Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Jun 2014 (Friday) 21:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cleaning smudges on a lens

Henik
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 13, 2014 21:20 |  #1

I was at a dog off-leash are trying out a new canon 100-400 lens. I stopped to talk to someone and had my lens pointing downward and before I realized what happened, a dog had stuck his nose into the lens hood, smearing the lens element with his nose. I used ziess lens wipes to clean the element, but still see slight streaks. Can anyone recommend a way to get a lens spotless, as in factory clean. Generally I use B W filters on my lenses but was testing lens without filter.

sponsored links
dpds68
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 13, 2014 22:02 |  #2

A Lens Pen may be helpful .

Gripped Canon 7D,20D,XT / Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8 , 70-200 2.8L,EF50mm1.8 II,Sigma 150-500mm OS, Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6
Vivitar285Hv x2,Canon430EX,Nissin Di866,CTR-301P Triggers,
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dpds68/ (external link)

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 14, 2014 02:18 |  #3

a. With a lens brush, even the one on a lens pen, brush the glass to remove any dust
b. On a clean microfiber lens cloth, put a couple of droplets of liquid lens cleaner, and wipe the glass with the wet spot on the cloth on a circular motion
c. Now use a dry spot on the cloth to wipe the lens in a circular motion to remove any traces of the lens cleaning solution

Liquid lens cleaner can be found at most photo shops.

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 14, 2014 03:36 |  #4

Decades ago, a lens-freak friend gave me a cleaning tutorial in which he insisted that the final dry after isopropyl cleaning should be radial, ie from the centre to the edges.

I've unthinkingly adhered to this technique; only now am I wondering whether he was blowing air through a sphincter. Is there a sensible rationale for this, or should I just revert to a more intuitive circular motion. Thoughts?

~ Wallace
Gear List

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 14, 2014 03:52 |  #5

xhack wrote in post #16970814 (external link)
Decades ago, a lens-freak friend gave me a cleaning tutorial in which he insisted that the final dry after isopropyl cleaning should be radial, ie from the centre to the edges.

I've unthinkingly adhered to this technique; only now am I wondering whether he was blowing air through a sphincter. Is there a sensible rationale for this, or should I just revert to a more intuitive circular motion. Thoughts?

Don't just overthink it. Prio 1 is to remove dust before starting to wipe so you don't grind the front element. As soon as you have taken away the dust, you have lots of options.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,256 posts
Gallery: 1674 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 14, 2014 04:11 |  #6

Heya,

I don't clean my lenses very often. I don't see the point. I think cleaning them, if done improperly is more dangerous, any kind of physical rubbing can damage the coatings, or scratch things up. Cleaning them properly is just a pain to me. I only do it if it's really, really necessary. I walk through swamps and in the humid nastiness that is Florida. I touch my lenses all the time. Stuff hits my elements all the time. I don't use clear/UV filters, they're useless to me. Just lens hoods. Plenty of protection. Anyhow, the reality is, you can have all kinds of stuff in and on your lens. It takes a ton of blockage for it to actually stop enough light to matter. It takes serious smudges, smears and all kinds of debris or cracks to really effect the image seriously. I don't have time to worry about stuff on my lenses when I'm out shooting.

Anyhow, I may sound a little extreme about it, but here's an example of how indelicate it is. Lenses are plenty strong, plenty durable and I wouldn't worry about it so much to the point of spending all your time cleaning your lenses only to breath near them and put your own droplets right back on the front element.

I just took a fungus filled super takumar 50mm F1.4 (m42 mount) lens, put my finger prints all over it and then shook some sand off my arm (I was crawling in the dirt a little bit ago, doing some ground macro work on some spiders heh), then attached to my camera and shot through it. What do I notice happens with all that nastiness? The contrast goes down heavily due to the fungus and lack of coatings of a modern lens, but the finger prints and dirt really don't do much. But hey, you be the judge:

Fungus:

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/14231557877_ecccf0a754_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nFAs​kx  (external link) IMG_5474 (external link) by Mwise1023 (external link), on Flickr

Finger prints & sand:

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3879/14231557047_49ffbc72ed_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nFAs​6e  (external link) IMG_5475 (external link) by Mwise1023 (external link), on Flickr

Shot through all that to produce this:

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3917/14231556397_595b579282_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nFAr​U2  (external link) IMG_5483 (external link) by Mwise1023 (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2014 13:18 |  #7

really? So no one else rolls with their T shirt??? T shirt when using and a microfiber cloth in the bag seems to work fine. I will let you guys know when I rub off all the special coatings and the lens no longer works.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

2ndviolinman
345 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 14, 2014 13:52 |  #8

MalVeaux, that's the look I'm after in my work, for sure, so I'll treat my lenses just like that from now on.

Actually, it isn't, so I try to keep them from getting dirty. Dirt scratches, smudges kill contrast and promote flare, I don't like that look, so if one is dirty, I'll clean it. RayinAlaska's advice is good, I use good quality lens tissue, no heavy pressure. If there is grease that does not lift easily with lens cleaner, I'll go to another solvent, like isopropyl alcohol.

If that doesn't get it, and I get flack every time I mention it, but in days gone by, ether was a popular choice for grease based smudges. You don't want that stuff around, so if I recommend xylene for the occasional greasy smudge that just smears with lens cleaner, please don't flame me. It will get it factory clean after you have done the milder cleaning. Use it in a ventilated area. It is not good to breath, but no worse than pumping your own gasoline. Use no more than necessary to get the smear off, keep it off paint and plastic. I have never damaged a lens doing this, and it is better than excess rubbing when a smudge will not lift with a milder solvent.

David
5Dc, 5Dii, Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, 40/2.8 Pancake, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.0L, 200/2.8L, converted 35mm TS, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, Zeiss Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7 & 85/2.8, Jena 135/3.5, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO, Canon 28-135.

sponsored links

2,069 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cleaning smudges on a lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.