Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 06 Jun 2014 (Friday) 09:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reliability of CanonPriceWatch (CPW) for special deals

sdo
208 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 06, 2014 09:56 |  #1

I was checking CanonPriceWatch.com (CPW) for prices on a Canon 6D.

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com …9/Canon-EOS-6D-price.html (external link)

The first link is a special CPW form for a cheaper price from an authorized dealer. I filled out the form and got the following reply:

There are currently two deals for the 6D from authorized dealers.

1) A US authorized Canon dealer is willing to sell the 6D for (details snipped)
2) A Canadian authorized Canon dealer is selling the 6D + a genuine Canon BG-E13 battery grip for (details snipped)

Please choose a deal and confirm that you are ready to place an order at this price, by return e-mail. I will forward your name and e-mail to the dealer and they will contact you via e-mail to start the order process.

Has anyone done this? I know CPW has a pretty good reputation here, but this seems a tiny bit sketchy to me. Comments?

Thanks!

Canon shooter (7D, 40D). Lightroom & Photoshop user.
My flickr page (external link)
Follow me on twitter (external link)

sponsored links
John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 06, 2014 10:10 |  #2

From what I've read, CPW is an affiliate (which in itself is fine since they provide a service and they should be paid for it) and has made some private deals with Canon dealers to try to get their readers/visitors deals on gear.

They have done a couple of "group buys" every month and from reading the comments from POTN members that participated, they had a favorable experience and decent to great cost savings.

If they offer another group buy for the 300mm f2.8 IS II for the same price as last time, my wallet would not be happy... :oops:

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 06, 2014 10:25 as a reply to  @ John's post |  #3

sdo wrote in post #16955462 (external link)
Has anyone done this? I know CPW has a pretty good reputation here, but this seems a tiny bit sketchy to me. Comments?

The reason why we don't disclose the name of the dealers is to enable the stores to stay MAP compliant. These are reputable stores.

But don't take my word for it, I'll let some of the forum members who I know have done group buys or street price deals chime in on their purchase experience. :)

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 06, 2014 10:44 |  #4

PhotoPrice wrote in post #16955524 (external link)
The reason why we don't disclose the name of the dealers is to enable the stores to stay MAP compliant. These are reputable stores.

But don't take my word for it, I'll let some of the forum members who I know have done group buys or street price deals chime in on their purchase experience. :)

Total thread-jacking (sorry sdo!):

What are the chances of the 300mm being part of the next group buy like it was in March? :D

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,875 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 06, 2014 11:18 |  #5

CPW is legit! I was one of the fortunate ones to take part in 300ISII group buy.

a7RII • V12 • L21 • S24GM • S85
a6600 • S16C • S30C • S56C
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 06, 2014 14:23 |  #6

John wrote in post #16955574 (external link)
Total thread-jacking (sorry sdo!):

What are the chances of the 300mm being part of the next group buy like it was in March? :D

Unfortunately -- I don't think we'll see that price ($5399) again soon. It was a really, really, special deal.

John
Goldmember
1,404 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 06, 2014 15:05 |  #7

PhotoPrice wrote in post #16955966 (external link)
Unfortunately -- I don't think we'll see that price ($5399) again soon. It was a really, really, special deal.

You might have just ripped my heart out and stomped on it! :cry:

;)

ldn323
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Gallery: 425 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 06, 2014 16:22 |  #8

I got an amazing 1Dx deal through CPW. Will do business with them again without hesitation.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 06, 2014 20:24 |  #9

CanonPriceWatch (external link) is absolutely the real deal and they provide an amazing service to the Canon community. They deserve (and have earned, time and time again) my highest level of trustworthiness and I have nothing but admiration and gratitude for them. I also think it's important to point out that they don't just do it solely for the referral commissions. From my interactions with CanonPriceWatch (external link), I am certain they genuinely love helping people save money and that is the foundation upon which they stand. Yes, they earn referral commissions when using the links on their website to buy gear...and they deserve every penny for putting a lot of time and money into their web services and providing us with such an outstanding service. I go out of my way to use their referral links for all of my Amazon purchases, even if they are not photography-related. They earn a small commission on those purchases too and it doesn't effect the price on my end.

In case you can't tell by now, I'm a huge fan of CPW. They've saved me thousands of dollars over the years and are some of the nicest folks around.

Bryan

My Gear List

4YRIONY
23 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 07, 2014 12:00 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #10

I have made several purchases through CPW price notifications, with no regrets.

Canon 5D3, 40D(for sale), SL1
40mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 17-40mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 70-200mm f2.8 II, 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM, 18-55 STM,

spotch
148 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 07, 2014 21:51 |  #11

CPW is a phenomenal asset. Their deal notifications have been absolutely essential to me and the pricing history data on their site is extremely helpful. Extremely. They're also extremely friendly and quick to respond. I *LOVE* that site and the assistance it offers and money it saves me.

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 07, 2014 22:09 |  #12

I have purchased using CPW. Will continue to do so in future because it simply works.

rebelml
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 07, 2014 23:39 |  #13

I can vouch for CPW. great service and website

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 09, 2014 02:52 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #14

CPW is absolutely the best!

doctork
33 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 17, 2014 14:16 |  #15

100% the real deal with valuable information available at the drop of a hat. I use the site daily scouring the web for deals...that I do not need.

sponsored links

4,376 views & 1 like for this thread
Reliability of CanonPriceWatch (CPW) for special deals
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.