Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Jun 2014 (Monday) 07:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cannot Import RAW Files into Lightroom CC. Help

ganginwood
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2014 07:32 |  #1

Canon 5D Mark III to Lightroom CC. I can see the preview for the import but it does not grab the file to place in the library.
I get an error saying that it cannot convert the file. I had this with LR 3 but I assumed it was a compatibility issue since the 5DIII came out much later. But now I get this with LR CC. I'm sure this is an easy fix but I need a little guidance.

Thanks,
Kevin

sponsored links
DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 02, 2014 07:55 |  #2

There isn't a Lightroom CC. Latest version, even for CC subscribers, is LR5. Are you sure you're not shooting in JPEG (since the error is saying it can't convert the file and JPEGs can't be converted to DNG, assuming you copy to DNG when you import).

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

ganginwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2014 07:59 |  #3

Ok. So then its LR5 and no, the images are RAW. The jpegs slide right in. I guess I should start with the "check for updates" button that comes up at the bottom of the error. I just assumed that the updates would have been there with the latest edition of LR when I downloaded it since th mark III came out 2 years ago.

Here is the error.

"the files are from a camera which is not recognized by the RAW format support in LightRoom"

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,387 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 02, 2014 11:16 |  #4

You should be running LR5.4 with Camera RAW version 8.4. If not you need to update.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ganginwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2014 11:23 |  #5

i'll check when I get home.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 02, 2014 13:50 |  #6

I don't recall when LR5 was first released, but yeah, you need to update, since it needs to be updated for any new camera to be supported...

Report back!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 02, 2014 17:43 |  #7

Minimum LR version required for 5D Mark III raw is LR 4.1
http://helpx.adobe.com …ug-supported-cameras.html (external link)

ganginwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2014 18:49 |  #8

I'm running version 5.3

ganginwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2014 19:00 |  #9

riddle me this

i cannot import the 5diii raw images from my 5d iii or my 5d ii but if i place the cf card in my 7d it imports the files as DNG's, which is fine

i did read somewhere that there is an issue with the 5diii on imports and its recommended that you use a card reader.

caveat emptor, using the 5diii images from the 7d on LR 3 does not work at all.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,387 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 02, 2014 20:00 |  #10

LR3 wont process 5Diii images because the iii wasn't released when LR2 was available and isn't compatible.

It sounds like your issue is related to your transfer set up. I would suggest trying a card reader.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ganginwood
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 03, 2014 08:17 |  #11

None of it makes sense. If I have the latest version of LR and it is compatible with a 5diii, I should be able to plug the camera into the computer and transfer away.

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 03, 2014 08:59 |  #12

You stated you're running 5.3. Have you tried updating to 5.4 (the latest version) to see if that fixes the issue?

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 03, 2014 09:45 |  #13

ganginwood wrote in post #16948460 (external link)
None of it makes sense. If I have the latest version of LR and it is compatible with a 5diii, I should be able to plug the camera into the computer and transfer away.

How about trying to "plug the camera into the computer" and transfer to a folder on your Desktop and then import from there? Might help to clarify where the problem is.

Elie / אלי

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,020 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 03, 2014 10:01 |  #14

morph2_7 wrote in post #16947335 (external link)
Minimum LR version required for 5D Mark III raw is LR 4.1
http://helpx.adobe.com …ug-supported-cameras.html (external link)

Thank you for this, as I was reading above I was thinking "I am opening 5DIII files in LR, and I only have LR4!" :)
Still , many keep posting about updating LR even after your clarification.

I think the issue is more to do with the communication with the camera.

Kevin, almost no one actually plugs the camera in to the PC. Thus our chasing our tales around.
I'd suggest if you can use a card reader and get the results you want, maybe that's the way to go.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 03, 2014 10:44 |  #15

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16948641 (external link)
Thank you for this, as I was reading above I was thinking "I am opening 5DIII files in LR, and I only have LR4!" :)
Still , many keep posting about updating LR even after your clarification.

I think the issue is more to do with the communication with the camera.

Kevin, almost no one actually plugs the camera in to the PC. Thus our chasing our tales around.
I'd suggest if you can use a card reader and get the results you want, maybe that's the way to go.

No problem. I guess some people don't read all the replies.

Kevin (OP), some people at Canon forum have a similar problem and got it fixed by firmware update. Here's the link:
http://forums.usa.cano​n.com …ing-RAW/td-p/19043/page/3 (external link)

If you must use the current firmware version, just transfer with a card reader as Jake suggests.

sponsored links

2,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cannot Import RAW Files into Lightroom CC. Help
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.