Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 04:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

concert settings

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 17, 2014 04:12 |  #1

Alright, so point 1: I'm completely willing to admit my ignorance on this, so don't bash me for asking. Please.

Right. I've been trying to shoot concerts and have been fine tuning my settings to adapt to that reality but am still getting a few missed shots due to motion blur or missed focus, which leads me to ask: on a 5D3, what settings would you use?

I mean the whole thing: AF case, AF drive, shooting mode, lens, aperture, metering (I go with spot myself), all of it.

Need your help, please.

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,707 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 17, 2014 07:18 |  #2

That is an almost impossible question to answer without some specifics of those "missed shots due to motion blur or missed focus". An outdoor concert with partial sun is altogther different than one at night that may have wide variances in lighting.

I suggest you start at http://digital-photography-school.com/concert-photography-tips/ (external link) and see what may apply. I would suspect that the section on shooting at high ISO might help in your specific instance.

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 17, 2014 07:26 |  #3

John's comment is right on the money.

Let's see some examples (with Exif), Maverique.

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 17, 2014 07:27 |  #4

Yep. There are too many variables. No two concerts will have the same lighting unless you're shooting outdoor shows in the summer. I tend to keep my shutter at 1/125 (sometimes much lower though) and just adjust the ISO when needed. Be still and take a lot of shots.

Hybrid ­ AWD
170 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 17, 2014 07:34 |  #5

I guess I can chime in since a majority of my work is concerts. However I am shooting with a 1D MkIV and a 5D MKII but the settings will basically apply.

Focus Point: Center
I always shoot with the center focus point. I find it easier and I can always crop to my liking in post.

Drive Mode: AI Servo
AI Servo is the way to go. Some performers don't move around stage much while other bounce around all over the place. My tracking speed is either set to 1 or 2 (max speed).

Mode: AV or M
Sometime I find myself shooting in manual, sometimes aperture priority. It really depends on my mode and what I am after. If the artist has a lot of cool lighting I will shoot in M so I have full control. If it's an opening act with adequate natural light I'll shoot in AV just because there isn't much to affect the shot.

ISO: 2000-4000 (main act)
Even when there is fairly decent lighting for opening acts I'll start out around 800 ISO to see where I am at and then go from there. I typically reference the histogram just to check the whites to make sure nothing is too blown out. The tricky part for the main act is knowing their lighting setup. I'm typically at the venue long enough to scope out the lighting so I'll know if they will be well lit or not.

Shutter speed: Variable
Again there is no "shoot at this speed" setting. Obviously if you don't want blur you have two other variables to adjust: ISO or F/stop. If you're already shooting at F/2.8 on a 70-200 then the answer is clear; bump up the ISO.
You should have no issue stopping action with 640 shutter speed. Heck you can even get much lower and still capture the image without blur. The two things that typical blur with a fast moving performance is their arm/hands and then their heads turning.

Anyone can sit here and tell you what they do to make their images work but it really boils down to what venue you're at and the overall shot you're trying to capture. One minute I will want a shot of a well lit performer and the next minute I might want a shot where it's a silhouette of the performer. Obviously two very different settings to capture.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,411 posts
Gallery: 487 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 17, 2014 07:44 |  #6

Hybrid AWD wrote in post #16976684 (external link)
I guess I can chime in since a majority of my work is concerts. However I am shooting with a 1D MkIV and a 5D MKII but the settings will basically apply.

Focus Point: Center
I always shoot with the center focus point. I find it easier and I can always crop to my liking in post.

Drive Mode: AI Servo
AI Servo is the way to go. Some performers don't move around stage much while other bounce around all over the place. My tracking speed is either set to 1 or 2 (max speed).

Mode: AV or M
Sometime I find myself shooting in manual, sometimes aperture priority. It really depends on my mode and what I am after. If the artist has a lot of cool lighting I will shoot in M so I have full control. If it's an opening act with adequate natural light I'll shoot in AV just because there isn't much to affect the shot.

ISO: 2000-4000 (main act)
Even when there is fairly decent lighting for opening acts I'll start out around 800 ISO to see where I am at and then go from there. I typically reference the histogram just to check the whites to make sure nothing is too blown out. The tricky part for the main act is knowing their lighting setup. I'm typically at the venue long enough to scope out the lighting so I'll know if they will be well lit or not.

Shutter speed: Variable
Again there is no "shoot at this speed" setting. Obviously if you don't want blur you have two other variables to adjust: ISO or F/stop. If you're already shooting at F/2.8 on a 70-200 then the answer is clear; bump up the ISO.
You should have no issue stopping action with 640 shutter speed. Heck you can even get much lower and still capture the image without blur. The two things that typical blur with a fast moving performance is their arm/hands and then their heads turning.

Anyone can sit here and tell you what they do to make their images work but it really boils down to what venue you're at and the overall shot you're trying to capture. One minute I will want a shot of a well lit performer and the next minute I might want a shot where it's a silhouette of the performer. Obviously two very different settings to capture.

THAT !!!
To the OP i recommand what said Hybrid, i do quite the same ... and he explain well the "why" and the "for what".

Patrice
150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

1,271 views & 0 likes for this thread
concert settings
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.