on your Youtube video was 480, so you uploaded and/or rendered it at 480. There are so many different settings when rendering, it is easy to not render it at full resolution OR upload it at full resolution. Mess up either one of those steps and you'll end up with the max resolution choice on Youtube being 480 ;)
Check Youtube tutorials for how to render videos on Youtube. You might be very surprised at how many different ways there are to render videos and how to upload them that affect quality.

-Even if you record full HD it is possible to get sh*tty looking video because of poor settings, particularly with dark footage. Picture profile, shutter, ISO, Ap, and grading can all ruin footage regardless of the resolution shot at.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

FernFloyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 03, 2014 01:33 |  #21

BrickR wrote in post #16945712 (external link)
Exactly.

Saying it looks sh*tty doesn't mean anything and sounds more like someone who doesn't know what they're doing so they resort to a crude description.

-If your camera is set up to record in full HD (1080) or HD (720) then it is probably doing just that. That can be checked by looking at the properties of the file when you save it to your computer (right click).

-The highest option on your Youtube video was 480, so you uploaded and/or rendered it at 480. There are so many different settings when rendering, it is easy to not render it at full resolution OR upload it at full resolution. Mess up either one of those steps and you'll end up with the max resolution choice on Youtube being 480 ;)
Check Youtube tutorials for how to render videos on Youtube. You might be very surprised at how many different ways there are to render videos and how to upload them that affect quality.

-Even if you record full HD it is possible to get sh*tty looking video because of poor settings, particularly with dark footage. Picture profile, shutter, ISO, Ap, and grading can all ruin footage regardless of the resolution shot at.

Thanks, dude.

lozw
224 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2014

Jun 04, 2014 15:17 |  #22

So, have you done as people asked and checked the properties of the movie file you have copied from the camera?
And have you checked what settings you are using when you upload it to YouTube?

People are trying to help, but if you don't answer the questions that are asked, I am not sure what more you expect to get.

flickr (external link)

FernFloyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 07, 2014 23:53 |  #23

lozw wrote in post #16951699 (external link)
So, have you done as people asked and checked the properties of the movie file you have copied from the camera?
And have you checked what settings you are using when you upload it to YouTube?

People are trying to help, but if you don't answer the questions that are asked, I am not sure what more you expect to get.

I've been busy and havent shot any new video. I'll record something tomrorow.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 07, 2014 23:59 |  #24

FernFloyd wrote in post #16958452 (external link)
I've been busy and havent shot any new video. I'll record something tomrorow.

Turn on camera. Aim at wall. Start recording for 10 seconds. Copy file from memory card and upload somewhere without involving any video editing software - just the unmodified original file. Nothing more needed.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

FernFloyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 08, 2014 00:04 |  #25

pwm2 wrote in post #16958458 (external link)
Turn on camera. Aim at wall. Start recording for 10 seconds. Copy file from memory card and upload somewhere without involving any video editing software - just the unmodified original file. Nothing more needed.

I have something recorded. Lets see if this works. Give me a few minutes.

FernFloyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 08, 2014 00:08 |  #26

pwm2 wrote in post #16958458 (external link)

There you go.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FernFloyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 08, 2014 00:14 |  #27

I uploaded the video to youtube and it says it can be viewed at 1080p resolution. The video I shared with you guys a few weeks ago was shot at night with low lighting, and this one I just uploaded was shot during the day. That sucks. So now I have to shoot during the day?

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,239 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2014 00:14 as a reply to  @ FernFloyd's post |  #28

That's 1080 x 1920 HD video.

Mark

FernFloyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 08, 2014 00:15 |  #29

rrblint wrote in post #16958470 (external link)
That's 1080 x 1920 HD video.

I know.

FernFloyd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 08, 2014 00:15 |  #30

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=B8CFKOLoPpU (external link)

It still doesnt look as clear as other video I've seen people record at home. Maybe they have a better camera than mine.

sponsored links

5,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to record in HD with T3i?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.