Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 15:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good Old Days

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,333 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jun 19, 2014 08:10 |  #16

Then photographers like Eisenstadt didn't need or use a meter.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jun 19, 2014 09:25 |  #17

20droger wrote in post #16979860 (external link)
Limit your sessions to 20 shots each (one "roll"), changing cards between "rolls."

36 exposures? And somewhere in there we had the 250 exposure back for the Nikon F.

Remember, your shots are SOOC. No post-processing of any kind, not even cropping. Those darkroom services were simply not available in SE Asia at the time. That had to wait until I got home.

Remember "Bracketing"?
When shooting out of town for a client, I burned film like crazy because nobody wants to hear that "the dufus in the lab knocked the lid off the developing tank."
More in post #43 here.

Let's not forget white balance, too. We were stuck with daylight or incandescent, unless we carried a lot of light balancing filters/gels.

And while I still like the "film look", I'm not sorry that we are where we are today, thanks very much! ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

20droger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 19, 2014 11:15 |  #18

PhotosGuy wrote in post #16981268 (external link)
36 exposures? And somewhere in there we had the 250 exposure back for the Nikon F.

Not in SE Asia in the early '60s.

Remember "Bracketing"?

Very well!

When shooting out of town for a client, I burned film like crazy because nobody wants to hear that "the dufus in the lab knocked the lid off the developing tank."

That would have been "the late dufus"! We all carried guns and were perpetually exhausted. Dufuses tended not to make such mistakes, at least not more than once.

More in post #43 here.

Let's not forget white balance, too. We were stuck with daylight or incandescent, unless we carried a lot of light balancing filters/gels.

Thanks. I forgot about incandescent film. I only shot daylight.

And while I still like the "film look", I'm not sorry that we are where we are today, thanks very much! ; )

Me too. I by no means want to go back to the good old days.

But then, I do firmly believe that the photographer should be smarter than his camera. Alas, that is so often not the case.

I don't consider everyone who can press a shutter button a photographer, just as I don't consider everyone who can write a grocery list an author.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 19, 2014 11:23 |  #19

Ah, yes, the good old days, when you could still have "one for the road," and when you could still smack your secretary on the tush and she had to pretend to like it.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,065 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 19, 2014 11:26 |  #20

nathancarter wrote in post #16981493 (external link)
Ah, yes, the good old days, when you could still have "one for the road," and when you could still smack your secretary on the tush and she had to pretend to like it.

. . . and when women took jobs with the title of secretary because men never learned to type.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

20droger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 19, 2014 11:31 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #21

Nowhere have I said that the good old days were universally good.

Like the good old days of the 1800s, when 40% of children died before they were 6, and we set a minimum age for the presidency of 35 because we wanted only mature, elder men to lead us.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 19, 2014 12:31 |  #22

OhLook wrote in post #16981497 (external link)
. . . and when women took jobs with the title of secretary because men never learned to type.

Would you learn to type if you could just give a dictation to your sex object?

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,463 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 19, 2014 12:50 |  #23

I was shooting film in the 70's. Pretty much the same deal except I did have a Tamron zoom lens. Still manual focus, though. And I did some pretty nifty PP in the darkroom. Nowhere near what I can do now in Photoshop, but there were certain techniques that were similar.

We had color 400 and 800 film then, too.

Am I nostalgic for those days? Not. A. Chance. :p:cool:

Mark J.
Gear

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 19, 2014 13:38 |  #24

nathancarter wrote in post #16981493 (external link)

OhLook wrote in post #16981497 (external link)

Funny, a while back I ended up with a Netflix account and was catching up to some TV shows that I had missed...

Well, at some point I started watching "Mad Men" — I had only seen one or two episodes over the years so I started with Episode 1 and for a while I just kept up night by night.

Anyway, that show is really something, recalling the "old days" of the '60s, and especially highlighting the things that are now "out of favor"...of course the part about women being pretty much "second-class citizens" when it comes to the workplace...

But also, they really highlight the fact that smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages in the workplace, at least at the executive/managerial level, were considered not just "acceptable", but were considered part of the "lifestyle", those things as well as the freewheeling antics when it came to extra-marital "activities"!

Ah, well, not about photography, but about what we refer to as the "Good Old Days"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 23, 2014 13:44 |  #25

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16979911 (external link)
You're kind of mashing up a lot of things in with using manual cameras.

If I have to get shot to shoot film, I'd rather shoot digital.

But I don't find limits of film camera systems hampering my creativity. Discard things you can't shoot with it, and shoot the things you can.

In fact, I'd (strongly) argue the opposite is true. It is a near truism that limitations enhance creativity.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 24, 2014 00:06 as a reply to  @ edge100's post |  #26

The gauntlet has been thrown down Roger.

When I landed my first job as a staff photographer at a large industrial plant, my boss who became my mentor was also a hard man. I learnt so much from him. This was in the late 1970s.

For 'fun' he would send me out just for practice with a non metering Nikon F/50mm f/1.4 loaded with a roll of 36exp Tri-X. I was given an hour to shoot the roll. The negatives had to be 'interesting' and properly exposed. I had to have a 75% keeper rate. If not I had to buy the departmental lottery ticket and make coffee for the week.

Boy,, did I learn fast.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

20droger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 24, 2014 01:08 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #27

And probably drank so much coffee that your nerves are still shaking.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jun 24, 2014 06:07 |  #28

20droger wrote in post #16990884 (external link)
And probably drink so much coffee that your nerves are still shaking.

There,, fixed it for you ;)

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

booju
Goldmember
2,333 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 24, 2014 12:11 |  #29

20droger wrote in post #16981478 (external link)
But then, I do firmly believe that the photographer should be smarter than his camera. Alas, that is so often not the case.

I don't consider everyone who can press a shutter button a photographer, just as I don't consider everyone who can write a grocery list an author.

Well said Roger!

Love the thread...Thanks!;)

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 24, 2014 12:44 |  #30

Roger,

When I was learning, again back in the early 70's, I could only shoot with what I could afford. What that meant for me, was an Argus A3.

Did you ever miss a shot because you forgot to cock shutter?

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

sponsored links

4,721 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good Old Days
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.