Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 07:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bolt Cyclonee dr pp-400dr vs. Godox PB960

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 04, 2014 07:02 |  #1

To me these seem like the exact same battery packs. I know the Cheetahstand L4500 is made by Godox, they disclose that. They are all 4500 mAH Lithium-Ion packs

Some say the Godox is a cheap copy of the Bolt but to me they appear to be identical except for warranty. Even the chargers are identical which is unusual.

Is the quality of this specific Bolt battery pack any different to warrant its much higher price tag?

Also does anyone know how many charging cycles these packs are good for?

Look forward to your comments.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links
malow
169 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 04, 2014 07:39 |  #2

well, if one cost 2 times the price of the other one, and have the same benefits, i think there's no much discussion which one to get ;)

in my opinion, and with my small knowledge in electronics, devices like this that uses higher voltages are "inherently better", cause they use lower currents and have less "components stress", because if you use lower voltage/high current, the components have to be higher grade, and they generate higher heat, shortening lifespan.

so this battery packs that use lithium, or other batteries with higher voltages (11.1v for example), are more likely to work well for a long time than the standards "AA battery" ones, in result, more unlikely you get a bad one or one that goes bad quickly.

li-ion/lipo are rated between 300 to 500 cycles. the cycle life is calculated till the battery holds about 80% of the original capacity. can last less or more depending on user operation. keeping them fully-charged always, reduces lifetime. discharging them till empty reduces lifetime. too hot environments reduce lifetime, etc...

just make sure you get from a brand that sell spare batteries and get the cheaper one ;)

mods: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/malow/ (external link)

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 04, 2014 08:25 |  #3

Thanks, wasn't really asking a question about operating voltage. Both packs offer the exact same operating voltage.

While I agree that lower current is good operating voltage for electronic components directly effects their cost. Higher voltage IC processing is more expensive per unit area. As a semiconductor IC designer and a battery fuel gauge architect that works in the mobile device market segment I know that there is a huge variation in the quality and robustness of battery pack designs. Some will buy lower voltage components and over stressed the voltage and provide a lower warranty. Others will do the "right" thing and pick properly rated components.

Also charging solution's can be properly designed or be very dirty which impacts the overall cycle life of the battery which is why you see such large variations in cycles. Some will try to charge quickly offering that as a feature but it ages the battery back faster. 300 vs 500 cycles. With the right charging strategy you can get to 800 cycles and still charge quickly but chargers IC's like this are 2 to 3 times the cost because of their sophistication. These will start showing up in the some of the next generation cell phones. Suppliers like Apple, Samsung Motorola are not completely convinced that customer will pay the higher price for the reduced charge time just yet.

Also some Li-ion chemistry specifics effect output voltage. 11.1 is a nominal voltage. Or about 3.6 - 3.65 x 3. When fully charge the unit cell can be 4.2 or even 4.35V depending on the design and so a full charge voltage can be 12.9 or 13 volts

So back to my original question. Are these two packs the same design and battery or are they different in some way.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,718 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 04, 2014 17:59 |  #4

To directly answer your question, Steve, see:
https://photography-on-the.net …?p=16932917&pos​tcount=309
The information also applies to Bolt, of course, and to the PB960 / L4500 / Atom / whatever power packs. They're all re-brands of Godox products with different paint on. Simple as that.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 04, 2014 19:19 |  #5

Thanks. That is what I thought. I also got Elvis over at Flash Havoc to confirm. I feel as a trusted reviewer his was a good resource to tie in. I'm sure each of the resellers potentially offer different support and warranties which is their justification for their end user price. The Bolt price at B&H and Amazon though is substantially higher that appears to hard to justify.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Gear List

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,718 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 05, 2014 16:32 |  #6

swldstn wrote in post #16952150 (external link)
Thanks. That is what I thought. I also got Elvis over at Flash Havoc to confirm. I feel as a trusted reviewer his was a good resource to tie in. I'm sure each of the resellers potentially offer different support and warranties which is their justification for their end user price. The Bolt price at B&H and Amazon though is substantially higher that appears to hard to justify.

There are a lot of people whose discriminatory faculties only run as far as "If it's more expensive, it stands to reason it must be better otherwise they wouldn't charge that price".

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

sponsored links

3,188 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bolt Cyclonee dr pp-400dr vs. Godox PB960
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.