Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 09:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon T3i Not taking Crisp Pictures- HELP

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 05, 2014 11:57 |  #16

Its still not showing the exif data. Thats the background information that tells us what your shutter speed was etc. However you are doing your editing and saving is likely stripping that data out.

sponsored links
morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 05, 2014 12:00 |  #17

Yup, EXIF data is still missing. I downloaded 1 full size image (10MB). It looks soft.

KristyM
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 05, 2014 12:05 |  #18

ok how about this

https://www.flickr.com …24400488@N02/14​351759352/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …24400488@N02/14​166839287/ (external link)

Canon Rebel T3i, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm, 55-250mm

TheBigDog
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 05, 2014 12:16 |  #19

little johny wrote in post #16953555 (external link)
Your pictures look terrible for a T3i.

I certainly wouldn't go this far at all.
The white balance is off, and if you're shooting with the 85 1.8 for the first time and shooting wide open it's very easy to miss focus and have the photos come out soft. What AF mode were you using?

Looks like these were shot in the f/3x range, so it's really easy to hit focus on something other than the eyes.
A little fill light would help as well.

Christian
http://www.cegphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
Member, Full Disc Aviation (external link)
Flickr (external link) * Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)Aviation Instagram (external link)

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 05, 2014 12:19 |  #20

Still not seeing EXIF data. When you export from Lightroom, are you possibly having it remove the metadata?

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600
Instagram (external link)

KristyM
THREAD ­ STARTER
40 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 05, 2014 12:20 |  #21

I have it set to User Def. 1 mode. Thanks*
I have all selected in Metedata

Canon Rebel T3i, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm, 55-250mm

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,446 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 05, 2014 12:21 |  #22

morph2_7 wrote in post #16953514 (external link)
I think photobucket strips off all EXIF informations that some are asking. Look at the image properties and post these values (for every photo): shutter speed, ISO, aperture. The photos look kinda greenish to me too.

This is generally the case.

Simply add the image as an attachment by going down to "Manage Attachments", then prior to attaching resize to 150 KB or smaller, hit the upload button, then do submit reply. When you resize, select fie type compatible with maintaining the EXIF. In DPP that is the choice named EXIF-JPEG (*.JPG, *JPEG).

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,592 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 05, 2014 12:25 |  #23

Wrong! As a matter of fact you can see her full resolution photos right there in Photobucket. All you have to do is click in the magnifying glass icon in the lower right hand corner twice.

The Exif is stripped because she hasn't picked the right options, either in LR or Photobucket. I use Photobucket and I can see Exif information.

The simple answer to your problem is that the lens front-focuses. You can see the sharp strip of grass in the bottom of the first photo.

Being a T3i, you'll have to send the lens to Canon for calibration (preferably both the camera and the lens).

Good luck

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 05, 2014 12:29 |  #24

The first link (landscape orientation), her face looks very soft to me but the grass in the foreground appears a bit sharper. It could be a mis-focus (front focusing).

The second link (in portrait orientation) looks sharper than the other but (I may be completely wrong) it looks as if it's sharpened in post processing.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,446 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 05, 2014 12:34 |  #25

MakisM1 wrote in post #16953662 (external link)
Wrong! As a matter of fact you can see her full resolution photos right there in Photobucket. All you have to do is click in the magnifying glass icon in the lower right hand corner twice.

The Exif is stripped because she hasn't picked the right options, either in LR or Photobucket. I use Photobucket and I can see Exif information.

The simple answer to your problem is that the lens front-focuses. You can see the sharp strip of grass in the bottom of the first photo.

Being a T3i, you'll have to send the lens to Canon for calibration (preferably both the camera and the lens).

Good luck

I get some EXIF from flickr ad it shows 1/160 second, ISO 100 and f/3.2 and like MakisM1 I do see some grass in focus in front of the main subject. Do you know where the focus point was located? Genrally on a subject like this you would focus on the eyes.

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 05, 2014 12:40 |  #26

I'd say work on nailing focus. As others have stated, its easy to miss at 3.2. I might even bump the ISO to 200 or even 400 and increase your shutter speed. 1/160 should be fine, but an untrained hand can make even that speed a bit soft.

White balance is a bit off, as stated. In Lightroom, you can use the white balance tool dropper and set it pretty easily. Just search you tube for an explanation if needed.

Also, the bright harsh sun wont do you or your images any favors.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 05, 2014 12:59 |  #27

First off, I'd recommend getting out of Auto mode, the EXIF states you were using auto. Try using Av or M mode with Auto ISO enabled, this way the camera will still take care of some of the settings for you but will allow you more creative control. Then you need to learn your metering modes, I'm assuming these were shot using evaluative metering, for these shots I'd have used spot metering on the subjects face, then held the AE-lock button and focused on her face using the outter most focus point.

Since you were in Auto mode the camera was using all focus points, it clearly didn't focus on her face in the first shot, it likely focused on her knees by the looks of it. I don't know why everyone is searching for problems that more than likely aren't there, I'd be willing to stake money that this isn't a fault with the camera/lens.

Shooting in raw will also give you more leeway in post processing which makes adjusting white balance and small changes to shadows and highlights much more easy without degrading the final product.

Keep at it OP, the composition of the shots looks great and the subject looks happy, they're good captures you just need more practice ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 05, 2014 13:10 |  #28

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16953764 (external link)
First off, I'd recommend getting out of Auto mode, the EXIF states you were using auto.

One shows "unknown" or "not defined" and the other says "Aperture priority". Where did you see Auto mode?

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 05, 2014 13:12 |  #29

morph2_7 wrote in post #16953782 (external link)
One shows "unknown" and the other says "Aperture priority". Where did you see Auto mode?

In the "View Full EXIF" tab, in fact, the one that reads this "Exposure Mode - Auto" is the one that has the missed focus... go figure ;)

Interestingly enough, both pictures say they were shot in Auto Exposure mode under the full EXIF, I guess OP will have to tell us what she was shooting in, but to me it looks like a clear case of the camera selecting the wrong point.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,592 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 05, 2014 13:13 |  #30

^^

Right! Now that we can see the Exif, the Green Rectangle All Points AF tends to focus at the nearest sharp object, in this case the grass in front of the knees of the girl.

Try shooting in Av or Tv mode, AutoISO or not... The point is to confirm that the camera AFs right. The rest is technique.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links

5,583 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon T3i Not taking Crisp Pictures- HELP
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.