Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 00:44
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Old DSLR or Mirrorless"
Wife is always right. Keep the old Canon 500D.
73%
Beauty and brain do not co-exist. Get a mirrorless, more practical.
27%

37 voters, 37 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Old DSLR or Mirrorless

zurura
141 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 12, 2014 00:44 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from my Canon 500D to a 60D. I was not to keen on keeping the old camera and hunted a needy buyer.
But my wife insists me to keep the old camera so that she can use it. She would primarily use it for photographing the decorations in her line of work [wedding caterer and decorator] and the other occasional trip photos.

Now my argument is better to sell of the bulky DSLR and get a mirrorless [with a decent kit lens]. So that she does not think twice before carrying it to work. She does not have to carry an extra bag for the DSLR; just bundle it up in the usual bag. Get decent enough quality to get the decoration shots. [These need to be printed (max 8 X 12) quite a few times]. Additionally, this setup would let me use the mirrorless on casual trips with my canon lenses.

So,
Do I keep my DSLR and should not buy the mirrorless?
Or Sell off my DSLR and get a decent mirror-less around 16k?

If answer to second question is yes, which mirror less to get?
My preferences are RAW shooting [think, all mirror less have it], quality, ability to take Canon lenses [with an adopter not costing more than 40$, auto focus can be compromised].

Thanks for reading through this.

Gautam
__Work__ (external link)

sponsored links
samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 12, 2014 01:15 |  #2

Go EOS M. With your current DSLR sold, you should have no problem to finance for it at current very nicely dropped price. Recently there was a deal for $299 including EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. But I definitely prefer and recommend EF-M 22mm f/2 STM and you should be able to find a nice deal if you look for it.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

slarge
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 12, 2014 06:33 |  #3

Why can't your wife make her own decision about what camera she'd like to use?

SL1 | 18-55 STM | 55-250 STM | 24-85 3.5-4.5 | 50 1.8 | 24 STM | 10-18 STM

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,394 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 12, 2014 06:57 |  #4

Let your wife what she like to use, the 500D is a very nice camera, and she want to use it and it make a very good 8 x 12 print !
It's only you who want a mirrorless ;) so it's not about bulky or whatever, YOU try to argue because YOU want a new camera ;)
and i say it again the 500D is a very nice camera for her needs and if she like it so let her to use it ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 12, 2014 07:18 as a reply to  @ Reservoir Dog's post |  #5

For your needs I pick up a canon g1x mk I, they are selling at a discount with the release of the mkii......perfect camera for your travels also.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2014 07:39 as a reply to  @ mark2009's post |  #6

I would let your wife use what she wants to use. If she is happy with what you have, the 500D, why change?

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 12, 2014 07:45 |  #7

Going to vote for LET THE WIFE DECIDE! For the same reasons that some of us choose a DSLR over a mirrorless even when the mirrorless would be more convienent and would do what we need, your wife should have that option. If she wants to keep the 500D, then she should be able to also work your 60D pretty quickly if you need her to.

If she decides she likes the idea of a smaller camera, you should let her choose as there are many good mirrorless options for the use she wants.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2014 07:57 |  #8

If your going mirrorless, skip the EOS-M. That camera was a joke when it came out and Canon has shown ZERO interest in investing further in mirrorless. There are many other options out there, all way better than the EOS-M.

But I like slarge's advice about letting your wife decide. Maybe lay out a few options to help her see the bigger picture, offer your advice but let her make the decision herself.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 12, 2014 11:35 |  #9

gjl711 wrote in post #16967072 (external link)
If your going mirrorless, skip the EOS-M. That camera was a joke when it came out and Canon has shown ZERO interest in investing further in mirrorless. There are many other options out there, all way better than the EOS-M.

But I like slarge's advice about letting your wife decide. Maybe lay out a few options to help her see the bigger picture, offer your advice but let her make the decision herself.

I agree. Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji all look good at the moment.

Gochugogi
76 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 12, 2014 12:43 |  #10

I thought my wife would want a mirrorless camera over a DSLR but she hated the Olympus Pen and grabs her old 60D every time. Says it's easier to use and likes the OVF. If she wants small, she manages with her iPhone. So, yeah, let her decide what she wants or she might end up with your 60D...

"I'm tryin' to think but nuttin' happens" -The Three Stooges
Ma Cool Digs (external link)

mplezia
429 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 12, 2014 12:53 |  #11

zurura wrote in post #16966775 (external link)
Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from my Canon 500D to a 60D. I was not to keen on keeping the old camera and hunted a needy buyer.
But my wife insists me to keep the old camera so that she can use it. She would primarily use it for photographing the decorations in her line of work [wedding caterer and decorator] and the other occasional trip photos.

