Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 13 Jun 2014 (Friday) 12:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D mk3 looking flash drive selling for $1700+

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 234 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 16, 2014 13:28 |  #61

Optiq wrote in post #16975111 (external link)
In fact, many LEGITIMATE sellers with GOOD INTENT often end up screwed selling on Ebay and dealing with Paypal.

Pretty much - paypalsucks.com didn't pop up for no reason.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

sponsored links
spotch
148 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 16, 2014 13:50 |  #62

snake0ape wrote in post #16974871 (external link)
If ebay doesn't refund the guy, let me know. I am a skilled photographer and I would love to sell my Canon 85mm f1.2 lens- red cup- pro edition for 1000 bucks.

Is that cup ver I or II? I want one but I'm not paying 1000 unless it's the II. I need the improved SQ (sipping quality).

;)

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 16, 2014 17:09 |  #63

spotch wrote in post #16974801 (external link)
Yup. And for those who say it's legit, would YOU list a flash drive that way here, no-perspective pic shot at f1.0 so everything is blurred or OOF except the "5d"?
I doubt it, or at least hope not. And if someone did do that here and tried to get 1000+ for a flash drive they'd get a thread full of warnings and hate.

Makes me sad seeing people stick up for the seller like this is totally legitimate.

IT WAS A BID!!!! Oh my gosh... the seller posted it at like what $25 to start hahaha... multiple bidders bid on this AFTER it was well about the "flash drive price" :-)

If you don't mind settling for a crop body & EF-S lens you can really save some money - http://www.ebay.com …%3D10%26sd%3D30​1209591513 (external link)

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 16, 2014 17:15 |  #64

I think that seller is about to lose their 100% positive feedback rating!

Joel

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 16, 2014 20:49 |  #65

Andrushka wrote in post #16975657 (external link)
IT WAS A BID!!!! Oh my gosh... the seller posted it at like what $25 to start hahaha...

If I'm selling something, I do it on ebay as a last resort. That said, I've still sold a couple dozen times and what I've read jibes with my experience - best results typically involve an auction-style sale with no minimum and a very low starting price - it gets people involved and invested in the auction. IOW, auction-style and low starting price means absolutely nothing.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 18, 2014 16:10 |  #66

WhyFi wrote in post #16976038 (external link)
If I'm selling something, I do it on ebay as a last resort. That said, I've still sold a couple dozen times and what I've read jibes with my experience - best results typically involve an auction-style sale with no minimum and a very low starting price - it gets people involved and invested in the auction. IOW, auction-style and low starting price means absolutely nothing.

It does mean something. Had the seller posted it at $1775 buy it now and had a slightly missleading title & photos it would definitely speak more to premeditated underhanded dealings.

It was set as a low starting bid and multiple people bid it into the realm of ridiculousness.

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 18, 2014 16:27 |  #67

Andrushka wrote in post #16979987 (external link)
It does mean something. Had the seller posted it at $1775 buy it now and had a slightly missleading title & photos it would definitely speak more to premeditated underhanded dealings.

It was set as a low starting bid and multiple people bid it into the realm of ridiculousness.

That's a logical fallacy - that a high starting bid would speak to underhandedness doesn't mean that a low starting bid speaks to innocence.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,890 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 18, 2014 18:30 |  #68

snake0ape wrote in post #16974525 (external link)
This is clearly a well crafted deceptive sale. Look at the photos and the title. Especially when you read "100% Original from Canon !!" in the description.

Did you research this a bit? It is stated that way because Canon actually created a ton of different little marketing trinkets like miniature 1D series and lenses, these USB drives, etc. to hand out at various Canon-sponsored shows. There are others out there that have copied this to get in on the interest, and they are junk. I would also list it as 100% Canon authentic, simply due to the junk copies out there.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,890 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 18, 2014 18:32 |  #69

WhyFi wrote in post #16980020 (external link)
That's a logical fallacy - that a high starting bid would speak to underhandedness doesn't mean that a low starting bid speaks to innocence.

The pics were clear, the listing was clear, the starting bid was low, there is zero indication of any deception at all, regardless of how you try to spin it. Sure, if people don't read everything, they might think something else, but that is the issue of the buyer. Look at how many people here don't read everything someone posts, and then assume they understand what was posted and infer things that aren't there. ;)

The pictures are clear, one can easily tell its not a real camera, the box with the contents also show that. The title has 8gb drive in the title, the listing says multiple times it isn't a real camera. If somebody thinks this is a real camera, they are an IDIOT, period.

