Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 08 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My wife and daughter this morning

RMH
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 08, 2014 09:51 |  #1

They pose so nicely together :)

IMAGE: https://photosoffrankie.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/1k5a9745-small.jpg

IMAGE: https://photosoffrankie.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/1k5a9748-small.jpg

Both 85L @ f1.2

All the stuff I've owned at one time or another

sponsored links
Grayman
317 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jun 14, 2014 15:47 |  #2

Nice capture. Especially love no.1.

7D, 40D, Canon 24-70 f2.8, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-200 f4, Canon 580exii

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 14, 2014 16:32 as a reply to  @ Grayman's post |  #3

Thanks!

I prefer #2, my wife prefers #1... Guess she's right, as usual :p

xarik
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 14, 2014 21:11 |  #4

How far back were you to get a deep DOF at 1.2? Is this cropped?

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 14, 2014 21:17 as a reply to  @ xarik's post |  #5

Its not cropped. I was maybe 10 - 15 feet away.

The DoF is pretty thin, the downsize probably makes it look deeper than it is

xarik
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 14, 2014 21:22 |  #6

Well it's a great capture, just been struggling with sharpness wide open on my 2.8 lenses and you caught this on a 1.2 lol. Might just be the 5D's old focusing system or that I shoot on one shot most the time...maybe AI servo is better

Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 15, 2014 06:34 |  #7

Thx :)

The difference between the 5DII and 5DIII for AF is huge, esp at wide apetures. The 5Dc doesn't have MFA, right?

I can nail focus most of the time at 1.2, even at minimum focus distance, careful technique comes into that, but honestly, the 5D3 really helps.

If you're having trouble at 2.8 i'd think about sending the body and lens into cannon for a tuneup

gtrag94
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jun 15, 2014 07:35 |  #8

Sorry, bad angle for a dress. :(

Fort Wayne, IN Portrait & Wedding Photographer
http://www.craigagapie​photography.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/CraigAgapiePhotograp​hy (external link)

xarik
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 15, 2014 15:07 |  #9

Not entirely sure what MFA is? Is that Micro fine adjustment? I don't believe there is micro adjustment for focusing on the 5D classic. I haven't had TERRIBLE issues with the focus, but when I use one of the outer focusing points and not the center one, it's just a tad slower and sometimes misses. I'm wondering if shooting in AI servo will help because it'll keep it in focus until I shoot.

xarik
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 15, 2014 15:09 |  #10

I don't mean to hijack your post, but here's an example of where I've had an issue. I shot this one with a 70-200mm F4 L @F4 with 1/125th ISO 125 and F4 on my 5D classic, I used the center focus point and it still is slightly off and focused on the hair behind her left eye, rather than on her nose or on her left eye where I had it.

IMAGE: http://i61.tinypic.com/30if882.jpg

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 15, 2014 16:55 |  #11

I keep mine on servo -- at f1.2 even a little wobble throws it off for me on 1-shot. Also, I photograph my daughter mostly, and she is never truly static.

But for the shot above, i'd have thought f4 would give you a good few inches of DoF, which is more than a wobble. Still, might be worth trying servo.

It's also worth remembering that the focus point is bigger than indicated in the viewfinder, and it'll find the highest point of contrast. On the 5D2, i always used to focus on the cheek, with the eye just touching the top of the box, that meant it caught the eye, not the eyebrow (that does make a difference at f1.2.

Might be worth trying similar to make sure it's not catching something you don't mean it t

xarik
Goldmember
1,780 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 15, 2014 19:25 |  #12

RMH wrote in post #16973435 (external link)
I keep mine on servo -- at f1.2 even a little wobble throws it off for me on 1-shot. Also, I photograph my daughter mostly, and she is never truly static.

But for the shot above, i'd have thought f4 would give you a good few inches of DoF, which is more than a wobble. Still, might be worth trying servo.

It's also worth remembering that the focus point is bigger than indicated in the viewfinder, and it'll find the highest point of contrast. On the 5D2, i always used to focus on the cheek, with the eye just touching the top of the box, that meant it caught the eye, not the eyebrow (that does make a difference at f1.2.

Might be worth trying similar to make sure it's not catching something you don't mean it t

Great bit of help right there! Thank you friend! :) I'll try to shoot on servo more often, it just scares me that it might burn out the motor on my lenses if I use it too much (I might be paranoid and ridiculous though lol). I'll also start focusing on the cheek/eye rather than the entire eye and eyebrow. My issue is that I need to keep moving the focus point based on how I want to position my photo, the automatic selection rarely cuts it unfortunately. I'm guessing that it really liked the white wall and hair in this image and that is extremely high contrast so that's where it chose. I'll do some more testing tomorrow with my girlfriend and see how my 200mm F2.8 L does at 2.8 and a good distance between us :). This image was taken inside of a dorm room from about 5 or 6 feet away with the 70-200 F4 L, that doesn't help that I was so close

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 15, 2014 19:37 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

gtrag94 wrote in post #16972655 (external link)
Sorry, bad angle for a dress. :(

And your great post provides so much insight into this thread....Jesus. :rolleyes:

Love the first one! That 85mmL is very tempting.:D

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickr (external link)

RMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 15, 2014 21:08 |  #14

xarik wrote in post #16973695 (external link)
Great bit of help right there! Thank you friend! :) I'll try to shoot on servo more often, it just scares me that it might burn out the motor on my lenses if I use it too much (I might be paranoid and ridiculous though lol). I'll also start focusing on the cheek/eye rather than the entire eye and eyebrow. My issue is that I need to keep moving the focus point based on how I want to position my photo, the automatic selection rarely cuts it unfortunately. I'm guessing that it really liked the white wall and hair in this image and that is extremely high contrast so that's where it chose. I'll do some more testing tomorrow with my girlfriend and see how my 200mm F2.8 L does at 2.8 and a good distance between us :). This image was taken inside of a dorm room from about 5 or 6 feet away with the 70-200 F4 L, that doesn't help that I was so close

Lol, you are not going to burn out your focus motor. There are plenty of people using these lenses for sports, having them saw backwards and forwards for an hour or more.

With fewer focus points it's a lot harder to keep it on servo a the need to focus and recompose goes up. I don't think your focus misses are a result of being on 1-shot unless you or yor lovely lady are wobbling backwards and forward by 3 or 4 inches -- I do it on the 85L as at close range even a little can make a big difference, and as i said, I'm photographing a kid most of the time.

See if being a bit more carful with yor focus points helps first. It may also be usful to load the pics up in DPP and have it display where the focus point was. Mostly when I think the camera missed, I find out my AF point was not really where I thought it was somehow...

dpatrick27339
35 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 16, 2014 14:00 |  #15

cute pics!

Canon EOS 5D MII
400 5.6L - 17-40 f4.0 L - 100 2.8 macro - 50 1.4 - 580EXII - Battery Grip - Interfit Strobes - Manfrotto Tripod/Head
(was previously Advisor on this forum but lost password :lol:)

sponsored links

2,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
My wife and daughter this morning
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.