Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 01 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best bang for the buck desktop?

this thread is locked
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 02, 2014 17:08 |  #31

CameraMan wrote in post #16947256 (external link)
Well, I don't have an engineering degree. As a matter of fact I don't have ANY kind of computer degree but I can build them with my eyes closed. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to put a computer together from scratch.

All it takes is the desire to build one and some basic assembly skills. Take one apart and look inside. Basically, these are the parts needed to build a computer. If you feel that you can replicate that with newer hardware then maybe you can build a computer.

If you're intimidated by what's inside then maybe you shouldn't attempt it.

Assembling the machine (hardware) is only 1/2 the job of building a good stable machine. Knowing your way around Windows and other apps (software), tricks and (registry)hacks, can turn a so-so machine, into a solid rig.

Of course, we all started somewhere, and things are easier now. ;)

* Overclocking with DIP-switches, wire wrapping pins,pencil mods,etc... was a PITA.. though rewarding. :D

Kel
Gear

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 02, 2014 17:35 |  #32

I'm not trying to argue the relative difficulty of learning to or building your own computer. My only point was that some people don't have the time or interest and I hate to see every thread pushing people to roll their own. Heck, it might not be any cheaper once you factor in the value of the 10+ hours or so involved with choosing and ordering parts, construction, hardware tests, OS install + updates, driver download and install, tweaks and troubleshooting, etc.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 02, 2014 17:59 |  #33

CameraMan wrote in post #16947256 (external link)
Well, I don't have an engineering degree. As a matter of fact I don't have ANY kind of computer degree but I can build them with my eyes closed. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to put a computer together from scratch.

All it takes is the desire to build one and some basic assembly skills. Take one apart and look inside. Basically, these are the parts needed to build a computer. If you feel that you can replicate that with newer hardware then maybe you can build a computer.

If you're intimidated by what's inside then maybe you shouldn't attempt it.

There are details that are fiddly though. Mounting heatsinks is a pita. If you have to redo thermal paste that's annoying. Cable routing I'm still rubbish at. None of it is particularly difficult though.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 02, 2014 18:04 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #34

And for the uninitiated.....the BIOS/UEFI can be downright scary! :lol:

Kel
Gear

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,115 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 02, 2014 18:07 |  #35

it's kinda hard finding these type of desktops, and your options are really limited. I ordered a dell for a worker, but it was really hard finding one with SSD. Might consider making your own.

500gb SSD
+ 2TB drive 1
+ 2TB drive 2

would be a good setup.

you can make windows 8 very usuable with these simple instructions: http://www.pcworld.com …-mode-in-windows-8-1.html (external link)

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 03, 2014 00:46 |  #36

500GB SSD is overkill for most people, especially if you can put stuff on other drives. 120GB is fine, I like the Samsung 840 pro (external link).

I have 80GB free on my 120GB SSD, Windows 7 pro. I don't have caches on that SSD though, they could take up to 60GB, and a lightroom catalog could take a bit as well.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 03, 2014 00:58 |  #37

tim wrote in post #16948076 (external link)
500GB SSD is overkill for most people, especially if you can put stuff on other drives. 120GB is fine, I like the Samsung 840 pro (external link).

I have 80GB free on my 120GB SSD, Windows 7 pro. I don't have caches on that SSD though, they could take up to 60GB, and a lightroom catalog could take a bit as well.

SSDs have gotten so cheap, I'd go for 250 GB. My C drive is 250 GB and I'm currently using 157 GB. I too keep as many caches on another drive but some stuff just REALLY wants to be on the Windows drive. Also, a more lightly loaded SSD will have more latitude to swap out bad sectors. I have two 840 EVO's and an 830. (Second EVO is for Virtual Box) All have done a great job.