Now my argument is better to sell of the bulky DSLR and get a mirrorless [with a decent kit lens]. So that she does not think twice before carrying it to work. She does not have to carry an extra bag for the DSLR; just bundle it up in the usual bag. Get decent enough quality to get the decoration shots. [These need to be printed (max 8 X 12) quite a few times]. Additionally, this setup would let me use the mirrorless on casual trips with my canon lenses.

So,
Do I keep my DSLR and should not buy the mirrorless?
Or Sell off my DSLR and get a decent mirror-less around 16k?

If answer to second question is yes, which mirror less to get?
My preferences are RAW shooting [think, all mirror less have it], quality, ability to take Canon lenses [with an adopter not costing more than 40$, auto focus can be compromised].

Thanks for reading through this.

You want a mirrorless and she wants to use your existing 500D. Purely from a need perspective, listen to your wife. A 500D with a 40mm pancake or 35mm f/2 would be a pretty small, but very capable, kit. Spending up to $1,000 for a small mirrorless for occasional use seems a little over the top. If you have the money, that's great, but boy that doesn't seem necessary.

Canon 60D | Canon 500D | Canon 430EX II | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM 'A' | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 12, 2014 12:54 |  #12

gjl711 wrote in post #16967072 (external link)

Totally disagrees with everything said.

Sorry but: Only a reckless person who has never had EOS-M in his lift, might say things like this. One who is only feed by media and no personal experience.:mad:

My EOS-M with 22mm lens is one of the best cameras I have ever had. I use it on daily basis no mater what other body I carry. I use it often for video coverage as well. I use it with all kind of my old lenses including FD lenses for best possible result I have ever gotten (And I own the $2000 Original FD to EOS adapter and still prefer what EOS-M gives me)....

The only joke about the EOS-M is the current price and any smart person should utilize that benefit to his or her best!

Anyone in doubt can look at many EOS-M threads.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

zurura
THREAD ­ STARTER
141 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 12, 2014 13:05 |  #13

Phew. That is some discussion.
I am based in India. So the discounts don't really trickle down to me here.
I had my eyes on a EPL3 with Panasonic 14mm f2.5. It is costing me around 211$. And my 500D is fetching me 320$.
The advantage of the mirrorless is the sheer size. I can carry it to all places where I carry my backpack. Plus my wife can carry it in her everyday bag. Carrying a DSLR everywhere would not be a practical option IMHO. The size and convenience was the basis of the question in my head.

Obviously, the final decision would be hers. I am just presenting the case.

Gautam
__Work__ (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,240 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 12, 2014 13:10 |  #14

samsen wrote in post #16967620 (external link)
Totally disagrees with everything said.

Sorry but: Only a reckless person who has never had EOS-M in his lift, might say things like this. One who is only feed by media and no personal experience.:mad:

My EOS-M with 22mm lens is one of the best cameras I have ever had. I use it on daily basis no mater what other body I carry. I use it often for video coverage as well. I use it with all kind of my old lenses including FD lenses for best possible result I have ever gotten (And I own the $2000 Original FD to EOS adapter and still prefer what EOS-M gives me)....

The only joke about the EOS-M is the current price and any smart person should utilize that benefit to his or her best!

Anyone in doubt can look at many EOS-M threads.

Though it may be the best camera you have ever used, the simple fact is that compared to Canon's competition, the EOS-M falls far short. That's not saying that it is a bad camera, just that compared to others, it's at the bottom of the list.

As to Canon's support, really? Canon has shown no interest in developing a mirrorless presence at least here in the USA. It's replacement was never marketed here, the EOS-M has been removed from it's USA website, and only 2 lenses are still shown. If that doesn't scream no interest, what does? Maybe sometime in the future they might try again, but the EOS-M is a clear example of a failed experiment.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 12, 2014 13:27 |  #15

^^^
Thanks.
I have only used (And still have working copies of) several versions 1Ds, 5Ds, Double digit Ds and many types of rebels, so yes may be I have not enough cameras to judge well...:rolleyes:

What people didn't get is that EOS-M is compatible with virtually every current, EF or EFs and previous Canon lens FD or FL or Screw 42mm, AF or Manual and even AF lenses with the right adapter (Electric as opposed to cheaper mechanical only) are fully electronically functional. So it is wrong to say EOS-M has no lens. It is much more compatible with all Canon and then virtually all other major manufacture's lenses, via right non-optical, infinity correct, adapter, whether electronic or manual.
Yes. Canon entered this marked last. They had slower AFing on initial firmware. Nothing more.
Canon EOS-M is a gem and at current sale and prices, I recommend all friends to get a copy If you are in market for anything in close range. Buy & use one. You will understand.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

4,039 views & 0 likes for this thread
Old DSLR or Mirrorless
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.