Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 May 2014 (Saturday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pros/Cons Canon 6D vs 5DMKIII

chunchma
223 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 25, 2014 09:58 |  #16

Hello,

I am selling my 7D as I need to pay the bills. Once I am caught up I plan on the 6D or the 5D III, I want a full frame digital camera, my question is:

I am looking for something to shoot landscape, animals, people, and be creative with my shooting. Which would be best for these types of shooting?

I see all these threads on the pros and cons of the 6D and the 5D III, I don't want to nit pick it, I just want the camera the will do the best for what I want to shoot.

Thanks

sponsored links
Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 25, 2014 10:12 |  #17

chunchma wrote in post #16928834 (external link)
Hello,

I am selling my 7D as I need to pay the bills.

If you need to sell your 7D to pay down bills purchasing the 5DIII is not for you.

If you want full frame aim for a second hand 6D.

Trevor

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,941 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 25, 2014 10:15 |  #18

booju wrote in post #16927398 (external link)

I'll be using this to shoot all types of genres....sports, wildlife, ...

that kind of shooting IMHO, is greatly aided by an advanced AF system like that in the 1D series, or better yet, like that in the 5D3 and 1Dx.

Since you list those two genres first, I'd suggest that the 5D3 is the way to go in this case.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

booju
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,333 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 27, 2014 16:15 |  #19

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #16928856 (external link)
that kind of shooting IMHO, is greatly aided by an advanced AF system like that in the 1D series, or better yet, like that in the 5D3 and 1Dx.

Since you list those two genres first, I'd suggest that the 5D3 is the way to go in this case.

Thank you!
Yes I've decide on the 5DMK3!!!

Now I need to get a 1.6x crop.... 70d or 7d better start another thread to get the lo down on these 2 great cameras!!!

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 27, 2014 16:46 |  #20

chunchma wrote in post #16928834 (external link)
Hello,

I am selling my 7D as I need to pay the bills. Once I am caught up I plan on the 6D or the 5D III, I want a full frame digital camera, my question is:

I am looking for something to shoot landscape, animals, people, and be creative with my shooting. Which would be best for these types of shooting?

I see all these threads on the pros and cons of the 6D and the 5D III, I don't want to nit pick it, I just want the camera the will do the best for what I want to shoot.

Thanks

I would think if you need to sell your 7d to pay bills, venturing in the FF world of bodies and expensive glass for them would not be a good choice, parentally speaking.;)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,006 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 27, 2014 21:05 as a reply to  @ post 16928562 |  #21

Here's a perhaps more controlled example at ISO 25600 from dpreview's comparison page.

http://i.imgur.com/ABR​jBTH.png (external link)

And 6400.

http://i.imgur.com/VhS​aYph.png (external link)

That is fine, mine was also very controlled and side by side, 3 different shots, within 1/3 stop at 12800 and 1/2 at 25600. ;) DPreview's comparisons aren't done side by side in exactly the same conditions and same lighting. They have a studio corner set up and things get rearranged and lighting varies from one year to another.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 27, 2014 22:19 |  #22

DPreview's new studio scene is very controlled and accurate. This new scene's camera list features both the 6D and 5DIII, and comparison is very direct, you can even select same output size ("PRINT" view option). So at least for the 6D and 5DIII (and few more Canon bodies such as 70D) is an excellent way to compare. Too bad that the huge library of the old studio scene cannot be directly compared with the most of the new bodies since they're were only tested with the new studio scene (e.g. direct comparison of the 7D and 70D).

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,006 posts
Joined May 2002

May 27, 2014 22:24 |  #23

Lighting had to change over time, there is no way to guarantee exact conditions across a span of time. Software to process raw has to change over time as well. As time progresses, the comparisons across bodies will become more suspect. The comparisons redone in the new studio may be fine now, but new bodies next year, etc won't be so easily compared.

I choose to do direct side by side comparison at the same time with the same conditions which leaves a lot less to go wrong. My results are in line with about any other comparison, so there should not be any real dispute, should there?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008

May 27, 2014 22:29 |  #24

TeamSpeed what makes you think that the lighting and the scene changes between the 6D and 5DIII tests? I mean those guys are pretty anal about this, and I'm sure they have figured out how to keep everything the same, from the scene to the lighting. And since the 6D and 5DIII weren't tested years apart, we have good reason to believe that the conditions were virtually the same.
Actually, the 6D and 5DIII can be compared in both the old and the new studio scene, they tested them in both. The results are the same, they are consistent.
I found pretty much the same in my own tests now that I own a 5DIII too. The 5DIII is great but I very reluctantly sold my 6D today, I'll miss its IQ. It's only a little better than the 5DIII, won't make or break an image, but credit should be given where due.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,587 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 27, 2014 22:43 |  #25

booju wrote in post #16927398 (external link)

I'll be using this to shoot all types of genres....sports, wildlife, nature, and portraits.

And which has better files in your opinion?