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 03, 2014 01:15 |  #38

True, 250GB is nice, but 120GB is possible for someone on a budget or with lesser needs. I could've gotten 250GB, 500GB, wasn't the cost that meant I got the 120GB, that was all I needed. 60GB would be a bit of a squeeze with caches and swap file.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 03, 2014 18:50 |  #39

Nice site. I put together a nice top of the line system for a little over $2000. But that included top notch i7 3.7ghz cpu, asus motherboard, 240gb ssd drive, 2tb eide drive, windows 8.1 (cheaper than Windows 7), and some extra odds and ends (case, mouse, keyword, etc). Not a badlittle site.

I used to use pricewatch but I bought all my stuff for my last system from newegg.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 06, 2014 13:51 |  #40

tim wrote in post #16947356 (external link)
There are details that are fiddly though. Mounting heatsinks is a pita. If you have to redo thermal paste that's annoying. Cable routing I'm still rubbish at. None of it is particularly difficult though.

Thermal paste isn't an absolute must unless you overclock the system. I've removed/reinstalled heatsinks on my own computers to dust it off. I don't reapply thermal paste. Never got overheating problem.

1Tanker wrote in post #16947365 (external link)
And for the uninitiated.....the BIOS/UEFI can be downright scary! :lol:

It's plug n play these days. BIOS used to be worse back in 286/386/486 days where users must know the correct settings for the hard disk (Cyln, Head, WPCom, LZone, Sect). No auto detect.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 06, 2014 15:55 |  #41

morph2_7 wrote in post #16955904 (external link)
Thermal paste isn't an absolute must unless you overclock the system. I've removed/reinstalled heatsinks on my own computers to dust it off. I don't reapply thermal paste. Never got overheating problem.

It's plug n play these days. BIOS used to be worse back in 286/386/486 days where users must know the correct settings for the hard disk (Cyln, Head, WPCom, LZone, Sect). No auto detect.

Have you "dug into" a Haswell mobo's UEFI? The defaults leave a lot of the low-power state settings (among other parameters) disabled. As well, i stated in an earlier post, that the difference from just "plugging and playing" a machine, and fine-tuning can be huge. I can set up a several-hundred dollar cheaper rig, to perform as well as the more expensive one (overclocking excluded), just through tweaking the BIOS/UEFI and OS tweaks. An OEM machine has very limited BIOS/UEFI settings available to "tweak".. crippling a lot of the HW's potential. Add in bloatware, and general assembly-line-type performance, and it's a pity what these machines start out like.

Not re/re TIM is a bad idea, whether OC'ing or not.

Yes, i remember the old BIOS'..my 1st machine was a 386SX/16, 2MB RAM :lol:, 42MB HDD(doubled to 84MB using Stacker), 5-1/4" floppy..14" SVGA monitor. DOS and then Windows 3.1.

Kel
Gear

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 06, 2014 17:07 |  #42

I wouldn't recommend that approach. The heatsink must be securely attached to the CPU otherwise it will fry or shut off your system even doing routine tasks. I think you've been lucky so far, leftover paste and such doing the job.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 06, 2014 17:59 |  #43

I guess so. About 14 years ago, I ran CPU intensive software that pegged the CPU usage at 100% constantly for many hours. Didn't have any problem back then. That was a Pentium III CPU. I know newer CPUs generate a lot more heat than the old ones.

I'm currently using a Q6600 quad core at home. Never had any system lock-up or hardware failure due to overheating. I don't run any CPU intensive processes for hours anymore. Perhaps when I upgrade to i7, I will consider reapplying thermal paste after removing/reinstalling heat sink.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 06, 2014 21:40 |  #44

Why do you feel the need to pull the CPU heatsink to dust it off? That's what canned air is for.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 06, 2014 22:33 |  #45

Ironically, I bet a dusty heatsink works better than one with no paste! :)

Without paste, the CPU will run about twice as hot. Whether that's important or not I guess is up to the individual, but it definitely is to me.

controlled tests of compounds, including no compound: http://www.hardwaresec​rets.com …ndup-February-2012/1490/5 (external link)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

16,755 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best bang for the buck desktop?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.