Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2014 (Monday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7 models with non-Sony lenses

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jun 21, 2014 12:36 |  #1426

Gorgeous, medicineman

sponsored links
bwallan
100 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 21, 2014 16:45 |  #1427

Shadowblade wrote in post #16984896 (external link)
A7r with the 70-200mm f/2.8L II:

Nice!

bwa

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 21, 2014 17:34 as a reply to  @ bwallan's post |  #1428

With the TS-E 24 II

IMAGE: http://islandsnapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DSC02242_1.jpg

IMAGE: http://islandsnapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DSC02285-Panorama_1.jpg

IMAGE: http://islandsnapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DSC02294.jpg

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,502 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 22, 2014 01:39 |  #1429

one of the advantages of the A7r is the small size making it easy to carry, so tonight on the way out for dinner, I saw this amazing sunset and took a snapshot with the 55mm lens.

IMAGE: http://tonyniev.smugmug.com/Photography/Firstlights-Sony-A7R/i-tZc3Gz7/0/XL/DSC03264-XL.jpg

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

bwallan
100 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 22, 2014 01:44 |  #1430

*Jayrou wrote in post #16985951 (external link)
With the TS-E 24 II
QUOTED IMAGE

Love the "hay bail" rocks!

BWA

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,837 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2014 02:55 |  #1431

I hope i can use my A7R enough time, we are in summer here now and the temp is high so i don't go out to shoot, and indoor nothing exciting to shoot, i bought a tabeltop for studio still life but i couldn't assemble the table at all, so i think i have to wait until September when i travel to USA if everything is fine.

Oh, i forgot that i bought TS-E17 and still didn't shoot with it not with any camera, now honestly the only thing in my mind is how i can sell y 16-35L mk1 to upgrade to mkII before i travel :-(

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

masberg24
Goldmember
1,322 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 22, 2014 03:23 |  #1432

tonyniev wrote in post #16986583 (external link)
one of the advantages of the A7r is the small size making it easy to carry, so tonight on the way out for dinner, I saw this amazing sunset and took a snapshot with the 55mm lens.
QUOTED IMAGE

Hey tony you shouldn't cut off the palm trees at the top, maybe work on composition a little more.

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,502 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 22, 2014 03:24 |  #1433

^^ it is a snapshot while I was on the car, stopped and shot from the driver seat on a fixed fl lens :-)

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R4 & A7R
Canon 5D2 & 7D

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 22, 2014 07:07 |  #1434

Shifted panorama with the TS-E 17L:

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3823/11868534953_a36896e05e_o.jpg

chrisd999
99 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 22, 2014 07:24 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #1435

Nice shot Shadowblade. I'm curious on these shifted panoramas are you using the tripod mount that supports the lens in a fixed position and the camera body moves during the shift movement?

Sony A7R | 24mm TS-E II f/3.5L | T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS | FE 28-70 f/3.5-5.6 OSS | T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA| Samyang 85mm f1.4 | Minolta 70-210 Beercan | Metabones IV | LA-EA4
Sony A6000 | SEL1018 f/4 OSS | SEL24Z f/1.8 | SEL55210 f/3.5-6.3 OSS

chrisd999
99 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 22, 2014 07:40 as a reply to  @ chrisd999's post |  #1436

A7r with MB IV and 17mm TS-E. This one is of the RH building on Boylston Street in Boston.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5492/14290607537_fd77d70c2a_b.jpg

Sony A7R | 24mm TS-E II f/3.5L | T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS | FE 28-70 f/3.5-5.6 OSS | T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA| Samyang 85mm f1.4 | Minolta 70-210 Beercan | Metabones IV | LA-EA4
Sony A6000 | SEL1018 f/4 OSS | SEL24Z f/1.8 | SEL55210 f/3.5-6.3 OSS

Shadowblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 22, 2014 07:52 |  #1437

chrisd999 wrote in post #16986846 (external link)
Nice shot Shadowblade. I'm curious on these shifted panoramas are you using the tripod mount that supports the lens in a fixed position and the camera body moves during the shift movement?

Yep - I'm using the Hartblei Canon tilt-shift bracket.

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,141 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Jun 22, 2014 09:07 |  #1438

dtufino wrote in post #16979052 (external link)
Several people have PM'ed me and asked me why i switched from the A7... Here is the No BS truth!

Good
1. The Sony has am amazing sensor
2. Sensor produces from AMAZING images

Bad:
1. Slow Focus with Native Lenses and even with Metabones
2. lack of lenses, the 55 is great but it also lacks from slow focus, sometimes it even missed focus in broad daylight.
2. when i powered on the Sony took about 20 seconds to even power one
3. Battery life blows
4. no charger included
5. depreciate in value as soon as you buy it.

