Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 20:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quadcopter Drone Wifi Camera

cicopo
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 24, 2014 10:38 |  #31

This may help re the differences between the DJI products.

http://droneflyers.com …ferences-hobbyists-guide/ (external link)

Note that you can buy stabilized camera gimbals for the higher end machines and they can keep the camera very steady but they aren't cheap. Commercial grade multi's are needed for the lift when it comes to carrying DSLR's.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sponsored links
samsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by samsen.

Apr 25, 2014 19:58 |  #32

Thanks a lot Cicopo.
You have really added my knowledge of this device and I am glad I could control myself so far not to release the trigger on buying it prematurely. I am learning tremendously and hopefully should be able to make a good choice soon.

Some really nice coverage only with basic model DJI here:

LINK-1. (external link)

And some other excellent coverage by this true artist:
LINK-2 (external link)
LINK-3  (external link)

Enjoy the clips.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

cicopo
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 25, 2014 21:13 |  #33

I'm holding myself back too but as I do I'm practicing on a simulator. If you haven't flown R/C before I highly recommend getting one & putting in some time learning orientation etc. I fly fixed wing & have plenty of stick time but heli's are a whole different thing & I want to be on the ball before putting a bunch of money up in the air on a flying platform I'm not familiar with. The built in GPS & stabilizers are a HUGE help with these (based on my homework) but they can still get caught up in wind we don't sense at our ground position. I have the luxury of having my own flying field right here at home so when I make the move I'll be ready to practice here too.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

samsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 27, 2014 13:02 |  #34

^^^Thanks again Cicopo.
Agree with all.
I am still concerned by the very large number of users problem with "Run amuck" behavior of these DJIs. Though stories of "If you supply powerful enough battery in these drones, like the trained pigeons, they directly fly home to China manufacturer!!!!" is sweet to hear and hard to believe, there are too many people telling the story of how their beloved expensive flying device with that also expensive camera and tripod mount, has flown directly to the horizon straight beyond the sigh, never to recover... I understand that IOC confuses the pilots, even P2V could not help the drone not to fly back to China, causing total lost communication and worst stories of abrupt Battery error in mid air, on early time of flight that battery is still quit powerful, when it has cause many crashes as device becomes totally nonresponsive to any measure, remote or onboard, when that error happens. I do understand that you need to set a second Home for GPS about 60 feet right straight up in the air about your head at very start of fly (Where most trees are 50 feet or shorter) so that should your remote communication gets lost for any reason, device onboard navigation at least brings it back to top of your head where it can safely (At least to be recovered) can crash to land, or say clean the battery terminals religiously but still there is too much more to understand before even put hand of remote to let it fly..., or I can truly see myself enjoying flying and using one of these devices.

Yes Simulator is very good also I am trying the cheaper gyroscope type helicopters and drones meanwhile before getting into real deal.

Again thanks a lot for your help in elevating my knowledge regarding the mater and lets see who can get that dream quality footage sooner with only pleasurable memories of tool use. I guess there is an element of manufacturers need to provide and improve some hard and software bugs in between too.
Well lets see.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

samsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 10, 2014 09:46 |  #35

Another price drop.... This is the best I've ever seen.
I can resist, I can resist, I can resist!!!

It comes fully equipped to fly (Guess only Gimbal is missing for smoother shooting)
And this is sold by one of the two Best sellers of the Market B&H (The other being BuyDig), not cheap sellers or Adorama etc.

I need to be strong, please remind me...

LINK (external link)

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

kona77
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 10, 2014 11:22 |  #36

Thanks for the info.

Proud father of a 10 year old son with Down Syndrome.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 10, 2014 11:35 |  #37

nice deal. Must resist too.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 13, 2014 19:57 |  #38

Saturday will bring my vision 2+. Can't wait. I'll go to bed early so it comes sooner.

samsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 14, 2014 13:36 |  #39

MDJAK wrote in post #16970318 (external link)
Saturday will bring my vision 2+. Can't wait. I'll go to bed early so it comes sooner.

Lucky you and heartiest congratulations.
Don't forget to show us some pictures once you get hand on it.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 14, 2014 14:14 |  #40

Thank you, sir.

Here ya go. Haven't flown it yet as there's lots of batteries to charge. :lol: I charged up the two main batteries (one is extra), but I'm waiting for the range extender to charge which charges via micro USB. Then I'll give it a whirl. In the meantime, a shot of it grounded on top of one of my four dogs will have to do. :lol:

IMAGE: http://markrichman.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v168/p1066730366-5.jpg

cicopo
Goldmember
3,485 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 14, 2014 15:29 |  #41

Is that the camera that comes with it?

Have you flown any R/C before?

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 14, 2014 15:50 |  #42

that is the camera that comes with the Vision 2+. No, I've never flown a drone before.

I got it all charged up. It got satellites immediately. I waited a bit, took off and flew it all over my backyard, over my house, super easy to control.

The only problem, as a friend who has one told me and I've seen it as a comment on youtube, it's almost impossible to see your phone screen on a bright day. Also, I don't know much about the gimbal operation so the camera was pointing down. I did find a FPV switch that I switched off.

Right now I'm recharging both batteries and will fly it again shortly. It is a lot of fun.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 14, 2014 15:51 |  #43

and the camera is just hanging there because the gimbal doesn't function until it's turned on.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 17, 2014 20:51 |  #44

Question for owners:

1. Am I just dumb, or why did I expect the videos to have sound?

2. I exported a 3 minute video in LR5 and then tried to email it. It was over 200mb. How can I make it smaller than 30mb which is around the largest I can send?

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 17, 2014 20:57 |  #45

MDJAK wrote in post #16978329 (external link)
Question for owners:

1. Am I just dumb, or why did I expect the videos to have sound?

2. I exported a 3 minute video in LR5 and then tried to email it. It was over 200mb. How can I make it smaller than 30mb which is around the largest I can send?

1. Yea, there is no sound. Even if there was, wind/ prop noise would ruin it anyway.

2. I don't think you can edit video in LR, but I could be wrong. You probably have to use a 3rd party software to chop it up.

3......I want one real bad. Will be saving next year to pick one up!

Im going with the FC40.

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

sponsored links

46,287 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quadcopter Drone Wifi Camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.