Why are you so adamant that the seller is bad?

In fact 1/2 the content of the listing talks about it being a flash drive and not a camera, not a single one liner at the end of the listing. If you walked away reading this thinking you were bidding on a camera, well then you have many other more pressing issues.

Here is a brand new Canon EOS 5D Mark III Flash Drive 8GB

100% Original from Canon !!

Hong Kong Canon Limited ! Difficult to find in anywhere else

Item is 100% brand new, and 100% original from Canon.

We provide free shipping to worldwide

REMINDER : This is not a camera !! This is just a USB Flash Drive that looks like a Canon 5D Mk3

Package includes:

1. The original Canon box to store the USB flash drive,

2. 1 piece of Canon 5D Mark III USB Flash Drive in 8GB Memory that looks like an EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM LENS

3. 1 piece of Canon USB Flash Drive Lens Cover

4. USB Cable

5. EOS Stripe of the USB flash drive.

Please notify that this is not an actual camera !! This is just a USB Flash Drive designed and manufactured by Canon.

It does not take photos !!

Thanks

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

vilimo
552 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 18, 2014 19:19 |  #70

Darn!!!! I was about to bid for it before the auction closed :(... it was one heck of a deal for 5D3 :D

I came here to share my disappointment and to stumble on this thread !!! WOW!!! Guess I am very100X lucky :D... :wink:

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 18, 2014 20:32 |  #71

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16980181 (external link)
Why are you so adamant that the seller is bad?

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'... -

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16980181 (external link)
Look at how many people here don't read everything someone posts, and then assume they understand what was posted and infer things that aren't there.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,890 posts
Joined May 2002

Jun 18, 2014 21:23 |  #72

WhyFi wrote in post #16980020 (external link)

WhyFi wrote in post #16969638 (external link)
So you would deny the inevitable refund request, citing the "no returns" condition? I wouldn't. Taking advantage of someones gullibility, whether or not you were actively seeking out someone gullible, would fit within my definition of "dishonest."

WhyFi wrote in post #16969698 (external link)
So is that a "yes" or not? I think that the fact that you're squirming under a simple hypothetical shows that you know full well where denying the request would land on the ol' dishonesty scale.

Ditto... ;) I don't even get the whole "if it were you" argument, because this post is about that particular sale item, and not what any of us would do. We won't really ever know what will happen there, the only certainty is that the listing was clear, the pics were clear, and if somebody thought that was a real camera, that is ENTIRELY on them. There is an entire process of retracting a bid after auction ends and the seller getting their final fee back, etc, and most likely that is what will happen there. In any case that listing result would definitely be a case of a truly careless buyer at best, and a stupid buyer at worst.

WhiFi wrote:
'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'... -

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 18, 2014 21:35 |  #73

I'd take the money and run. Screw the dumbass who can't read.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 18, 2014 21:43 |  #74

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16980461 (external link)
Ditto... ;) I don't even get the whole "if it were you" argument, because this post is about that particular sale item, and not what any of us would do.

Uh, that's because you haven't read it in context and understood it.

As far as me pointing out the logical fallacy, it'd be another logical fallacy to conclude that not speaking to innocence was an indictment of underhandedness.

For god's sake, I *explicitly* stated that it would be impossible to argue that they were being intentionally misleading, yet you, through the very shortcomings that you've stated, are telling me that I'm out to crucify the seller; no, I'm pointing out the shortcomings of the listing, how it could have been much more accurate and how the inaccuracy could be leveraged against the buyer to get the seller off the hook. Like most bad transactions, neither party has clean hands, here.

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 19, 2014 00:41 as a reply to  @ WhyFi's post |  #75

Geez guys. This is sales 101. Most people buy things based on personal emotion rather than logic or reasoning. This ebay seller exploits this , period. There are desperate people wanting this camera and their emotions get the better of them.

I once sold a 7d manual on ebay. She returned it, because she thought she was buying a camera for 10 bucks.

Again, let me know if the seller gets away with it. I have 5 lens mugs to sell.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

sponsored links

9,717 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D mk3 looking flash drive selling for $1700+
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.