Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama screw up or Mine??

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jun 12, 2014 20:52 |  #1

I wasn't going to post this but;
I have defended Adorama and B&H on this forum.

A week or ten days ago Adorama had a sale on their brand of the Cheetah light for $143 less than Cheetahstand so I ordered one over the phone because the ad wasn't coming up on my phone. I was asked for my phone number he said my name and address, All was good.

Then they had a Lexar card sale here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1379958
It had free shipping anyway, and as I am a Adorama Vip Member and a Kelbyone member always free shipping. So I put them in the cart and go to checkout, the cart adds $5.95 shipping?? I tried to call but they are closed.
Evidently this was a mistake or a 1 Hour sale, anyway by the time they are open the deal is gone. Oh well not the first good deal I missed.
I log in a week later to check on shipping progress of lights all is good be here tomorrow.
I noticed that my VIP account didn't get credited for the sale from the light?? I call up and found I had ordered a long time ago with a different email account Which was tied to my phone number.
When I signed up for the VIP account I used my Kelby one email. Anyway the CS person said nothing they can do.
So now I missed killer card deal and don't get my Freebies after first purchase from VIP.
So I email Helen, just knowing she can fix it. Unfortunately she couldn't :(

I really want to try Adorama pix so I find a couple cheapy clamps and try and call it in, ERRR closed! Will wait till tomorrow.
While on the order page I see an ad for Fathers day, it is pdf http://www.adorama.com …es/Workshops/ad​061014.pdf (external link) and no click-able links so I type in model number to check the specs and poof http://www.adorama.com …MirmcvT9b4CFUhu​fgodyKsAeg (external link)
The same laptop is $120 more in the sale ad than regular price!!
Ok I give up!

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

sponsored links
mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 12, 2014 22:58 |  #2

Randy, I suppose it is possible to say that you are at fault to some extent given the inconsistent email addresses, but I find it completely unacceptable and honestly unbelieveable that Adorama can't/won't work that out for you. You aren't trying to get over on them or anything.

I went through a variety of annoyances with them around the VIP program as well. And I gave up as well. Not worth the hassle at the end of the day. Their CS reps just don't seem to have the desire or ability to do much of anything beyond the ordinary. Helen usually can and does. I'm surprised she isn't helping you out.

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 13, 2014 01:06 |  #3

Similar situation for me. I logged in under my VIP account, but checked out via PayPal so it switched to to that email, thus not getting the VIP freebies. Sent an email, no reply other than an email with all my freebies and benefits. =\ I'm sure they will clear this up for you as well.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 13, 2014 08:07 |  #4

BamPhoto wrote in post #16968411 (external link)
I wasn't going to post this but;
I have defended Adorama and B&H on this forum.

A week or ten days ago Adorama had a sale on their brand of the Cheetah light for $143 less than Cheetahstand so I ordered one over the phone because the ad wasn't coming up on my phone. I was asked for my phone number he said my name and address, All was good.

Then they had a Lexar card sale here:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1379958
It had free shipping anyway, and as I am a Adorama Vip Member and a Kelbyone member always free shipping. So I put them in the cart and go to checkout, the cart adds $5.95 shipping?? I tried to call but they are closed.
Evidently this was a mistake or a 1 Hour sale, anyway by the time they are open the deal is gone. Oh well not the first good deal I missed.
I log in a week later to check on shipping progress of lights all is good be here tomorrow.
I noticed that my VIP account didn't get credited for the sale from the light?? I call up and found I had ordered a long time ago with a different email account Which was tied to my phone number.
When I signed up for the VIP account I used my Kelby one email. Anyway the CS person said nothing they can do.
So now I missed killer card deal and don't get my Freebies after first purchase from VIP.
So I email Helen, just knowing she can fix it. Unfortunately she couldn't :(

That isn't what I said at all! My email stated: I'm really sorry, but I've just been advised that we can't merge the accounts - however, the email xxxxxx1@hotmail.com (external link) will be included on the next VIP rewards mailing that goes out.

re: the free shipping for KelbyOne (formerly known as NAPP) membership, I advised you that to benefit from the free ground shipping offered for being a Kelby One member you need to place your order via: email: kelbyone@adorama.com (external link)
or
KelbyOne Member LINE 1-888-209-5776

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 13, 2014 08:09 |  #5

AZFiLM wrote in post #16968785 (external link)
Similar situation for me. I logged in under my VIP account, but checked out via PayPal so it switched to to that email, thus not getting the VIP freebies. Sent an email, no reply other than an email with all my freebies and benefits. =\ I'm sure they will clear this up for you as well.

Send me the order number and your two different email addresses. As above, we can't merge the accounts together, but you will certainly get your freebies.
However, it won't be as quick as if you'd ordered using the email address under which your VIP account is registered!

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 13, 2014 08:12 |  #6

mpix345 wrote in post #16968640 (external link)
..... Their CS reps just don't seem to have the (desire or)ability to do much of anything beyond the ordinary.

They are call center reps on minimum wage....

mpix345 wrote in post #16968640 (external link)
...Helen usually can and does. I'm surprised she isn't helping you out.

I'm surprised, too!

