Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 17:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help deciding on a bag... messenger, backpack etc?

digitalduck
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 03, 2014 17:15 |  #1

Hey guys,

I need a bag recommendation, this is harder than I thought  I am looking to stay around the $40 range since I can get the Lowpro messenger 250 for $38 I think, although I don’t like the black as much as the olive or whatever, which is $20 more at amazon  Anyway here is my gear list:

Canon 60D
Sigma 17-50 OS
Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC
Yongnuo 568 ex II
A couple 622’s

Misc filters, charger etc…

I almost got the Amazon gear backpack but it looked deceptively small… so now its either a back pack or a messenger bag.. I like the messenger and was wondering if the 250 will hold everything or will it be too big or small? Any other ideas from Amazon? (have a credit)

sponsored links
ra40
822 posts
Gallery: 332 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 04, 2014 14:08 |  #2

What are you carrying your gear in now while out?

During our Hawaii trip I carried the Crumpler 5Mil and come end of the day, my back ached from the offset load of the 5D-III, 24-70/2.8. 3-ND filters, timer remote. G-15 attached to accessory loop and a RRS TFA-01 mini tripod attached to the other accessory loop. Batteries, memory cards, etc. Maybe an 18# load.

The ease to access the gear was fine but I dislike the weight distribution if not shooting and the camera is in the bag. If you are going to hoof into locations, a backpack may be a better recommendation. If doing short jaunts, a messenger style bag is fine.

Few to none will be "perfect" but they will be useable. I have gone through plenty of bags and still hunt them down when the desires change. Buy it, try it and if it doesn't bring about any gripes, you did well.

digitalduck
THREAD ­ STARTER
595 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 04, 2014 16:05 |  #3

ra40.. Right now im just using my work bag which is a messenger style just thinner then something like the messenger 250. I was looking at the Amazon backpack but people said its really small. I think now I may do something like the 250 until I can afford a nice bakcpack that is big enough, unless you can reccommend a decent sized, inexpensive one :)

RGNY
101 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 04, 2014 20:25 |  #4

I have the Lowepro messenger and like the way it feels ant it holds a ton of stuff

yslee
34 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 05, 2014 11:17 |  #5

Oh no, you don't get to get away with just ONE bag. No one leaves here alive with that! It's always ONE bag, until you realise you want something smaller/bigger/faster/​more comfortable/whatever, and before you know it you have ten bags and wondering where all the space in your study went...

PS. The Lowepro should work though.

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 07, 2014 06:05 |  #6

yslee wrote in post #16953508 (external link)
Oh no, you don't get to get away with just ONE bag. No one leaves here alive with that! It's always ONE bag, until you realise you want something smaller/bigger/faster/​more comfortable/whatever, and before you know it you have ten bags and wondering where all the space in your study went...

Yes, so true. I just bought another one for an upcoming trip. I think I have 6 now...

Hello. My name is Gibbit1, and I'm a bagaholic.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

Indiana25
44 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 07, 2014 07:46 |  #7

digitalduck wrote in post #16949527 (external link)
Hey guys,
I need a bag recommendation, this is harder than I thought  I am looking to stay around the $40 range since I can get the Lowpro messenger 250 for $38 I think, although I don’t like the black as much as the olive or whatever, which is $20 more at amazon  Anyway here is my gear list:

It depends on your shooting preferences and context for your shooting. When I shoot, I am on the go and on foot. I prefer a messenger bag because I try to go lean and mean... take what I think I need and only that. I usually regret more taking stuff I did not need rather than missing a shot or two. If I'm loaded down, I tend to become uninspired more quickly. I also don't like advertising that I have a lot of gear with me.

There is a thread on here in making your own 'stealth camera bag' from a Black Rapids messenger bag. Aside from covering how people have set theirs up, there's some alternatives you could look at.

rgs
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 07, 2014 07:48 |  #8

Consider a belt. I use a simple web belt from Lowes ($5 in the tool section with the more elaborate tool belts) and Tamarac pouches. I carry the camera with 1lens attached and use pouches on the belt for anything else. Lightweight, inexpensive, easy to carry, and my stuff is always handy. When not on the belt, my gear is in a $50 Canon backpack.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links

1,582 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help deciding on a bag... messenger, backpack etc?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.