Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 20:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

help me get started! (beginner)

pankajkumars
179 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 13, 2014 06:19 |  #16

When the gears shall be consolidated, a 6D clubbed with 35mm 1.4L & 85mm 1.8 will server longer.

5D MK IV + 5D MK II | 24-85 | 35L | 85mm 1.2 IIL | 70-200 2.8 IS II L , Olympus EM5 II + PL25mm 1.4
flickr pankajks (external link)

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,680 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 13, 2014 06:35 |  #17

foxtonlegal wrote in post #16968404 (external link)
I'm thinking of learning photography came from a bridge camera so i know nothing about photography yet. When advising me on lens or anything else please explain to me or i wont understand.

I'm choosing between Nikon d90 and a canon model which have similar controls to a d90 with a LCD on top. Im going to learn fast so im not getting all the beginner models with no LCD I want to be used to the LCD since all pro models now come with LCD. Initially i have already decided on getting the d90 but i figured that i might go full frame and im choosing canon one day so i might as well start with a canon?

please advise me some canon camera models with LCD and something similar or on par with the d90 :D and you may advise me on the lens i should get together with the camera (i mainly shoot portrait and landscapes). Doesnt matter about the price because im getting it used.

Well if you are getting a Nikon D90 to start with wouldn't you be better off sticking with Nikon to go full-frame?

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,349 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 13, 2014 06:46 |  #18

Rolex wrote in post #16968906 (external link)
I'd sugest holding back on the EF 600 f4 L for a few weeks tho!.. maybe until you get a bigger bag

Money bag.:)

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 13, 2014 07:03 |  #19

6D
17-40L
35L
135L
and close your bag

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 13, 2014 13:01 |  #20

BigAl007 wrote in post #16968945 (external link)
The 1DII is not a full frame camera, although it's not a 1.6 crop either. It uses what Canon calls APS-d which is a 1.3 crop.

Alan

I've never heard of APS-D so I googled it. I got "Antisocial Process Screening Device" - an instrument that detects antisocial characteristics. Nothing to do with camera sensor.

You sure it isn't APS-H? Do they call it APS-D in UK?

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 13, 2014 15:09 |  #21

DSLR you get does not matter.

If you're shooting for yourself, you're better off staying away from canon (and nikon) DSLRs because they're big, bulky and good lenses are faster than they need to be and are huge.

To shoot for yourself, get a small camera that's easy to carry. You'll be able to learn all of the same things. Sony has some full frame mirrorless.

When you go pro, you'll pick some huge canon rig with a flash bracket and a backup body and do weddings. That LCD is not very necessary.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,099 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 13, 2014 16:45 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #22

1D cameras use the APS-H format, that's correct.

Anders

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 13, 2014 17:33 |  #23

If you choose Canon I would start out with a XXD model (50D, 60D, 70D), for lenses I'd start with the 50 f/1.8 (inexpensive fast lens) and 28-135 f/3.5-5.6. These aren't the greatest lenses in the world but they are decent and will give you a range of speed and zoom and not break the bank. Should you find you are really into photography and want to pursue it then start looking at the L lenses. Here's a link to Canon's lens line up: http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ts/cameras/ef_l​ens_lineup (external link) GET A TRIPOD! This is probably one of the most important accessories you can have, you'll need it for landscape but it will also allow you experiment and learn the setting and the effects of the camera. Other accessories are lens pen, an air blower, memory cards, camera bag and possibly a different neck strap (prefer slings as it takes the weight off your neck but this is a personal preference).

If you purchase a camera from an actual camera store inquire to see if they have introductory classes, most do and they are typically free with the purchase. Do reading on how shutter, iso and aperture affect one another. Once this makes sense and you understand the relationship between them you will be a lot more successful in capturing images and desired effects you are going for.

