Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jun 2014 (Sunday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon guy inherits Canon

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 18, 2014 08:54 |  #31

cpw wrote in post #16979055 (external link)
Sorry, it is the MkII version and I'm pretty impressed with it as zooms go.

Yes, I have this one and also think it's good, from around f/8 if you want sharp corners, f/11 at the extremes of the focal range. It's very resistant to flare. I think the contrast could be better at 35mm, and it doesn't seem very forgiving of dirty/poor filters. This is my favourite wide angle lens I've ever owned - and I used to have the legendary Olympus 21mm. There's a new f/4 version coming out within weeks which some think will be better, so now is not the time to sell what is still a good lens.

So that makes 2 very good lenses you do have. I would keep those.

The 70-300mm is heavy but even the 70-200mm f/4 IS is longer and less convenient to carry. That's the one I have, because the 70-300 hadn't been released.

I'd be tempted to replace the 24-105 with a 35mm f/1.4 or other fast single focal-length lens. Canon's 50s are all a bit weird and flawed in one way or another, so if that's your thing do read the reviews carefully.

sponsored links
doctork
33 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 18, 2014 09:00 |  #32

First, I am sorry about your loss.

I second the idea of keeping it in the family by passing on to your daughter. I am biased toward Canon gear but if you have used Nikon your entire life...stick with it.

vertigo235
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 18, 2014 09:09 |  #33

Since you sold most of your Nikon stuff I would keep the Canon stuff, I doubt you would be able to convert it (by selling the canon stuff and buying Nikon stuff) to a comperable system on Nikon unless you shell out a bit of money.

Canon EOS 6D EOS 5D Mark III | Apple Iphone 6 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II Speedlite 90EX | Yongnuo YN-468II

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 18, 2014 09:15 |  #34

If I were to receive a bunch of high end nikon stuff...... I'de shoot the hell out of it, then see if it's for me or not.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

cpw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 18, 2014 11:27 |  #35

melcat wrote in post #16979113 (external link)
So that makes 2 very good lenses you do have. I would keep those.

The 70-300mm is heavy but even the 70-200mm f/4 IS is longer and less convenient to carry. That's the one I have, because the 70-300 hadn't been released.

So I'm getting some differing opinions on the 70-300mm. Just to clarify, it's the f4.0-5.6 IS USM L lens (grey). I haven't spent any time with that one yet.

melcat wrote in post #16979113 (external link)
I'd be tempted to replace the 24-105 with a 35mm f/1.4 or other fast single focal-length lens. Canon's 50s are all a bit weird and flawed in one way or another, so if that's your thing do read the reviews carefully.

I would love to get a 35mm f1.4 and have always had a Nikon 85mm 1.8 manual focus that I fear I will miss. I was going to buy the Nikon 135mm DC lens as my "fast" portrait lens but have been looking at the Canon 100mm f2 if I stay w/ Canon

Wish I knew what Canon has in the works. Sounds like I needn't be in a rush to jump on a D800 and if I give the D40 to the daughter, having the other lenses around is not a negative.

Canon 5D MkII, 40D, 16-35mm f2.8 II L, 24-105mm f4 L, 70-300mm L, 430 EX, some Nikon stuff, vintage med format.
TEAM COVERT UPGRADE!

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 18, 2014 13:40 |  #36

The 70-300 L is fantastic, just not that fast optically.

Canons 85/1.8 and 100/2 are great and near identical lenses.

The 135/2.0L is a real stunner of a lens well worth a look, as is the 100/2.8L macro

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

williamfriggle
650 posts
Gallery: 487 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 18, 2014 16:38 |  #37

Well I am going to come in from a different angle I think. My dad passed away15 years ago, and I inherited some things. (No photography stuff. My sister got that. Who has never used any of it. Go figure.) Anyways, some of it I sold because I didn't really have a interest in it. And after a year or so have always regretted doing so. As what I bought with it's money is also long gone. I really wish I had never done it or had waited to be sure I really wanted to do it. Not because of its value or its usefulness for me. But because it was my dads stuff that he loved and I still wish I had it. Don't sell the gear. There is nothing wrong with having two brands of cameras. Don't sell it. Keep it. Use it once in a while in memory of your dad. That is my opinion.

Now on leaving Nikon for Canon. I was not going to get into this. But I will say I have switched brands twice in my life. First time from Nikon to Canon. Then from Canon to Nikon. Only one I regretted was when I switched from Nikon to Canon. Since I came back home to Nikon I could not be happier with my gear, unless I had more of it of course. LOL. To me my pictures are much better and sharper and just pop to me. And I like Nikons lenses more. Of course some of it is due to having slightly better Nikon equipment than canon. But I think there is more to it. But nothing I can point out. I just like it better. The images and equipment.

