Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 03:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sRGB or AdobeRGB ?

Davenn
991 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 17, 2014 03:27 |  #1

Hi Guys

which should I be using ?
What shortcomings or benefits are there for either one?
I just noticed tonite that my 5D3 has been set to sRGB

I use Elements 11 for the majority of my editing, if that makes any difference ?

thanks lots

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

sponsored links
magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 17, 2014 03:44 |  #2

Based on personal experience, if you don't want to spend the time to fully understand and manage this then stick to sRGB. I shoot raw in any case so I only need jpg for web and print as a final step.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 17, 2014 03:44 |  #3

Davenn wrote in post #16976467 (external link)
Hi Guys

which should I be using ?
What shortcomings or benefits are there for either one?
I just noticed tonite that my 5D3 has been set to sRGB

I use Elements 11 for the majority of my editing, if that makes any difference ?

thanks lots

Dave

It matters for what you print. Wherever you take your images to print them, will have instructions that tell you what color space to use. Some printers are at an advantage in sRGB, more others look better in AdobeRGB, and other printers will look best in ProPhotoRGB. You just have to research which one you need for what you use to print.

One important thing to note, is that you can convert an image in the AdobeRGB color space to sRGB without losing any color information, but if you try to convert sRGB to AdobeRGB, you will lose color information in the process. So for that reason, I put my color space in AdobeRGB if I am shooting my camera in JPG mode and not RAW.

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 17, 2014 04:00 |  #4

Stick to sRGB because if you value your sanity and time it's not worth going to anything unless you print. I messed around for a wee while using PROphotRGB and when I viewed my pics on iOS devices and chrome they had a green hue to them. Went straight back to sRGB right away but I wasted a lot of time.

Davenn
THREAD ­ STARTER
991 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 17, 2014 04:01 |  #5

Thanks for the responses :)

please excuse my ignorance here ...

these 2 colour settings apply only to jpg ? ... that is, it isn't part of the RAW data ?
I always shoot RAW + jpg. For lots of the general stuff, I will use the jpg out of the camera .. uploading to www site, social media etc
If I want much better jpg quality, I will process the RAW and save as jpg in E 11

cheers
Dave

Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

Davenn
THREAD ­ STARTER
991 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 17, 2014 04:03 |  #6

OK Paul

thanks ... you posted whilst I was still typing .... so from your and CRC's comments,
'this has more to do with image printing than anything else ?

Dave

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 17, 2014 04:54 |  #7

Davenn wrote in post #16976498 (external link)
OK Paul

so from your and CRC's comments,
'this has more to do with image printing than anything else ?

Not just printing. If you are putting images on the web, it should be sRGB as the web is not really optimized for anything else. Unless you have a good monitor with a wide gamut, it might not even see the full spectrum of AdobeRGB.

You can work in AdobeRGB or ProPhoto RGB then convert it depending on where it will be viewed. So if it's going on the web, convert it to sRGB.

So to answer your question, I would shoot in AdobeRGB, work in AdobeRGB (Lightroom for example) then convert it to sRGB in post.

This explains it better than I could.
http://fstoppers.com/a​dobergb-vs-srgb (external link)

A little about ProPhotoRGB
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial​s/prophoto-rgb.shtml (external link)

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Davenn
THREAD ­ STARTER
991 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 17, 2014 05:23 |  #8

thanks lots for your comments and links

It has been one of those thing I have known the existence of for years, but never had stopped to consider the differences till now. Tho hadn't heard of ProPhotoRGB till tonite :)

Appreciate everyone's input

regards
Dave

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 17, 2014 05:53 |  #9

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #16976527 (external link)
Not just printing. If you are putting images on the web, it should be sRGB as the web is not really optimized for anything else. Unless you have a good monitor with a wide gamut, it might not even see the full spectrum of AdobeRGB.

You can work in AdobeRGB or ProPhoto RGB then convert it depending on where it will be viewed. So if it's going on the web, convert it to sRGB.

So to answer your question, I would shoot in AdobeRGB, work in AdobeRGB (Lightroom for example) then convert it to sRGB in post.

This explains it better than I could.
http://fstoppers.com/a​dobergb-vs-srgb (external link)

A little about ProPhotoRGB
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial​s/prophoto-rgb.shtml (external link)

Exactly what I do ... if you shoot in Adobe RGB and have that RAW, you have the flexibility to remain in that gamut throughout post-processing, or change to sRGB if that is required at any point.

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,640 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 17, 2014 07:06 |  #10

Paulstw wrote in post #16976494 (external link)
I messed around for a wee while using PROphotRGB and when I viewed my pics on iOS devices and chrome they had a green hue to them. Went straight back to sRGB right away but I wasted a lot of time.

Is a "wee while" similar to a wee peek? Leave it to the Black Watch!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 17, 2014 08:55 |  #11

The only time I use sRGB is when I post an image on the web. The rest of the time I use AdobeRGB.

It simply produces a better print on a printer that can use it, which my Epson R2880 can and does.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 17, 2014 09:49 |  #12

John from PA wrote in post #16976647 (external link)

lol it is indeed.

Wee = short while.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 17, 2014 13:46 |  #13

Lowner wrote in post #16976843 (external link)
The only time I use sRGB is when I post an image on the web. The rest of the time I use AdobeRGB.

It simply produces a better print on a printer that can use it, which my Epson R2880 can and does.

If you save to AdobeRGB an image that fits entirely into the sRGB gamut, you only get an image file with a lower number of colors (about 30% less, but depends on image) and no printer can bring them back.

That's due to the fact that for a given color depth (bit depth), the wider the color space, the smaller color resolution.

In fact, by using a wider color space than the image actually requires, you are making available an additional set of colors which the image has no use for - at the expense of the number of available color shades within the gamut region that the image is actually feeding on.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,592 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 17, 2014 13:57 |  #14

John from PA wrote in post #16976647 (external link)

Guess it's true what they say about men who wear kilts.:lol:

Mark

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,640 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 17, 2014 15:05 |  #15

rrblint wrote in post #16977491 (external link)
Guess it's true what they say about men who wear kilts.:lol:

The Scots actually have a name for it; when wearing the kilt, it is customary for troops to "go regimental" or "military practice" meaning no underwear. The Black Watch (in the picture) are notorious at adhering to tradition.

sponsored links

6,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
sRGB or AdobeRGB ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.