Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 Jun 2014 (Wednesday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Magazine Publishing Images from Facebook?

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 20, 2014 00:29 |  #16

djphotosyd wrote in post #16982749 (external link)
It's pretty simple to me.

If you don't want pics published without your permission, don't put them on the web.
Not like this is some new or unprecedented thing, it's talked about on forums every day.
The answer to avoid it happening is pretty damn simple.

The fundamental problem that many photographers have is that they are dependant upon making sales of images after they have been produced. In order to make sales they have to put them online which in turn means those images as there to be easily pilfered. It is part and parcel of the business model they have chosen to use. It is realistic if you operate this way that you can expect to get stolen from and be prepared for what you'll do when you are.

Peter

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 20, 2014 06:24 |  #17

djphotosyd wrote in post #16982749 (external link)
It's pretty simple to me.

If you don't want pics published without your permission, don't put them on the web.
Not like this is some new or unprecedented thing, it's talked about on forums every day.
The answer to avoid it happening is pretty damn simple.

To me this is like telling a store owner that if they don't want to be stolen from they shouldn't put their products where the customers can get to them. Putting photos online is part of doing business today, and so is dealing with copyright infringement.

I would tell the OP to figure out what the goal is, and that will tell him if he needs a lawyer. Please don't ignore/forgive the magazine though. Either ask them for a large licensing fee or get a lawyer and go after the willful infringement damages.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

djphotosyd
90 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 20, 2014 09:33 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

MattPharmD wrote in post #16983072 (external link)
To me this is like telling a store owner that if they don't want to be stolen from they shouldn't put their products where the customers can get to them.

Isn't that's exactly what shops like Jewelery stores do? they seem to still be able to do business.

Whats wrong with taking the images to the client on your laptop and showing them the pics and letting them select what they want? You could take payment and burn a disk or USB there and then. I have done that for years. You could send them a disk of low res or heavily watermarked proofs, You could make proofsheets and send them which is also something I have done and works well.
Photographers were selling pics long before the internet came along.

Putting photos online is part of doing business today, and so is dealing with copyright infringement.

No, its A way of doing business and a pretty poor one at that in most cases. Image theft is just one reason why.
As for copyright infringement, what percentage of cases of that do you think actually result in the shooter getting anything?
How many shooters do you think actually do anything about it ( other than to complain about it on forums) and have the money to retain a Lawyer to fight it?

There ARE other ways of selling and protecting your pics and putting them online is far from a nessicity in most cases. Often it seems to be done because it's easy and dosen't take much time or effort on the part of the shooter. It also happens to be a poor way to get the best returns from a job, shortchanges the client on customer service and is open to abuse as shown here.

It would be a lot easier to take the pics to the client or print out proof sheets than it would be to try and recover monies through legal means that's for sure.
When so many shooters are still asking " How much should I charge?" it's pretty naieve to think they are going to know or be prepared to take on copyright infringement.

I would tell the OP to figure out what the goal is, and that will tell him if he needs a lawyer. Please don't ignore/forgive the magazine though. Either ask them for a large licensing fee or get a lawyer and go after the willful infringement damages.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,375 views & 0 likes for this thread
Magazine Publishing Images from Facebook?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.