If nothing else my advice is take your time in deciding and make sure you are triple sure you want to do whatever you decide. Then take some more time and think it over again. But only now do you have equipment that was used by your dad. You sell it you will never have it again. You can buy one like it. But it won't be his.

Bill

Nikon D600, D300, Nikon 35 1.8G ED, Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, 18-70 3.5-4.5G ED, Nikon 200-500E ED VR F5.6, Yongnuo YN-568EX Speedlite.
My Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com​/gp/26345736@N04/QJhy5​A (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,646 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 18, 2014 19:25 as a reply to  @ williamfriggle's post |  #38

IMO most people don't have to be switching camps between Nikon or Canon because of quality issues. One thing I've noticed is that there are certain phases/waves of folks claiming one brand is so much more superior in all aspects in quality...but in the end, they have been competing quite well for quite some time. There might be particular strengths/ weaknesses of models coming from Canon or Nikon, but they both have been running neck and neck in terms of quality. I do love my 5DmkIII and it provides me with the quick controls, AF, IQ to give me the shots I want. I work with photographers who are Nikon folks, and I've been finding out more about the Nikon interface. Personally, I prefer the Canon interface vs the Nikon submenu vs menu dial interface. But that's me...I know many Nikon folks who don't like the Canon interface. There is a lot to be said about what camera fits you.

With the OP, it sounds like you might want to hold on to the Canon gear for sentimental reasons. However, you say you're a Nikon person. Don't feel obligated to switch to Canon if you still prefer the Nikon interface.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

cpw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 18, 2014 19:46 |  #39

davesrose wrote in post #16980261 (external link)
...Personally, I prefer the Canon interface vs the Nikon submenu vs menu dial interface. But that's me...I know many Nikon folks who don't like the Canon interface. There is a lot to be said about what camera fits you.

I personally hate all menus and wish there could be a button for everything; my failing eyes (now need 1.75 reading glasses) make it a pain to have to mess with them and I'm half tempted to get a Nikon Df just because the mechanical dials remind me so much of my FE2. I suspect some of the IQ and dynamic range of the D800 would be lost with the Df and it's smaller file size but I don't know that to be a fact.
I also don't like the idea that the AF controls on the D800 are not as easy to access as the 5DmkIII.

Canon 5D MkII, 40D, 16-35mm f2.8 II L, 24-105mm f4 L, 70-300mm L, 430 EX, some Nikon stuff, vintage med format.
TEAM COVERT UPGRADE!

davesrose
3,646 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 18, 2014 20:05 |  #40

cpw wrote in post #16980289 (external link)
I personally hate all menus and wish there could be a button for everything; my failing eyes (now need 1.75 reading glasses) make it a pain to have to mess with them and I'm half tempted to get a Nikon Df just because the mechanical dials remind me so much of my FE2.

Especially manual controls...honestly I can't stand either the entry level Canons or Nikons because they have basic functions buried in menus! It is kind of funny how the Nikon Df and Sony A7 are going retro in appearance. Most reviews I've seen are that they're kind of hit or miss as to ease of use. Before DSLRs, my main staple film SLR was a Canon AE-1 (hand me down from my folks). I still have all that gear...guess the old manual lenses are now going up in value because of the demand of vintage lenses. But one thing I do think that's funny is how the old film SLRs seem so light and slim compared to current DSLRs. The Sony A7 seems more like the old film cameras, but the usability with LCD only has some strengths/weaknesses.

Not sure if you follow youtube...there's quite a few good tutorials/video blogs from different sources. B&H and Adorama have some nice lectures from various photographers. One video blog I find I will watch is Matt Granger (an Aussie who's mainly Nikon/ though his top body now is a Canon 1DX). Most his reviews are pretty adequate:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=DsWPFUfyLF0 (external link)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

cpw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 18, 2014 20:21 |  #41

Have been doing some more reading on the Df and it seems the sensor has very nice dynamic range. When I buy computers, I try to buy the newest and best to stave off the need for upgrade as long as possible. Kinda how I feel about digital bodies (though I've only done that a few times). I'd be hard pressed to drop the coin on a Df when the 800(e) seems pretty state of the art for the moment.
If I do buy one (Df), I'll be slashing my wrists shortly thereafter for selling all my MF Nikon glass. ;-)a

