Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 27 May 2014 (Tuesday) 14:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which belt for Lowepro Utility 100 and a lens pouch?

sbkanut
464 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 27, 2014 14:48 |  #1

I think I have FINALLY settled on the Lowepro Utility Bag 100 and a medium sized Lowpro lens pouch. I am wondering what belt would be good for this? I'm thinking just a regular non-locking belt? I don't want a big bulky one. Do the Think Tank belts work with the Lowepro gear? If so, is it better to get one of those, or could I get away with just a no-name accessory belt? I don't intend on carrying my camera body around my waist, just a couple extra lenses and maybe a few accessories, but no body.

Thank you for any and all help!

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 27, 2014 15:29 |  #2

Look at your local Lowe's. Among the tool belt options you will find a simple webbed belt for $5. Works great for me.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,896 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 27, 2014 16:52 |  #3

Give LowePro a call. They changed the product line since I purchased my LowePro Street & Field padded belt and several lens cases, so I can't comment on the current products.

United States - Corporate office
DayMen US Inc.
1435 North McDowell Blvd., Suite 200
Petaluma, CA 94954
Phone: 1.707.827.4000

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

frs
214 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 28, 2014 04:49 |  #4

Also try Newswear pouch waist belt

http://www.newswear.co​m/beltpdetail.htm (external link)

http://www.newswear.co​m/about.htm (external link)

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 28, 2014 05:44 |  #5

About 2 years ago, I tried a Lowepro S&F belt as when I'm doing downtown street shooting, I often have one lens in a Lowepro bag and one on the camera in my hand.

After my first outing with the S&F belt, I packed it away and haven't used it since. The problem I had was that there is no really secure size adjustment capability. The 'double back on itself' strap used to adjust the size to fit kept coming loose. But that was with 2 lenses in cases, not one. I never risked the situation again, and simply cinch up my regular belt an extra notch and put the Lowepro case(s) on my regular belt.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

sbkanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
464 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 28, 2014 05:54 |  #6

bratkinson wrote in post #16935313 (external link)
About 2 years ago, I tried a Lowepro S&F belt as when I'm doing downtown street shooting, I often have one lens in a Lowepro bag and one on the camera in my hand.

After my first outing with the S&F belt, I packed it away and haven't used it since. The problem I had was that there is no really secure size adjustment capability. The 'double back on itself' strap used to adjust the size to fit kept coming loose. But that was with 2 lenses in cases, not one. I never risked the situation again, and simply cinch up my regular belt an extra notch and put the Lowepro case(s) on my regular belt.

Thank you for the info!

And everyone else who has responded! All good to know.

Facebook (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,896 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 28, 2014 10:20 |  #7

bratkinson wrote in post #16935313 (external link)

While I freely admit that the belt adjustment could be more secure when off the body, like any friction-reliant adjustable strap, it has been nonetheless secure enough when on the body. Here is a close up of the snap closure and adjustments.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/Lowepro-3_zpsaddaf8e9.jpg

And here is a photo of the loop system that is part of the belt, to hold a pouch at one position on the belt

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/Lowepro-2_zps57c7e6e7.jpg

and a photo of the lens case attachment to the belt
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/Lowepro-1_zps6a5f468d.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sbkanut
THREAD ­ STARTER
464 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 28, 2014 11:43 |  #8

Thank you so much for that Wilt!

Facebook (external link)

ericcrazyman
190 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 28, 2014 16:44 |  #9

I have S&F belt. I switched out the clasp for a locking belt buckle. Takes several loaded pouches with no slipping at all. Not pretty but.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 06, 2014 09:46 |  #10

It is worth mentioning that there are currently two Lowepro S&F belts that have been redesigned and updated through the years. The current S&F Technical belt is wide and thickly padded with lumbar support in the rear. The new Light Utility belt has two sections that slide plus a small bag in the rear. The pictures above are a much older model, but still compatible with the current line.

Regular Lowepro lens cases are also compatible and a little cheaper, so you are not limited to only the S&F series of accessories. However, the S&F cases have a hidden rain hood which is handy when needed. Tamrac brand lens cases are also compatible for a few more options.

I have the Technical belt and haven't had a problem with the buckle slipping. I found I can wear it over a T-shirt or heavy jacket depending on weather conditions. I never considered a belt system until I started shooting sports. Now, I find it is useful for other events, locations and sometimes even in studio; anytime you want your shoulders and arms free or might worry about leaving a bag around.

sudipto_roy
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 28, 2014 09:30 |  #11

Can I wear this bag with a regular leather belt that I use with my jeans?

7D with 400 F 5.6 for birds
5D Mk II with 24-70 for everything else

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 28, 2014 10:29 |  #12

sudipto_roy wrote in post #17297438 (external link)
Can I wear this bag with a regular leather belt that I use with my jeans?

Wearing pouches on the same belt that holds your pants up causes the pants to sag and feel like they are about to fall off. The whole system to seems uncomfortable and in need of constant adjustment. Use a different belt. I use a $5 tool belt I got from Lowes. It works well but I think some of the purpose built belts might be more comfortable.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sudipto_roy
508 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 28, 2014 10:34 |  #13

Thanks rgs. I wonder if the $5 option is available here in India. Lemme check.

7D with 400 F 5.6 for birds
5D Mk II with 24-70 for everything else

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by tvphotog. (2 edits in all)

Dec 07, 2014 21:15 |  #14

I use this Lowepro Deluxe Utility belt. It's the standard for the pouches. I use mine with a Lowepro harness, but you can use this belt without it. The harness allows weight distribution to the shoulders if you're carrying a punch of pouches, which I do, including a water bottle and the S+F Utility Bag 100. I've used this setup instead of a backpack for about five years now, and have bought an extra belt for when the present one wears out. It's a fantastic setup.

Here's a video (external link) worth a 1000 words.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links

4,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which belt for Lowepro Utility 100 and a lens pouch?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.