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 13, 2014 09:59 |  #7

HelenOster wrote in post #16969116 (external link)
They are call center reps on minimum wage....

Are they not the people Adorama's customers are supposed to call when there is an issue?

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,311 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 13, 2014 10:06 |  #8

Although frustrating for customers, call center CS is a common thing. For companies that get thousands of calls a day there really is no other way. What they lack in knowledge they make up for in cost (for the company, of course). You will find this with any larger company. I had to deal with the same thing with Comcast last month. Total nightmare.

Lucky for you we have Helen.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 13, 2014 10:10 |  #9

mpix345 wrote in post #16969306 (external link)
Are they not the people Adorama's customers are supposed to call when there is an issue?

You can, of course. Although I'd wager that 90% of their calls are 1. requests for an ETA - which they never know. (If it was known it'd be on the website). Or 2. calls are to complain that an item hasn't been shipped within a half hour of placing an order; (as we ship most orders received right up 'til 8:00 pm nobody gets a shipping notice 'til all orders are in). Or, 3. complaints that although a customer's cc has been charged an item hasn't shipped (because UPS say they don't have the item in question - when the reality is that UPS has it but hasn't actually scanned it into their system). Or 4. complaints that UPS trashed the packaging / lost the package / left it on the step in the rain.
They are great at those sorts of questions, and to employ people to answer the 10% of more complicated questions would only increase costs!

As Farmer Ted says, that is why you (and many of the other major photography forums) have me

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 14, 2014 09:11 |  #10

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #16969316 (external link)
Although frustrating for customers, call center CS is a common thing. For companies that get thousands of calls a day there really is no other way. What they lack in knowledge they make up for in cost (for the company, of course). You will find this with any larger company. I had to deal with the same thing with Comcast last month. Total nightmare.

Lucky for you we have Helen.

No, they don't make it up in costs - as the p'd off customer is more likely to abandon them.

What they make it up in is METRICS. That is, the costs that they actually track (the CS dep't budget) vs the costs that are hard to track (lost customers due to poor CS).

Modern US corporations, large companies, and often midsize companies are run by metrics. The owners who care about their business and try and make common sense decisions have been replaced by CEOs who are mainly interested in self promotion. Sad but true.

This is all part of a general problem - and I am in no way speaking about Adorama here, my dealings with them have been flawless.

The people working for a large company, especially in the lower paying CS positions, don't really care as much about retaining that single customer (who in their mind is just another d'head who's unable to follow simple instructions) as they do about finishing the day without too much hassle and meeting whatever job performance metrics there are. And their job performance metrics are most definitely not set on bending the written company rules to help a confused customer get his discount.

While mom & pop running the shop know that rules are secondary to the whole idea of promotion (retaining the customer & making him happy with company & wanting to shop there again), for a CS employee or a low / mid level manager trying to go around them means sticking their head out - that's not necessarily the best career move. The metrics and targets replace common sense.

I think Henry Ford was a despicable piece of human trash. But he would most definitely not run his company into the ground in long term to make short terms profits & boost the shareholder excitement so that he could collect his bonus & jump the ship before it starts to sink.

Again, this has nothing to do with Adorama and this particular issue. But my dealings with most large companies as of late (Comcast, AT&T, Amazon) have generally been much more painful than they should have been.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,311 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 14, 2014 12:18 |  #11

Their metric is the amount of people lost by call center hyginx is overshadowed by their marketing campaign. It's attrition. They can, and have weathered the storm, as have most companies using call centers. Unfortunately it is commonly a practice larger companies use, because as Helen says the majority of questions are from customers **** about something simple to answer for them or impossible to answer for them so it's a great first line for the bottom line of the company.

CS in this day and age is very rare. I own a small company. I know what it takes to provide excellent CS. If I didn't do it I would be out of business. Simple as that. Larger companies with marketing budgets and stockholders can allocate resources to areas that make the bottom line profitable. The resources don't always go where consumers would like.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2014 13:15 |  #12

besides any smart shopper know's to never talk to CS (and if you absolutely have to ask for a manager), the job of a CS person is not to help you but rather it is to get you off the phone as quickly as possible. I have worked as a cs agent for 3 different places (and 3 totally different kinds of companies) and it is always exactly the same. Get them off the phone.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 14, 2014 13:59 |  #13

mine1 wrote in post #16971426 (external link)
besides any smart shopper know's to never talk to CS (and if you absolutely have to ask for a manager)..... it is always exactly the same. Get them off the phone.

I much prefer email; everyone has a record of what's been agreed to (and I try to avoid any CS where I have to message via a website - I am never totally sure that my message has been seen)

mine1
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 14, 2014 14:23 |  #14

well, helen I meant for the people that are not willing to do an email and "have" to call.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/81190407@N08/ (external link)
Canon 60d.Canon 18-135, 55-250 II, and 10-18 stm. and Benro C-1681t Travel Angel, with Sirui K20x head.

spotch
148 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 14, 2014 21:05 |  #15

With all the "adorama doesn't care about customers and customer service" posts there must be an an awful lot of people who have Helen on "ignore"' or something...

sponsored links

3,242 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama screw up or Mine??
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.