Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 12 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 12:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Second shooting (kinda sorta)

KWAssist
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 12, 2014 12:51 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'
So,

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

I assist my husband and recently helped him shoot a destination wedding in Florida. Usually I assist with posing, equipment, office work, client communication, etc....

I was a hobbyist photographer for years and always wanted to take photos at a wedding, but somehow never got the chance. So while he shot this wedding, his first as main shooter and second ever, (and wow, did he ever nail it) I picked up his spare camera to get some angles and focal lengths that were a bit different during the first dance. I wasn't officially a second shooter, but I wanted to practice for future weddings as I'll be doing some SS duties in the future.

I haven't had a chance to really edit these, but took a quick stab in lightroom while still on the trip. I was quite pleased with them, and have several more I really like, and a few during the ceremony.

These were shot on the 7d with the Sigma 70-200 2.8 with IS. I know they are pretty simple shots, but I was happy. I hope to post a selection of shots from the whole wedding, which was really lovely.

So what do you think? Are these okay?

sponsored links
karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 12, 2014 12:56 |  #2

Where are the photos?

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

KWAssist
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 12, 2014 12:57 |  #3

Sorry, I thought they were attached. Should be there now. Let me know if they don't show up, and beware facebook compression. :) I tried to attach as file, but it didn't work due to user error. lol

jbsg02
192 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jun 12, 2014 15:20 |  #4

Not bad! The composition could be better on the 2nd with a little more of them in the shot. I'm guessing it was composed that way due to your focus point

jbriggsphoto.com (external link)
5D3, 6D, 70-200 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 85mm 1.2L ii, 135mm f/2L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 580 ex ii

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 12, 2014 16:44 |  #5

The exposure looks good on both--even though both shots exhibit a different style (one quasi silhouette, the other more standard). I would have composed them slightly differently--tilting up a little more for the first shot so there heads weren't so near the top; and the second seems to have a little too much headroom (especially given that you can simplify the photo by cropping out the lanterns). But overall, they're both decent photos.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

KWAssist
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 12, 2014 22:16 |  #6

Thank you all. I debated cropping out the lanterns, but I sort of liked them. I see what you mean. Ultimately it's up to my husband to decide the final edits, or even if they will be included. I seriously haven't practiced in months. There was a time I shot more consistently, and had my camera set up for my shooting style. If I do SS I will be bringing my own camera and lenses, for sure. But for not running a camera for months, and never shooting high pressure events, I was happy overall. Yay for the exposure being okay. :)

Things move so fast. I agree the first could have more bottom room, for a less "chopped" crop, but I had just zoomed for detail, saw this moment, and couldn't adjust! :)

I did incluce too much floor in the second. I even cropped it down. I was thinking "artsy" and ended up clumsy, though I'm not so unhappy with the cropped version. :)

Thanks again! Appreciate the insight.

sponsored links

977 views & 0 likes for this thread
Second shooting (kinda sorta)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.