Here's a link to a camera simulator where you can play with aperture, iso and shutter settings to see how they affect one another. Just a warning, photography is addicting and once your hooked it can get very expensive :-)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,011 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 13, 2014 18:12 |  #24

Sorry it was a typo, I was being hurried out the door by my daughter.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 13, 2014 21:19 |  #25

foxtonlegal wrote in post #16968404 (external link)
I'm thinking of learning photography came from a bridge camera so i know nothing about photography yet. When advising me on lens or anything else please explain to me or i wont understand.

I'm choosing between Nikon d90 and a canon model which have similar controls to a d90 with a LCD on top. Im going to learn fast so im not getting all the beginner models with no LCD I want to be used to the LCD since all pro models now come with LCD. Initially i have already decided on getting the d90 but i figured that i might go full frame and im choosing canon one day so i might as well start with a canon?

please advise me some canon camera models with LCD and something similar or on par with the d90 :D and you may advise me on the lens i should get together with the camera (i mainly shoot portrait and landscapes). Doesnt matter about the price because im getting it used.

Well, really, it does matter -- the Nikon D90 is not by any means a top-of-the-line body, but when you mention "full frame" in the Canon forum your choices are limited and of a considerably higher level both of performance qualities and of price, so maybe you should help us help you and let us know both about your shooting aspirations and about your real budget.

As to the top LCD, those are featured on all the pro-sumer as well as pro lines of Canons, so the XXD models and the XD models have them, this goes a long ways back.

For a nice low price, you could look at, say, a used EOS 50D (or 60D), with an 18-55IS kit lens and the longer zoom 55-250IS kit lens, you could have a lot of functionality for a very affordable price!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 13, 2014 22:03 |  #26

wookiee2cu wrote in post #16970054 (external link)
GET A TRIPOD! This is probably one of the most important accessories you can have, you'll need it for landscape but it will also allow you experiment and learn the setting and the effects of the camera.

I don't think a tripod is necessary for any of those things, and I do think that getting a tripod too early encourages a rigid, inflexible style. One exception I would make is if the person is interested in formal portraiture, with the subject posed in a studio.

There's also the detail that a good tripod and head costs more than a good camera. (And if you do get a tripod, you also need a remote release.)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 14, 2014 00:04 |  #27

melcat wrote in post #16970513 (external link)
I don't think a tripod is necessary for any of those things, and I do think that getting a tripod too early encourages a rigid, inflexible style. One exception I would make is if the person is interested in formal portraiture, with the subject posed in a studio.

There's also the detail that a good tripod and head costs more than a good camera. (And if you do get a tripod, you also need a remote release.)

Hmm, a good tripod/head was one of my first accessories, not so much for portraits, but because I was after good quality landscape/scenic photos, and for those a tripod is for me a must! I also have a monopod, which often I'll bring with when going after birds because with a long lens, having the bit of stability the monopod offers can be a big plus!

I do plenty of "walk-around" shooting without a tripod, and you do need to get your skill set down for that stuff. It's just that I'm happy to have a tripod/monopod handy when a shoot will benefit!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Zaphs
44 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 14, 2014 07:21 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #28

Speaking of the Nikon D90, isn't it a model out of production these days? Wasn't it the one replaced by the D7000 (afaik they were sold simultanously at some point) and later again with the D7100? :eek:

6D, 24-70/4L IS, 50/1.2L, 135/2L :3

foxtonlegal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 14, 2014 21:02 |  #29

Zaphs wrote in post #16970942 (external link)
Speaking of the Nikon D90, isn't it a model out of production these days? Wasn't it the one replaced by the D7000 (afaik they were sold simultanously at some point) and later again with the D7100? :eek:

yep not for sale anymore only can get a used d90 so what would you recommend me?

foxtonlegal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 14, 2014 21:02 |  #30

wookiee2cu wrote in post #16970054 (external link)
Here's a link to a camera simulator where you can play with aperture, iso and shutter settings to see how they affect one another. Just a warning, photography is addicting and once your hooked it can get very expensive :-)

wheres the link?

sponsored links

3,755 views & 0 likes for this thread
help me get started! (beginner)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.