Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 08:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Creative Cloud more than Doubles Price to renew!

rgs
Goldmember
2,396 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 01, 2014 23:19 |  #16

As others have said, this is why I resist cloud computing. I have LR 5 and PS 5.1 as well as some plugins and other software. I have all I need and feel no need for a newer PS version. I will upgrade LR until it goes web only (if it does). Then I will stick with my LR version until something better comes along - as it surely will. There are too many of us who are not willing to submit to Adobe's extortion (probably too strong a word but that's about how it feels).

That's also why my image files remain RAW instead of DNG. I know DNG makes really good sense and is supposed to be "open" format but who knows if it will be supported by whatever editor follows Adobe.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 01, 2014 23:36 |  #17

:):) Yeah, I think that "extortion" is "too strong a word"! Try calling it it "profit-making at our expense", after all, that's how businesses make profits, "at our expense"!!:):)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,497 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 01, 2014 23:57 |  #18

tonylong wrote in post #16945596 (external link)
:):) Yeah, I think that "extortion" is "too strong a word"! Try calling it it "profit-making at our expense", after all, that's how businesses make profits, "at our expense"!!:):)

I have no problem paying for something when I derive satisfaction or utility from it. What I resent are companies that want lock people in and milk them endlessly without providing anything for it. This is the same reason I finally ditched cable TV. I'm much happier paying for Amazon Prime, Netflix, and the occasional DVD or video on demand.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 02, 2014 00:16 |  #19

mike_d wrote in post #16945625 (external link)
I have no problem paying for something when I derive satisfaction or utility from it. What I resent are companies that want lock people in and milk them endlessly without providing anything for it. This is the same reason I finally ditched cable TV. I'm much happier paying for Amazon Prime, Netflix, and the occasional DVD or video on demand.

Ah, well, if you don't want/need the Adobe product CC services, then it's pretty simple, as in the examples you mentioned, just don't use it:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 02, 2014 07:29 |  #20

tonylong wrote in post #16945596 (external link)

I don't like it either, but one also has to look at it from Adobe's viewpoint. One of the primary reasons for going to the cloud was to stop pirating. Using the the product without paying is in the long run at "my expense."

Jim

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 02, 2014 08:09 |  #21

jemanner wrote in post #16946056 (external link)
I don't like it either, but one also has to look at it from Adobe's viewpoint. One of the primary reasons for going to the cloud was to stop pirating. Using the the product without paying is in the long run at "my expense."

IIRC, pirated versions of CC were available within 24 hours of release.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 02, 2014 08:50 |  #22

battletone wrote in post #16944930 (external link)
I bought LR5 boxed and have CS5. Now I have to export things to tiff first to open in Photoshop since my 6D isn't recognized in PS's outdated camera Raw...even though it uses the same one as Lightroom? Beats me but unless adobe changes their tune for people whose living isn't made off this stuff, they will have lost me. OnOne needs some work but their editing is not terrible. And for $180 I can make due I think when the time comes.

CS5 is definitely not the same version of ACR as LR5.4 (the latest update for camera support). Every new body uses a different RAW version, so Adobe has to update software to accommodate it. The 6D was released near the end of the CS6 lifespan, so CS5's ACR module would not have been updated to include it - that would only have been done for CS6. In LR5.4 the ACR version is 8.4. What version is the ACR module in your PS?

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Dragoro
268 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 02, 2014 09:21 |  #23

Mine just renewed last month for the same price of 11 a month. The 40 dollar subscription is for the complete suite, not just PS and LR.

Nikon D810:
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G AF-S ED LENS
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD
Benjamin Timmins Photography (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 02, 2014 09:31 |  #24

battletone wrote in post #16944930 (external link)
I bought LR5 boxed and have CS5. Now I have to export things to tiff first to open in Photoshop since my 6D isn't recognized in PS's outdated camera Raw...even though it uses the same one as Lightroom?

the version of ACR in CS5 is not the same version as the one in LR5. the CS5 version predates your 6D so you can't expect it to support a camera that didn't exist. However LR5 does support it so you can edit your RAW files in that just fine and then export to Photoshop if you need to do things that require layers etc.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 02, 2014 11:27 |  #25

D Thompson wrote in post #16946121 (external link)
IIRC, pirated versions of CC were available within 24 hours of release.

Yes, fairly sure they even had a few blog posts about how they didn't expect the new model to have any real impact on 'defeating' piracy rates, and the only real impact the new system might have on it is people who feel the new pricing model was easier/safer than a bootleg copy.

The new model is development and cash flow related only, with nothing to address piracy. There is no support for 'old' versions anymore, no security patches for anything beyond the 'current' product in a given line because that is all there is. Plus the whole "Roll a feature out to users when it is ready" bit, which is far better than having to try and wait for a new 'box version' with dozens of new features hitting the live world at once. It makes testing and work flow so much easier from the stand point of software development.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 02, 2014 14:26 |  #26

I have things that rattle around in my head, so some fresh thoughts:

When you subscribe to the CC, you are in effect "leasing" the Adobe products. I've never leased a car, but hey, when you do you get to drive a nice brand-spanking new car! Hey, I can appreciate that, since I have rented nice new cars for brief bits of time...:)

But then, when the lease expires, no more car! Dang, my toy and all its cool things, it's gone!

