Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beach Lens question

kipliq
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 19, 2014 21:21 |  #1

Hi, I do live in Hawaii but never took my camera to the beach. I might be going the Outer Banks NC in a few weeks kinda like a camping trip but maybe in a cottage. Since my 35L is not weather sealed, should I keep it at home ad bring my 24-105? I love my 35 and it is on my camera 80% of the time. I purchased a Lowepro hatchback 22L AW for the trip.

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

sponsored links
yeamans17
643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined May 2007

Jun 19, 2014 21:38 |  #2

Just bring the 35L with you. The biggest issue you'd encounter at the beach is salt spray unless you're dropping your camera in the sand. I regularly have my 5DII with either my 24-70 or 70-200 at the beach and I haven't had any issues.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 19, 2014 21:43 |  #3

Heya,

If your camera body isn't sealed, it doesn't matter if the lens is really at that point. Dunno what body you're using.

Regardless, take what you love to shoot. Just don't put the camera in the water, and don't drop it in the sand. Clean it at the end of the day to get the salt off. I use mine at the beach, in a swamp, etc, humid, salty conditions all the time, and my stuff isn't weather sealed (except my bigger lens), and I just clean it off now and then. No big deal.

Do you want to just take photographs and enjoy it and enjoy it years later? Or do you want to fret and live less, worrying about stuff that is totally replaceable?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 19, 2014 22:53 |  #4

That lack of sealing have me passing on it until an MK II comes out, I have filters on 24L and 50L lenses and took the 24mm shooting in the falling snow all around the train station until I could not feel my hands last winter. It was great.

I would recommend taking the 35L with a good ND2 or ND4 filter to the beach. This will help and protect. The ND filter is great for shooting wide open in brighter lights handheld. It opens up new shooting opportunities. A CPL filter may create unwanted color casts in the sky.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

kipliq
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 20, 2014 01:01 |  #5

I shoot with my old 7D. I was thinking of just the 7d and 24-105 after reading the comments. B&w uv filter and and nd. Since the 35l isn't weather seal with salt spray make it into the lens?

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 20, 2014 01:15 |  #6

I took my old T2i and Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 to the beach and shot with it the whole week, came home without a single issue, it even got rained on once :lol:

Bring what you like to shoot with and have fun ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 20, 2014 01:26 |  #7

If you intend to stand in the breaking surf to photography, the you are probably asking for trouble(water / salt) with ANY equipment regardless of weather sealing.
I would happily take my 6D and 24/50L though a rainforest before I took them to the local beach.
But thats just me. I am from Miami, salt water rots wood and rusts metal.
I would be happy to shoot all day with my 100L at the beach, I would bring the water to me. :)
And keep my distance for photography with my DSLR near salt/ water.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 20, 2014 01:35 |  #8

Heya,

For cost, just a heretical thought here... Pentax makes some decent little APS-C's with associated lenses that are nicely water resistant and combined, cost less than an L lens does, let alone a weather resistant Canon body. If you just want a fun DSLR that can go into the beach and water and not require an external house or risk a $4~5k setup. And it's not just a waterproof P&S. Kind of neat.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

bk2life
583 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 20, 2014 01:44 |  #9

If you use common sense you won’t have a problem. I have my 7d with various lenses here with me in afghan. The dust and sand in the air is very fine and will get everywhere. This is the second time I’ve had it out here and I have no worries. Final thought, if something did get inside; simply send it to get cleaned.

-james
5Diii|7D|Nifty 50|Canon 17-55mm-2.8|Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS ii|2x 600EX-RT|ST-E3-RT|CS6

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 20, 2014 08:30 |  #10

When spending time at the beach, I take the SealLine Storm Sack 20-Liter Dry Bag (if I'm using the 150-600 Tamron or the 10 Liter version with my shorter lenses.

Jim
Gear List

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,738 posts
Gallery: 256 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 20, 2014 08:31 |  #11

I use my 5DIII and 100-400L for shooting surfers and other beach activity. I keep away from the beach when there is a lot of spray blowing towards the beach. I do not change lenses on the beach. I do not use the camera and lens when there is a strong wind with sand blowing. I do not put the camera down but keep it on the strap around my neck all the time.
With these simple and sensible precautions and restrictions I have been using my gear for years without a problem.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

kipliq
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 20, 2014 09:45 |  #12

I'm not going in the water with my gear. When we are going in the water the camera will go back in the bag and no changing of lenses. The camera is mostly for exploring a few shots on the beach but more landscapes shots of the outer banks since I've never been their. I figure I can use my android phone for the close to the water shots. Good idea on the windy days. I've never been yo the place so it's hard to judge.

Eastport
940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 20, 2014 13:55 |  #13

We have been to Corolla Light on the Outer Banks seven or eight times.

The area is well known for its gorgeous sunsets, ocean and sound views, lighthouses (one in Corolla) beautiful bike paths and no high rise buildings.

We spent a week there in May. I took the 5D3 and used almost exclusively the 35mm f/2 IS. Very pleased with that combo. I also had the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II which came in handy for some BIF shots but mostly to get closer shots of the sun setting over the sound.

At the Wright Brothers memorial in Kill Devil Hills, the 35 f/2 IS was all I needed.

We spent a day bike riding and I carried (on the bike) an SL-1 with the 18-135 IS STM - perfect combo for on the go.

Enjoy!

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 20, 2014 14:34 |  #14

vk2gwk wrote in post #16983270 (external link)
I use my 5DIII and 100-400L for shooting surfers and other beach activity. I keep away from the beach when there is a lot of spray blowing towards the beach. I do not change lenses on the beach. I do not use the camera and lens when there is a strong wind with sand blowing. I do not put the camera down but keep it on the strap around my neck all the time.
With these simple and sensible precautions and restrictions I have been using my gear for years without a problem.

Great Advice!

I shoot at the beach regularly and with some (pro) surf shooters who are right on the shoreline most of the time. They do this several days a week for years with some "Very" expensive setups. Doesn't seem to bother them much. One told me he just does a wipe down externally with some lens cleaner when he gets back.

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

kipliq
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 20, 2014 21:39 |  #15

PixelPusher wrote in post #16983987 (external link)
Great Advice!

I shoot at the beach regularly and with some (pro) surf shooters who are right on the shoreline most of the time. They do this several days a week for years with some "Very" expensive setups. Doesn't seem to bother them much. One told me he just does a wipe down externally with some lens cleaner when he gets back.

The lens cleaner great advice

sponsored links

2,811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beach Lens question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.