The files are as near as makes no difference IMO. It all comes down to AF as far as I'm concerned. If you like/need a more sophisticated AF system then get the 5D, it's without a doubt a much more robust system. That said, the 6D works great for most people's needs, but it's no 5DIII, to some people that doesn't matter (I'm one of them), if you're not one of those people then get the 5D.

Some people on here also mentioned the bigger 5D screen, but forgot to mention the auto-brightness feature, both of which I would love on the 6D. The joystick is whatever, some people are obsessed with it for reasons that are beyond me, but the screen is a real advantage in my eyes.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,206 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

May 27, 2014 23:09 |  #26

I'm going to throw this question in here since it's related and op has come to his own conclusion..I'm also trying to decide on these cameras..i currently own a t4i and I'm pretty new to this..but I do want to upgrade to full frame ..mainly for better iso abilities..

I of course take pictures at family gatherings and that type of thing ..but on days i go out shooting it's out in the streets of nyc..street photography ..
I could get either but I won't pretend the difference in cost is chump change to me..
Will the 6d do well in street photography. ? I don't mind spending the extra thousand if I'll be better off and with less frustrations..everyone talks about the 5d3 having much better af and the 6d being nothing to special..will the 6d be an improvement over the t4i atleast?

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,587 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 28, 2014 01:01 |  #27

rantercsr wrote in post #16934937 (external link)
I'm going to throw this question in here since it's related and op has come to his own conclusion..I'm also trying to decide on these cameras..i currently own a t4i and I'm pretty new to this..but I do want to upgrade to full frame ..mainly for better iso abilities..

I of course take pictures at family gatherings and that type of thing ..but on days i go out shooting it's out in the streets of nyc..street photography ..
I could get either but I won't pretend the difference in cost is chump change to me..
Will the 6d do well in street photography. ? I don't mind spending the extra thousand if I'll be better off and with less frustrations..everyone talks about the 5d3 having much better af and the 6d being nothing to special..will the 6d be an improvement over the t4i atleast?

For street photography there's no reason to go for the 5D imo. I'd opt for an entirely different system for street though if it were me... to me small, light and inconspicuous are far more important than the AF system for street.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 28, 2014 11:22 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16934869 (external link)
Lighting had to change over time, there is no way to guarantee exact conditions across a span of time. Software to process raw has to change over time as well. As time progresses, the comparisons across bodies will become more suspect. The comparisons redone in the new studio may be fine now, but new bodies next year, etc won't be so easily compared.

I choose to do direct side by side comparison at the same time with the same conditions which leaves a lot less to go wrong. My results are in line with about any other comparison, so there should not be any real dispute, should there?

Why such 6D animosity? Sorry, but it's so very evident throughout this entire thread! Relax TS! The 5D3 is still an OK camera!

Dave

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,006 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 07, 2014 08:45 |  #29

What animosity? I am simply stating that the only way to compare is eliminate as many factors that can vary over time as possible. When I compare, I have both bodies and shoot with the same lens at the same time with the same conditions. Being an engineer and loving science, it is the scientific principle behind testing. I have used both, but prefer the nimbleness and ergos of the 5D3 over the 6D.

For example, the 5D3 vs 6D at ISO 12800 with no post processing, no DPP NR shot with the same lens at the same time... They are quite close, somewhere around the 1/3 stop mark. At ISO 25600, the 6D is notably better though, the 5D3 starts to blotch out, and yes, I would say about 1/2 stop at that ISO level.

ISO 12800

IMAGE: http://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Electronics/5d3-vs-6d/i-dCK9XTQ/0/XL/5d3vs6d12800a-XL.jpg

Another one, too large to post, 100% crop here as well.

http://teamspeed.smugm​ug.com …XxQ/0/O/5d3vs6d​12800b.jpg (external link)

ISO 25600

http://teamspeed.smugm​ug.com …fNB/0/O/5d3vs6d​12800c.jpg (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 07, 2014 09:20 |  #30

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16957246 (external link)
For example, the 5D3 vs 6D at ISO 12800 with no post processing, no DPP NR shot with the same lens at the same time... They are quite close, somewhere around the 1/3 stop mark. At ISO 25600, the 6D is notably better though, the 5D3 starts to blotch out, and yes, I would say about 1/2 stop at that ISO level.

So who cares?? All your examples are too much noise to be usable IMO. I suspect that if someone is a pixel peeper, the 6D has slightly better ISO at those insane levels. But then if ISO is everything to you, you should jump ship and get Nikon: not the 6D or 5DIII. I also suspect that in most situations, the IQ of the 5DmkIII and 6D would be on par with one another. The 6D has slightly newer sensor technology and has slightly larger photosites (due to the 2MP loss). I would think the slight IQ differences would also level out after post (if you sample the 5D's resolution down to 6D and apply unsharp mask).

When upgrading my FF, I didn't spend much time deciding. The 5D/6D has always been a great portrait camera. It's usable with action, but I did find occasions where I would have liked a more robust AF. There really was no other option for me, and I'm very impressed with the viewfinder/AF/speed of the 5DIII. Of course it also comes at a price. The 6D is better value (gives you pretty much the same IQ), and certainly seems like a good intro FF camera.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

12,223 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.