Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 05 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 00:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tonight's Engagement shoot, first in a while!

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 05, 2014 16:31 |  #16

rebelsimon wrote in post #16954074 (external link)
Thanks for the critiques. They seem very happy with them!

This is the dilemma I often face with my sports photography. My photog colleagues are regularly pointing out where my images fall short of being of the highest quality and yet the same images are hailed as great by the newspaper that uses them, or the sporting organisation that posts them on their web site.
I am always debating the extent to which I need to strive for excellence versus the obvious need to meet, and exceed the paying customer expectations.
I do not want to become complacent but equally do not want to lose sleep worrying if I have not quite meet the standards of my mentors!

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,294 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 06, 2014 07:57 as a reply to  @ Plumtreelad's post |  #17

I don't see it as much of a dilemma. If the customer is happy, then I'm happy. I don't submit photos that are less than my personal standards. I do see photos in the media that have glaring faults. Just the other day, the NY Times published a photo of Mosquito Bay where the horizon was badly tilted. Tilted horizons are bad enough. But when there's water in the image it really sticks in your eye.

Still, one must be aware that some folks have pet peeves. One that gets me is an obsession about white balance. If there is an obvious cast in a shot, I will take note. But some people see faults that I don't see. And my vision is pretty good.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 06, 2014 09:45 |  #18

At the end of the day, critique is an opinion. It may be based on factual aspects, but still someone's opinion. It's up to the recipient of that critique to determine what they want to take and what they want to leave. It's always important to consider that what one client may love, the next may hate. But that goes for images that us forum folks may see as brilliant as well.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 06, 2014 10:00 |  #19

Plumtreelad wrote in post #16954172 (external link)
This is the dilemma I often face with my sports photography. My photog colleagues are regularly pointing out where my images fall short of being of the highest quality and yet the same images are hailed as great by the newspaper that uses them, or the sporting organisation that posts them on their web site.
I am always debating the extent to which I need to strive for excellence versus the obvious need to meet, and exceed the paying customer expectations.
I do not want to become complacent but equally do not want to lose sleep worrying if I have not quite meet the standards of my mentors!

well said :)

rebelsimon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 07, 2014 17:40 |  #20

I like this board. One year after buying my first DSLR, I will have shot 7 or 8 weddings (2 of them as a second) and there's no way I could have tackled that, without these type of message boards. I swallow my pride and and put photos up here because I always get something back that I missed. Super helpful, but feedback from non-photographers is just as important I think. Social media shows you EXACTLY what images people engage with, and it's rarely your most technically perfect photo. Still, no reason not to pick up new skills from those who know better.

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 10, 2014 13:38 |  #21

koolcreation wrote in post #16953832 (external link)
1) isn't that bad the framing is cool, image looks a slight bit desaturated.

The saturation kinda works for me.

Some cameras, some lenses

sponsored links

3,021 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tonight's Engagement shoot, first in a while!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.