TEAM COVERT UPGRADE!

davesrose
3,646 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 18, 2014 20:54 as a reply to  @ cpw's post |  #42

LOL...yeah, the whole lens issue is another factor with the Canon vs Nikon camps. So the old Nikon lenses are more versatile in different DSLR systems. During the whole film age, I just had my hand me down Canon AE-1 and FD lenses. During certain points I'd hoped I could find enough money in high school to get into EF lenses and the EOS film system. That never happened, but in hindsight, I'm not regretting going into EOS until digital. Canon apparently alienated folks by just all out dropping the FD mount to go to all electronic EF system. In the long term, I think it might have been a better decision since any EF lens from any vintage still works with any current EOS system. With the Nikon photographers I'm working with, they're still dealing with the older AF lenses they have not fully working on all current bodies, because of the whole AF motor issue.

From what I've been seeing with overall dynamic range, all the FF from Canon or Nikon are pretty equal. I am not a Nikon person, so take this with a grain of salt...but I think IQ wise, the D800 is still pretty much the defacto Nikon for now (many rumors are that Nikon is going to be dropping some announcements soon). The overall ISO of the D800 is good, and with the added resolution, is very competitive with prints.

If you do want to compare that with the Canon 5DmkIII, the 5D also has very good ISO. What I'm finding I really like about it is the AF system and the whole customizable interface the latest Canons have. Recently there was some hubbub about Scott Kelby switching from Nikon to Canon (it's apparent some of it was just the whole endorsements). Some new revelations he mentions are some of the basic things I've always enjoyed with my Canon 5D (be it classic or the mkIII)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Vz94bdlVVlc (external link)

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

cpw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 20, 2014 08:17 |  #43

Taking a camping trip this weekend with the family and will try to spend some time with the system. Thanks for all the advice so far.
I think if I decided to keep the Canon stuff (seeming more likely) I will want to add a fast wide angle prime and a portrait prime.
What are your favorites? 35mm f1.4 L, 85mm f1.8 or 100 f2.0?

TEAM COVERT UPGRADE!

Jon_Doh
869 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 20, 2014 08:38 |  #44

Sorry for your loss. Your dad sounded like someone who was really dedicated to his hobby.

Both the Nikon D800 and Canon 5D Mark II have issues. The autofocus on the Mark II is antiquated and the Nikon has had problems with left focus point. Plus its files are huge.

Here's what I would do. Nothing at this point. Just sit and wait. Nikon will be coming out with the D810 and it supposedly will address all the shortcomings of the D800 from focus issues all the way down to being able to shoot smaller RAW files. If I were a Nikon guy, this is what I would wait for.

The Mark III is a great camera in its own right. It feels good in the hand (better than the Mark II), has much improved autofocus and its 20 mp produce great files that require little post processing. If you want to stay on the Canon side, I would highly recommend it over the Mark II that you have.

But for now, the best thing you can do is go out and shoot with this camera and see how you like Canon's way of doing things. If you find you like it better than Nikon, then there's your answer. Sell the Mark II and upgrade to the III. If not, you've tried Canon and you have nothing to lose by waiting for the D810.

I use a Kodak Brownie

cpw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 20, 2014 10:47 |  #45

Jon_Doh wrote in post #16983286 (external link)
Sorry for your loss. Your dad sounded like someone who was really dedicated to his hobby.

Both the Nikon D800 and Canon 5D Mark II have issues. The autofocus on the Mark II is antiquated and the Nikon has had problems with left focus point. Plus its files are huge.

Here's what I would do. Nothing at this point. Just sit and wait. Nikon will be coming out with the D810 and it supposedly will address all the shortcomings of the D800 from focus issues all the way down to being able to shoot smaller RAW files. If I were a Nikon guy, this is what I would wait for.

The Mark III is a great camera in its own right. It feels good in the hand (better than the Mark II), has much improved autofocus and its 20 mp produce great files that require little post processing. If you want to stay on the Canon side, I would highly recommend it over the Mark II that you have.

But for now, the best thing you can do is go out and shoot with this camera and see how you like Canon's way of doing things. If you find you like it better than Nikon, then there's your answer. Sell the Mark II and upgrade to the III. If not, you've tried Canon and you have nothing to lose by waiting for the D810.

This is really where I think I've landed and everything you say makes sense. I'll be curious to see what the new Nikon looks like and will continue to research the Df just because I like to imagine that it's the closest thing to my dream camera operationally.

TEAM COVERT UPGRADE!

sponsored links

7,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon guy inherits Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.