Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Jun 2014 (Monday) 20:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AF questions

mamaof2
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Jun 09, 2014 20:39 |  #1

I have a question on AF (FIY I own a T4i and very new to all this)

1. Do you recompose when you are taking pics or do you select your focal point each time (mine has a wheel where I can tell it where to focus on)? Explain why please.

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 09, 2014 22:09 |  #2

When you're shooting what?
I prefer to pick a focus point. If you're shooting at a small # f-stop, recomposing can be a problem.
Focus-Recompose, or...?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 10, 2014 00:00 |  #3

I do sometimes one, sometimes the other. Under certain circumstances (especially when you're dealing with narrow depth of field) the focus-and-recompose method can cause you to miss focus.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 10, 2014 00:57 |  #4

I'd say it depends. I've done my share of focus/re-composing, as long as the aperture is narrow enough to not skewer things, but I do prefer to pick the focal point closest to my subject, and then there is only a minor amount of re-composing to get the framing right.

However, in lower light, especially with the older cameras I shoot with, using the "outer" focus points can be, well, not-so-good, and there I pretty much stick to the center focus point.

Sometimes, though, relying on the Center Point AF can throw the composition off, requiring a lot of cropping. Not my preference, because that would tend to lead to sticking with small prints.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 10, 2014 11:21 |  #5

If I am focusing and recomposing... My question is..some times im pointing at something I want in focus say the persons eyes ..but the outside lights light up showing those are the point of focus not the middle focal point...so how do I make that work?
Hope this makes sense..

Is there a setting I should set my camera at? I did a factory reset so right now my camera is set like you would get it out of the box other then I selected AF one shot.

last question...when I was taking pics the other day a ton of my shots were way over exposed..thoughts on this? (i can post pic if you need to see)

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,241 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 10, 2014 11:27 |  #6

Generally I only focus and recompose when the spread of the focus points wont cover what I want to focus on.

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 10, 2014 12:15 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #16963218 (external link)
Generally I only focus and recompose when the spread of the focus points wont cover what I want to focus on.

This brings up a new question, I wonder why camera companies cluster the AF points right in the center of the frame? It doesn't matter if there are 50 or more AF points if they cover the same area (more or less) as 9 AF points. Why not spread them closer to the edge of the frame?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 10, 2014 14:54 |  #8

mamaof2 wrote in post #16963209 (external link)
If I am focusing and recomposing... My question is..some times im pointing at something I want in focus say the persons eyes ..but the outside lights light up showing those are the point of focus not the middle focal point...so how do I make that work?
Hope this makes sense..

Is there a setting I should set my camera at? I did a factory reset so right now my camera is set like you would get it out of the box other then I selected AF one shot.

Check your camera manual for "AF Points". You can set the camera to use "All AF Points", which is what happens when you shoot in the Auto/Green Box modes. But frequently, that doesn't work well, so many of us shoot using a selected focus point. The Center AF point tends to be the most accurate/reliable, but feel free to choose an outer point when it suits the composition and the light allows you to get the AF!

last question...when I was taking pics the other day a ton of my shots were way over exposed..thoughts on this? (i can post pic if you need to see)

Well, we are all learning to take photos! Learning to get a good exposure is a key to that! Of course, if you shoot in the Auto/Green Box modes (or one of the semi-auto modes) then the camera will do its best to get a "good" exposure, and if the light is right, then our cameras can do a pretty decent job! This is why you see some phone/point & shoot photos that look pretty good!

But when you get "serious" about your photography, you want to take more control of what your camera is doing. The challenge is to do that without ruining your photos, but rather to improve them!

Here's a fun quick read:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 10, 2014 15:14 |  #9

tonylong wrote in post #16963625 (external link)
Check your camera manual for "AF Points". You can set the camera to use "All AF Points", which is what happens when you shoot in the Auto/Green Box modes. But frequently, that doesn't work well, so many of us shoot using a selected focus point. The Center AF point tends to be the most accurate/reliable, but feel free to choose an outer point when it suits the composition and the light allows you to get the AF!

Well, we are all learning to take photos! Learning to get a good exposure is a key to that! Of course, if you shoot in the Auto/Green Box modes (or one of the semi-auto modes) then the camera will do its best to get a "good" exposure, and if the light is right, then our cameras can do a pretty decent job! This is why you see some phone/point & shoot photos that look pretty good!

But when you get "serious" about your photography, you want to take more control of what your camera is doing. The challenge is to do that without ruining your photos, but rather to improve them!

Here's a fun quick read:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=414088

Thanks for the link Ill check it out. Right now I shoot in AV

Jessi
flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 10, 2014 15:58 |  #10

mamaof2 wrote in post #16963667 (external link)
Thanks for the link Ill check it out. Right now I shoot in AV

Av lets you set a "fixed" aperture, but it doesn't control your exposure. It automatically follows the camera's metering.

So, when shooting in any of the "Creative" modes (Av, Tv, P or M) you should learn how to "see" the light of a scene, to learn from experience 1) what metering mode might be most useful and 2) how to adjust your exposure to adapt to the lighting of your scene as well as the metering of the camera. For P, Av and Tv modes you can use the camera Exposure Compensation control to either "boost" your exposure or lower it...look in your camera manual to get the specifics of how to do that.

Tony

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 11, 2014 03:53 |  #11

morph2_7 wrote in post #16963320 (external link)
This brings up a new question, I wonder why camera companies cluster the AF points right in the center of the frame? It doesn't matter if there are 50 or more AF points if they cover the same area (more or less) as 9 AF points. Why not spread them closer to the edge of the frame?

As you get closer to the edge of the frame you get more distortion from the lenses which can really screw up you focus accuracy.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

PH68
599 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 11, 2014 04:23 |  #12

For a fast (low number) f-stop I always choose the focus point and don't recompose as the depth of field can be very narrow. So focus needs to be accurate.

For slower f-stops, such as f/8 or f/16, I might recompose if I'm in a rush... as the depth of field is large enough that the point of focus might be making little difference.

Generally though I always choose a single most appropriate focus point.

Fuji XE1 ~ XF18 ~ XF27 ~ XF60 ~ XC50-230

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 11, 2014 10:40 |  #13

kfreels wrote in post #16964703 (external link)
As you get closer to the edge of the frame you get more distortion from the lenses which can really screw up you focus accuracy.

Thanks.

sponsored links

1,370 views & 0 likes for this thread
AF questions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.