'Course, people lease because they can afford or don't want to buy a new car, so that's part of the understanding, you aren't buying, you won't own this car!

But then, something that is available of interest is the "Lease to Buy" idea, the idea that you can jump into a lease, and then, at whatever extra cost (there of course will be that "extra cost") you can actually buy the thing!

This is not only out there for cars, but also for homes, and then we see the "Rent to Own" stores full of furniture and stuff, I'm sure each "segment" has a different approach as to how the "lease/own" bit gets managed, but the end result is if you are leasing (or renting) some such thing, then at the end of the lease if you are happy with it and can shell out the money, then it's yours to keep!

So, I was pondering this in the context of this discussion: at this point, Adobe has begun to "lease" the software, but what about the idea of them developing a "lease to buy" plan, where once you've done the monthly thing for however long, you could, according to an arrangement with them, "buy out" the lease and in return get the software "permanently".

Of course, though, that would put an end to the ongoing updates...as it has been, once they come out with a new "model", well, you are now driving an old "beater", it's paid for, but...

Well, at any rate, those thoughts were rattling. Maybe those who like the "lease to own" idea could bring it up to Adobe and see if there is something that is possible and feasible, in other words, something that would make you happy but also keep the Adobe profits flowing!:)

Tony

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Jun 02, 2014 14:35 |  #27

Boy, there are times I'm glad I'm an amateur. The free cloud storage I get from Google and Microsoft are plenty for my jpeg's ... and free FastStone software also gets the job done for me.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,497 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 02, 2014 14:37 |  #28

tonylong wrote in post #16946913 (external link)
I have things that rattle around in my head, so some fresh thoughts:

When you subscribe to the CC, you are in effect "leasing" the Adobe products. I've never leased a car, but hey, when you do you get to drive a nice brand-spanking new car! Hey, I can appreciate that, since I have rented nice new cars for brief bits of time...:)

But then, when the lease expires, no more car! Dang, my toy and all its cool things, it's gone!

'Course, people lease because they can afford or don't want to buy a new car, so that's part of the understanding, you aren't buying, you won't own this car!

But then, something that is available of interest is the "Lease to Buy" idea, the idea that you can jump into a lease, and then, at whatever extra cost (there of course will be that "extra cost") you can actually buy the thing!

This is not only out there for cars, but also for homes, and then we see the "Rent to Own" stores full of furniture and stuff, I'm sure each "segment" has a different approach as to how the "lease/own" bit gets managed, but the end result is if you are leasing (or renting) some such thing, then at the end of the lease if you are happy with it and can shell out the money, then it's yours to keep!

So, I was pondering this in the context of this discussion: at this point, Adobe has begun to "lease" the software, but what about the idea of them developing a "lease to buy" plan, where once you've done the monthly thing for however long, you could, according to an arrangement with them, "buy out" the lease and in return get the software "permanently".

Of course, though, that would put an end to the ongoing updates...as it has been, once they come out with a new "model", well, you are now driving an old "beater", it's paid for, but...

Well, at any rate, those thoughts were rattling. Maybe those who like the "lease to own" idea could bring it up to Adobe and see if there is something that is possible and feasible, in other words, something that would make you happy but also keep the Adobe profits flowing!:)

That's the last thing Adobe wants. They hate people who skip versions before upgrading. They want you paying and paying and paying. Killing the ability to buy a copy and use it until you're ready to upgrade is what rubs a lot of people the wrong way about CC.

battletone
503 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 02, 2014 14:46 |  #29

Preeb wrote in post #16946194 (external link)
CS5 is definitely not the same version of ACR as LR5.4 (the latest update for camera support). Every new body uses a different RAW version, so Adobe has to update software to accommodate it. The 6D was released near the end of the CS6 lifespan, so CS5's ACR module would not have been updated to include it - that would only have been done for CS6. In LR5.4 the ACR version is 8.4. What version is the ACR module in your PS?

I mean ACR is the same thing....so if my lightroom is updated, I see no reason photoshop cannot also derive the same ACR install for use. I am aware the actual ACR is different. It's just another way to force an upgrade.

Cameras: 5D Mark IV, EOS 3, Elan 7
Lenses:15mm 2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm 2.8L II, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L, 70-200L II IS
Tripod: Gitzo GT2531, Arca-Swiss Z1, RRS PC-LR
Lights: Photogenic PL1250 x2, 1500SL x1, Canon 580ex, YN 568ex II

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 02, 2014 14:54 |  #30

tonylong wrote in post #16946913 (external link)

Tony - I've mentioned this many times here and to Adobe.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links

15,439 views & 0 likes for this thread
Creative Cloud more than Doubles Price to renew!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.