Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 19:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Underwater housing for 5D Mark I

Anthrax15
196 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 03, 2014 19:16 |  #1

I'll soon be diving and would love to be able to bring my DSLR. I can't seem to find a housing for the 5Dc. Earliest is the Mark II. Am I SOL if I want to bring my main rig?

5D MkII|24-105L|50 F1.8|100 F2.8|
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 03, 2014 21:14 |  #2

My Friend has a Ikelite housing for his 5Dc it did leak once but he had it for a long time and got it used , will try to get more info from him .

David

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

Anthrax15
THREAD ­ STARTER
196 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 04, 2014 15:45 |  #3

Is my camera just too old?

flickr (external link)

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 04, 2014 20:20 |  #4

I have an Aquatica housing for the 5D(it's later model so it takes aqua view finders) and a 8" dome port if you're interested.

I also have an Ikelite for the 40D/50D in case you also have one those bodies also and decide to go that route.

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jun 04, 2014 20:34 |  #5

I tried to find a housing for my XTi when I started diving, as I never use my old body anymore. I never had any luck finding a housing for an older body for sale at any retailers.

If you browse the photography classifieds on scubaboard you occasionally find housings for sale for older bodies. I never saw one come up for a reasonable price, but I'd start there first to see if you can snag one.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 04, 2014 21:53 |  #6

Are you just learning to dive? If so skip the camera other than maybe a point and shoot for the first 30 dives. The work load is too high until you can actually control your buoyancy and not suck through your tank in 30 minutes. After that then look into a dslr/housing. I think UW a crop is the way to go for greater DoF and smaller kit. Some locations are macro heavy where that is a huge benefit.

If you look around you will see a technology chaser dumping their current kit for the newest thing. Cameras are cheap, housings, strobes and good lenses are not. UW light is king, lenses are queen, camera bodies are jacks. That said not flooding them is above all.

Safe diving, it is my favorite activity and I wish I could do it more.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

Anthrax15
THREAD ­ STARTER
196 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 04, 2014 23:59 |  #7

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #16952284 (external link)
I have an Aquatica housing for the 5D(it's later model so it takes aqua view finders) and a 8" dome port if you're interested.

I also have an Ikelite for the 40D/50D in case you also have one those bodies also and decide to go that route.

What are you asking for the 5D housing? Can you link me any info on it?

flickr (external link)

Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 05, 2014 02:00 |  #8

You would likely be limited to buying used now, I can't see any suppliers still making the housings for the old 5D when Canon is on to the 3rd version now.

As mentioned if your just starting diving then forget the camera until you have the basics of diving mastered and I don't mean just being able to go down and come back up in ideal conditions with no issues.

Gear List

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 05, 2014 12:04 |  #9

As other have mentioned get some practice in before trying to dive with camera gear. You're going to need master buoyancy control and will want to learn some kicks used to for tech diving(both will help you frame you shots, keep you and surrounding life safe, and minimize stirring up any silt).

Anthrax15 wrote in post #16952682 (external link)
What are you asking for the 5D housing? Can you link me any info on it?

Here's a link to Aquatica's legacy page (external link) it looks like the T2i is the oldest housing that still has a product page but they still have the owner's manual linked for the 5D.

I'll need to look into what the going rate for the housing. I'll send you a PM later with pictures and prices.

MikeBurtonPhillipson
256 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 06, 2014 07:31 |  #10

TTuna Eye wrote in post #16952484 (external link)
Are you just learning to dive? If so skip the camera other than maybe a point and shoot for the first 30 dives. The work load is too high until you can actually control your buoyancy and not suck through your tank in 30 minutes. After that then look into a dslr/housing. I think UW a crop is the way to go for greater DoF and smaller kit. Some locations are macro heavy where that is a huge benefit.

If you look around you will see a technology chaser dumping their current kit for the newest thing. Cameras are cheap, housings, strobes and good lenses are not. UW light is king, lenses are queen, camera bodies are jacks. That said not flooding them is above all.

Safe diving, it is my favorite activity and I wish I could do it more.

+1 to all of the above...

Especially when you start taking a fully DSLR rig underwater, and strobes (i.e u/w flash) and it's quite a lump to man-handle around and your diving and especially buoyancy needs to be second nature .. very easy to get absorbed in photography at the expense of safe diving and the potential to bump/knock/damage the environment your photographing..

I still use my little 400D and even when new the camera is a fraction of the cost compared to the housing, ports and strobes.. here's a pic of my setup..

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2932/14357858964_fcd008d01b_o.jpg

In fact alot of u/w togs I know are switching to mirrorless 4/3 systems as they are much less bulky and shutter lag and image quality has improved considerably.. whatever housing you go for you'll be using that camera some time and upgrading the housing can be prohibitively expensive..

Anyway.. hope that helps and enjoy your diving.. :)

Regards,

Mike

5DmkIII | 7D | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS | 100mm F2.8 Macro | 15-85 IS | 400D | Tokina 10-17 fisheye | 400D Ikelite Underwater housing |
http://www.mikeburtonp​hillipson.co.uk (external link)

Anthrax15
THREAD ­ STARTER
196 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 06, 2014 15:23 |  #11

Well thanks for the info everyone! I'll probably just get a GoPro and call it a day lol

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
Underwater housing for 5D Mark I
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.