Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 09:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D battery life and "Cannot communicate with battery" error?

quadwing
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 11, 2014 09:26 |  #1

My 7D about 4 months ago (I haven't used in a few months due to Army stuff) started giving me the "Cannot communicate with battery" (CCWB) error. I'm just learning to live with it at this point, but I've realized that ever since that error has started, it's had a much shorter battery life than it did before. There were times where I'd accidentally leave the camera on for a day or two, and the battery would still be at 100%, or at least 75%, and I could shoot with it all day. Now it just dies a lot more quickly when left on, and lasts probably about 500 shots or less.

Anyone experience anything similar? Any solutions perhaps?

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,276 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 11, 2014 09:28 |  #2

Is this happening with multiple batteries, or just the one?

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,654 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined May 2012

Jun 11, 2014 09:57 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #3

Is it a Canon battery or aftermarket?

Mark

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 11, 2014 10:43 |  #4

I only have one battery. :S It's the Canon battery. I can't exactly afford a new one right now.

Camera gear: Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II | Lights: Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,718 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 11, 2014 10:44 |  #5

quadwing wrote in post #16965103 (external link)
There were times where I'd accidentally leave the camera on for a day or two, and the battery would still be at 100%, or at least 75%, and I could shoot with it all day. Now it just dies a lot more quickly when left on, and lasts probably about 500 shots or less.

Keep in mind that most Canon cameras go into a "sleep" mode when left on so this maynot be an indicator. Beyond the advice/questions already presented, how is the behavior of the battery/charger combination? Are you getting proper indication of a full charge? Do you have the ability to measure the voltage across the battery terminals?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,276 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 11, 2014 10:49 |  #6

quadwing wrote in post #16965266 (external link)
I only have one battery. :S It's the Canon battery. I can't exactly afford a new one right now.

Look on amazon at the wasabi brand aftermarket batteries. You can get one for around $10. They work fine. It's most likely a battery failure rather than a camera failing so I would start there.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,718 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 11, 2014 11:24 |  #7

quadwing wrote in post #16965266 (external link)

gonzogolf wrote in post #16965282 (external link)
Look on amazon at the wasabi brand aftermarket batteries. You can get one for around $10. They work fine. It's most likely a battery failure rather than a camera failing so I would start there.

Or the SterlingTek at http://www.amazon.com …on+7d+sterlingt​ek+battery (external link).

Jeff ­ Donald
39 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 11, 2014 13:46 |  #8

How old is the battery and what does the camera show in the menu as to the batteries condition?

Gochugogi
76 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 11, 2014 16:13 |  #9

When batteries sit for a few month they often develop a chemical film on the contacts. I'd clean them first and see if that helps. I use contact cleaner on a q-tip for both camera terminal and battery. Don't spray on gear directly! Even a good wipe with a clean cotton cloth can remove most of it. Fixed my camera a few when it lived in the bag for the winter waiting for good light...

There is a known issue with screws working loose on the 7D PC board, causing rapid battery drain. I'd check all the obvious stuff--clean contacts, reset camera, try new battery--before performing this surgery:

http://www.dpreview.co​m …age=3#forum-post-51929450 (external link)

"I'm tryin' to think but nuttin' happens" -The Three Stooges
Ma Cool Digs (external link)

raksphoto
527 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 11, 2014 21:33 |  #10

I had this happen. It is most likely due to a broken PCB which mates to the battery, inside the camera. I tried everything I read about before finally having Canon repair it. I think that cost something like $245, but it brought my baby back to life. Good luck OP!

2x 7D Mark II | 70D | 5DSr
EF-S 10-18mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |
EF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L |
EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 35mm f/1.4L EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM MACRO

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Jun 13, 2014 15:01 as a reply to  @ raksphoto's post |  #11

I just sent mine to Canon for a similar issue. If it's happening with multiple batteries, you'll probably need to send it in.

If you qualify for CPS Gold, for $100, you get 20% off and free return shipping. My total was $175.20, saving $66.80. The CPS strap you get for joining seems to sell here for $50 if you don't want it. It worked out for me because I had more than one item to go in for repair.

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

quadwing
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 14, 2014 11:43 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #12

Sorry, I've been away the past couple of days. Once I can get in front of my camera (it's across the country right now >_<;) I'll try some of those things out and update you guys. But I think it's the camera. I haven't tried another battery though. We'll see I guess.

But yeah, rapid battery drain even in "sleep mode" is the issue.

Also, this is my 666th post. Just throwing that out there. Dun dun dun.

Waldemar ­ Sikorski
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 14, 2014 13:13 |  #13

quadwing wrote in post #16971289 (external link)

You devil you.

Val.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/sikorskienator (external link)
Picasa albums organized by bird species. (external link)
7D gripped, 40D gripped....100-400L Yes, it's taken with the Sigma 150-500.

h14nha
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 14, 2014 19:11 |  #14

Sorry, I've been away the past couple of days. Once I can get in front of my camera (it's across the country right now >_<;) I'll try some of those things out and update you guys. But I think it's the camera. I haven't tried another battery though. We'll see I guess.

But yeah, rapid battery drain even in "sleep mode" is the issue.

I had that for about 8/9 months. It was on the original Canon battery I had. My Canon battery was dying in hours from a full charge. I bought an after market battery, ( it cost about half what the Canon version ) the error code continued, I had no battery level indicator in the viewfinder either.

I kept meaning to do something about it, just never got around to actually doing it. Then, all of a sudden, everything came back to life and its been fine ever since ( about a year now ). It holds it charge, the battery level indicator works now with the new battery.

A theory of mine is, the original Canon battery dies and somehow, does some damage to the cameras electronics. From what I've read on these posts the common denominator in these threads is the dying of the battery. Perhaps that's why it rights itself in so many cases after a prolonged period...............

Anyway, good luck with yours, I hope it sorts itself out.

Ian
There's no fool like an old skool fool :D
myflickr (external link)
My Gear - 7d, / 16-35mm F4 / 70-200 2.8 II / 100-400 / 300mm 2.8 / 500/4 :D XT-1 Graphite 18/35/56

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,397 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 14, 2014 19:42 |  #15

Meh, post one more and you're no longer the sign of the beast;) How long have you been using this battery? As was previously stated, check your battery health in the menu. From what I've read, Canon and others recommend just replacing the battery by the time it's two health bars. At least these lithium ion batteries seem more consistent: they hold their charge a lot longer, and their lifespan seems to be equal to usage. Then again, if your camera is constantly giving you cannot communicate errors, there could be improper seating with contacts (be it dirt/film/etc). I could also see that improper seating would continually cycle the battery. Perhaps first cleaning all contacts, then checking the battery health is in order. If the battery health still is low, I'd recommend going with a Canon battery. 3rd party batteries are hit or miss as to how long they'll last.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

5,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 7D battery life and "Cannot communicate with battery" error?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.