Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 01 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best bang for the buck desktop?

this thread is locked
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 07, 2014 00:12 |  #46

morph2_7 wrote in post #16956353 (external link)
I guess so. About 14 years ago, I ran CPU intensive software that pegged the CPU usage at 100% constantly for many hours. Didn't have any problem back then. That was a Pentium III CPU. I know newer CPUs generate a lot more heat than the old ones.

I'm currently using a Q6600 quad core at home. Never had any system lock-up or hardware failure due to overheating. I don't run any CPU intensive processes for hours anymore. Perhaps when I upgrade to i7, I will consider reapplying thermal paste after removing/reinstalling heat sink.

Back in PIII days, the cpu "could" have fried itself.. but not likely...the system would just crash/freeze. An AMD would have fried.

Nowadays, the CPU will just throttle.(running at 2.00GHz vs. 2.4 for ex. on your Q6600, and run 100% at that speed). This is a big problem with the K model Haswells; they need 1.3+ vcore to run at 4.6GHz+, but will just throttle.. leaving you with less power.

Kel
Gear

sponsored links
morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 07, 2014 01:19 |  #47

mike_d wrote in post #16956644 (external link)
Why do you feel the need to pull the CPU heatsink to dust it off? That's what canned air is for.

I'm a neat freak. I use vacuum cleaner to get rid of some dust. Then remove the heat sink (take it outdoor) and spray the remaining dust with canned air.

tkbslc wrote in post #16956725 (external link)
Ironically, I bet a dusty heatsink works better than one with no paste! :)

Without paste, the CPU will run about twice as hot. Whether that's important or not I guess is up to the individual, but it definitely is to me.

controlled tests of compounds, including no compound: http://www.hardwaresec​rets.com …ndup-February-2012/1490/5 (external link)

Again, I never had any lock-up problem due to CPU overheat so it's not important to me.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 07, 2014 01:32 |  #48

1Tanker wrote in post #16956810 (external link)
Back in PIII days, the cpu "could" have fried itself.. but not likely...the system would just crash/freeze. An AMD would have fried.

If that's the case, my PIII should've locked up when I ran the CPU intensive process overnight but that never happened. It just kept running until completion the next morning.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 07, 2014 01:41 |  #49

morph2_7 wrote in post #16956891 (external link)
If that's the case, my PIII should've locked up when I ran the CPU intensive process overnight but that never happened. It just kept running until completion the next morning.

If you actually believe all this... why do you think they put heatsinks on them (and/or thermal interface material)? They would make more money skipping this process, or putting the thinnest crap possible on.

Kel
Gear

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 07, 2014 13:54 |  #50

1Tanker wrote in post #16956904 (external link)
If you actually believe all this... why do you think they put heatsinks on them (and/or thermal interface material)? They would make more money skipping this process, or putting the thinnest crap possible on.

I'm just telling you it has worked fine for me. When I said "Thermal paste isn't an absolute must unless you overclock the system", I was referring to reapplying the substance after heatsink removal. I do believe thermal paste is needed but isn't necessary to reapply after removing/reinstalling the heatsink.

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 10, 2014 07:02 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

Geez, by the sound of it you Win users sure have to do a lot of experimenting and system tweaking.

-ERJL

BobDawg
261 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 10, 2014 09:27 |  #52

ERJL wrote in post #16962746 (external link)
Geez, by the sound of it you Win users sure have to do a lot of experimenting and system tweaking.

Not alot... But it's worth it than throwing a ton of extra money at a computer that I can build cheaper and perform better. Some of us don't like ez/lazy mode...

Canon 60D, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Tamron 17-50mm, YN-560 IV Flash (2)

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 10, 2014 09:30 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

BobDawg wrote in post #16962993 (external link)
Not alot... But it's worth it than throwing a ton of extra money at a computer that I can build cheaper and perform better.

If that is really true then yeah. But you are still stuck with MS which is rather incurable, imo:)

Edit: what I mean is that the computer should work for me rather than requiring me to work on it to run right.

-ERJL

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 10, 2014 10:26 |  #54

ERJL wrote in post #16962746 (external link)

You are confusing "have to" with "can". Some of us WANT to tweak our systems to our liking. But MOST prebuilt Windows computers just work out of the box, too.

The #1 reason I don't use Mac is that they have NO regular, expandable desktop system.

And if you are talking about the thermal paste comment, trust me, Apple computers have those on their processors, too.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 10, 2014 14:51 |  #55

tkbslc wrote in post #16963108 (external link)
You are confusing "have to" with "can". Some of us WANT to tweak our systems to our liking. But MOST prebuilt Windows computers just work out of the box, too.

The #1 reason I don't use Mac is that they have NO regular, expandable desktop system.

Yep. Same deal with Android. For 90% of users, its fine right out of the box. For the more adventurous and technically minded, there's a world of possibilities. I just don't like being told what I can and cannot do with my own device.

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 10, 2014 15:26 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

tkbslc wrote in post #16963108 (external link)

And if you are talking about the thermal paste comment, trust me, Apple computers have those on their processors, too.

The thread started with the question of basically Mac or PC, indeed my preference is Mac. I consider the value of the entire system to include hardware, provided software and OS when purchasing a desktop. Both Macs I have had seemed expensive but repaid me with longevity and performance. I have been through several release versions of the OS on my 27" iMac and think only one cost any money and was 20 bucks or so. Often Apple does not charge for their latest version. If you are a gamer then certainly OSX isnot desirable. my comments concern using a computer for image editing and the usual home computer tasks.

As to thermal compound, i always used it when building a PC. It seems like cheap insurance to me.

-ERJL

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 10, 2014 17:17 |  #57

Longevity? I used my Pentium III 1GHz desktop for 9 years before upgrading it. That heatsink has come off/on numerous times for cleaning. No additional paste needed. The upgrade wasn't caused by failure. Sure I've had a couple of dead HDs (damn IBM deathstar HDs) over the 9 year period. The rest remains fully functioning till I decide to put it to retirement. Heck, today I still have a 9 year old fully functioning Dell Inspiron 1.8GHz Centrino laptop. Slow but works fine.

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 11, 2014 09:37 |  #58

Hackintosh. End of thread.

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 11, 2014 11:28 |  #59

TijmenDal wrote in post #16965125 (external link)
Hackintosh. End of thread.

Ahh, the "Worst of both worlds" solution. Good call. :rolleyes:

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Albino_BlacMan
78 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 11, 2014 12:31 |  #60

Built my first PC this year and was surprised by how easy it was.

(To let you know how technically inept I am I tried to take an old lens apart to clean the aperture blades once and that didn't end well. Not doing that again but I will definitely build my next PC)

sponsored links

16,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best bang for the buck desktop?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.