Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 May 2014 (Friday) 05:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need input

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 04, 2014 21:02 |  #16

jetcode wrote in post #16951932 (external link)
Dismissing this woman's work is interesting. She's out in front of the pack and you are dissing her? That's fancy. I have no idea why people come here and expect to get 2-4 years of education in photography in a single critique. That's why I gave you the critique I did. You have to learn how to see. I can't take you there. No one can.

Quality of light is everything in a photograph. A great subject in bad light makes a bad photograph.

And from what I've read about her she got there very quick. She's only been shooting pictures for a couple of years at most I believe.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

sponsored links
Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 09, 2014 03:51 |  #17

Dismissing this woman's work is interesting. She's out in front of the pack and you are dissing her? That's fancy. I have no idea why people come here and expect to get 2-4 years of education in photography in a single critique. That's why I gave you the critique I did. You have to learn how to see. I can't take you there. No one can.

Quality of light is everything in a photograph. A great subject in bad light makes a bad photograph.

For real. That stuff is freaking great. I generally loathe kid and animal photos, but her images make me look like a dumbass. It's not a matter of "I do graduation pictures so that is irrelevant to me." It's a matter of "that stuff is really freaking good and I can implement certain aspects to make my graduation pictures better."

Lesson: regardless of it's the same kind of work you do there are images that really freaking work and images that don't work so well. Take the images that work really freaking well, identify WHY they work so well, then learn how to apply the relevant aspects to your own work. These photos are not great because she has access to kids, animals, and a farm. i've seen an assload of kid, animal, and farm pictures that were boring as hell. This is clearly someone who knows how to use what she has to work with very well. I'd guess that she could photograph a pile of dirt and make it look good.

Bobinpeterboro
96 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 11, 2014 08:58 |  #18

I quite agree, I looked at those photographs and though, WOW! Then I began to think about how I could try to produce the same quality pictures myself.
I also agree that she could probably make a picture of dirt look good. I know that if there was a link to it I'd take the time and trouble to view it.

p00kienrayray
557 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 11, 2014 11:59 |  #19

Elena Shumilova's photos are indeed amazing.

Titus213 wrote in post #16952386 (external link)
And from what I've read about her she got there very quick. She's only been shooting pictures for a couple of years at most I believe.

That's very possible. I'm still an amateur, but my photography has grown considerably since I picked up this hobby 6 months ago. Only bc I went all in and submerged myself in this forum, photography club meetups, books, and tons and tons of youtube tutorials...Not to mention practice! I carry a camera with me everyday to work (even though sometimes I don't get to use it), then spend at least an hour a night using Lightroom---similar to this lady here, which is why I can relate to her. Now if only my photos can look as good as hers :confused:

OP, do you use the histogram display on your camera so that you see clippings of the whites/blacks? You can also set up your display to flash the blown highlights as well. Being able to see if my highlights were blown really helped me in finding the correct exposure.

Some cameras, some lenses

justamateur
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 21, 2014 22:21 |  #20

jetcode wrote in post #16925147 (external link)
Notice how they transcend the ordinary? That's the secret and it's a secret for a reason. It takes time to understand how to visualize and create this level of imagery.

Yep, it also takes time to graduate as an architect, studying paintings, drawing, light, composition, etc. She is not a "farm girl" like media love to picture her.
I really like her work, she knows the light well. But frankly speaking, expensive gear and lots of photoshop. She is "painting" her images. Painting is great, of course.
But she is not a girl, who one day took a camera, played with it, and figured out instantly what to do.

HLK
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 22, 2014 04:05 |  #21

I didn't realize people were still responding to this.
Jetcode- I'm not involving myself in your drama and putting words in my mouth. Can you show me where I stated that the other womans work was "bad"? I don't think you can. Do your photos transcend the ordinary? I never said I was a pro or that I was seeking 2-4yrs of training through a critique forum. Especially when only a handful of people are helpful.. or even giving critique for that matter. I just started taking pictures of people besides my son. I'm totally new to digital SLR- I'm rusty on shooting in general.

Pookienrayray- no I don't use either. I don't really have a good understanding of histograms. And it seems like when I go by the highlight warnings the pictures end up too dark. I don't know. I haven't even done anything since this post a while back. I did start off early in open shade.. but you can see where the sun got harsher and we lost our shade. I tried.

justamateur
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 22, 2014 09:06 |  #22

HLK wrote in post #16986665 (external link)

Sorry, I could not resist :), just don't like much "cinderella", or "farm girl" stories.

Here is some video, which I found helpful to understand some light tricks. Just my two cents.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=H2nNxaBA6ss (external link)

HLK
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined May 2013

Jun 22, 2014 11:36 |  #23

justamateur- I meant the people putting words in my mouth. I get what you're saying as well. And I'm not a huge fan of heavily done PS or HDR. I guess I'm not entitled to my own opinion according to some. I've def never said I was great at this.. I was looking for help. I'm sure if the lady in russia wanted Cc shed be posting her pics on this site- lol. And I wish I had 24/7 with the people I'm practicing on.. but I don't. Thank u for the link- I will check it out later

justamateur
214 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 22, 2014 17:15 |  #24

HLK wrote in post #16987249 (external link)
Thank u for the link- I will check it out later

Perhaps, you know tricks shown there, but still, you may find a few interesting.

As for critique here, I don't bother any more to ask here. I have pretty much similar expert at home.
-What do you think about this picture?
-It's crap
-Why?
-Because. Go online, look at people's pics, and learn looking.

Sure, it's helpful. I'm not going to spend about 5K on gear that people use, and I'm not a huge fan of perfectly photoshopped images.
Also, I've never heard, for example, if you want to be a musician, no prob, just go to the concert, listen, and eventually you will be great musician as well :D

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 23, 2014 02:51 |  #25

HLK wrote in post #16986665 (external link)
Jetcode- I'm not involving myself in your drama and putting words in my mouth. Can you show me where I stated that the other womans work was "bad"? I don't think you can. Do your photos transcend the ordinary? I never said I was a pro or that I was seeking 2-4yrs of training through a critique forum. Especially when only a handful of people are helpful.. or even giving critique for that matter. I just started taking pictures of people besides my son. I'm totally new to digital SLR- I'm rusty on shooting in general.

Pookienrayray- no I don't use either. I don't really have a good understanding of histograms. And it seems like when I go by the highlight warnings the pictures end up too dark. I don't know. I haven't even done anything since this post a while back. I did start off early in open shade.. but you can see where the sun got harsher and we lost our shade. I tried.

You didn't say her work was "bad", but you did (albeit probably unintentionally) dismiss her skill. It's not that she knows what he's doing, it's that she's "bored", she has a beautiful farm, cool animals, and cooperative kids. I'm not saying that it was your intent, but your post basically dismisses her work by painting her as overly privileged. It's not that she knows what she's doing, she's just lucky enough to have access to things that most people don't have access to.

While that's quite possibly true, it's also dismissive. And that's a turnoff. Don't dismiss other people's work because they have access to things that you don't.

Secondly, this also comes off as making excuses. "yeah, my stuff might be that good if I was privileged enough to get...." Be REALLY cautious about going down that road, because that's self-defeating. In all likelihood you're NEVER going to be able to have access to the things you want, while there will always be someone else who does. Good photographers make the best of what they have, regardless of what they have.

Now, if you just think that the photos are crap, then fine. But that's another discussion and has nothing to do with her being bored, having cooperative kids, or owning a farm. Even if all of those things are true, what relevance does that have to the images?

sponsored links

4,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need input
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.