Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Jun 2014 (Friday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

release needed for non-person photos?

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 13, 2014 15:22 |  #1

I shot a wedding and they're now making a fuss about having their images shared even tho at first they said ok. That's fine, I won't share them, but there are some detail shots and environmental shots from the wedding that I'd like to include in my portfolio.

Can I still post images from the day that doesn't have identifiable persons in them? I.e detail shots and photos where faces aren't distinguishable (back of peoples heads. Sure there is also the issue of having unhappy customers, but purely from a legal standpoint.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

sponsored links
Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 13, 2014 15:24 |  #2

Share as in use in your portfolio or publish on social media?

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

pstyle1
THREAD ­ STARTER
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 13, 2014 15:25 |  #3

as in on my website and social media.

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 13, 2014 16:52 |  #4

go ahead, if they ask, take them down.

if there isnt anything tying them to the images, they probably wont make a stink.

technically its a private event, does your contract state you can post images?

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 13, 2014 17:17 |  #5

It shouldn't matter. In the USA a photographer can use any photo they created in their portfolio. Customer relations in regards to what you post on social media sites is a whole other issue.

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,269 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 13, 2014 20:41 |  #6

pstyle1 wrote in post #16969843 (external link)
Can I still post images from the day that doesn't have identifiable persons in them? I.e detail shots and photos where faces aren't distinguishable (back of peoples heads. Sure there is also the issue of having unhappy customers, but purely from a legal standpoint.

Assuming that you retain copyright on your images, yes. However, as you note, customer happiness may not align perfectly with what is legally allowed.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 14, 2014 07:51 |  #7

Its just dumb not to have a model release clause in your wedding contract. That puts you in a much better position to have this discussion with your clients. After all, its easy to say that they would not have been able to book you if they had not seen your portfolio of your work. Perhaps the gift of a nice framed print will help them change their mind.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

aparis99
267 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 17, 2014 08:38 |  #8

My agreement basically states that I, as the photographer, retain all copyrights, and can use them for my portfolio as I see fit, so no fuss here.

My Site - www.apimagery.com (external link)
Canon 5DmkIV (x2), Canon 16-35 f/4LIS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8LII, Canon 24-70 f/2.8LII, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Sigma Art 35 f1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8L, Canon 100-400LII, 2x Extender III, 580exII, Think Tank Retro 30 and 40

sponsored links

1,085 views & 0 likes for this thread
release needed for non-person photos?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.