I can go on and on... but those above were my main issues, especially with the lagging.... the Olympus OMD has zero lag, super fast focus!

I can add that Sony releases a new camera every 4 months or so, which will make the current camera depreciate in value! A buddy of mine who works at B&H has told me that the used dept. has a a bunch of a7 and a7r's in stock because people have returned them.

To me, performance trumps Sensor size anytime. I'll be using my images for internet posting anyway anyway, when i want to print, i'll use my 5D MKIII which was far superior than the a7 anyway.

EDIT:
if anyone is in the market for an A&, the best bet is buy used because the prices will be very good for used ones.
While i did get some great images from my A7, i didn't really "ENJOY" using it, i always grabbed my 5DMKIII these past 3 months.

I'll preface this by saying that I respect your honesty and your early images of the a7 were one of the reasons I took the plunge with the a7. I've owned/tested/rented my share of cameras over the past few years. Most of that is GAS and my never ending search for the perfect camera. The cameras that I owned for the longest over the past 2 years were the Sony NEX 6 and the Olympu E-M1. I've owned cameras for 6 months to a year and as short as 4 days.

The m4/3 In general have fast autofocus, the E-M1 was fast for me but not missing on the accuracy. I would be able to fire off many shots but had maybe a 40% hit rate if I just prayed and sprayed. Even slow shots I had issues with back focusing and that was using the 12-40, the 25 1.4 or any other combo. I'll admit the 5 axis is fantastic. Smaller sensors would lead to faster AF, that's why the Nikon 1 is faster than m4/3, m4/3 is faster than APS-C and APS-C is faster than FF. If they can being the a6000 AF to the next A camera then it would be a good solution.

Yes the sony has a lack of lenses. But it's a new ecosystem with only 1 manufacturer making native AF lenses for it. The Fuji X system launched with only 3 lenses (35, 60, 14). M4/3 has pnPanasonic and Olympus making glass and is a 5 year old system. Sony's ff is less than 1 year. Give it time. I agree that Sony does have ADD of sorts and likes to focus on many different systems and not one but I'm holding out hope.

Powering on certainly doesn't take 20 seconds, it was adequate before the firmware update (certainly not as slow as some Fuji's are) and after the update it's much improved.

Battery life? All mirrorless for the most part have terrible battery life. The one exception I found was the Panasonic GH4 which I most recently had before the a7 would had a rating for 500 shots. Most mirrorless are rated in the 220-350 range. The RX1 with no EVF was even worse than the a7. Ever try a Sigma DP camera? Exactly. Buy a few spare, OEM or generic and you're ok.

Yes it's cheap that there's no charger included. I'll admit that. For something that costs $1,500 it sucks. It sucks that for the $2,800 RX1 they don't include one. Solution for me was to get separate charging plates for my Watson dual battery charger. What also sucks is that most cameras come with the charger and a really long power cord which makes carrying that standard charger inconvenient but you can use a apple charging prong. Who's guilty of this? Panasonic, Fuji, and oh yeah, olympus as well includes a way too long charging cord. Solution? Buy a generic charger or cough up the $50 for the Sony,

Depreciating in value? Consider it the early adopter tax. EVERY mirrorless camera for the most part suffers from this, just depends on how much. The only exception I can think if was the Fuji x100s and that was simply because you couldn't find it in stock for even a year after release. Ask Fuji owners who bought the X-E1 for $1,400 at release how they feel that around 1 year later the same setup is selling for $500-700 brand new and they'd be lucky to get $400 on the used market for it. Or those who paid $1,299 for the X-T1 in February only to hear speculation that there's a X-T1b in the works, only 4 months after release? Or those who bought the Panasonic GX1 for $1,000 at release and saw them on fire sale for $199 a year later. Or those who bought the Canon EOS M for $899 and then saw it for sale at $299 a short while later?

Cameras for the most part are not an investment. They'll drop i value, the moment you hit the shutter. Heck I've bought a camera, used it for a weekend and because I'm not one of those who use Amazon as a 30 day rental source end up selling in after 2-3 days of use and end up taking a $100-200 hit on the price. And I would do the same if I were buying. If someone can buy a camera for $1,299 new with warranty and return policy from a big retailer, you'd be stupid to pay more than $1,099 for it used, at least in my opinion. Everytime I see someone trying to sell a $1,299 camera for example for $1,249 for example, you know what I think? That persons going to have a hard time selling it or whoever ends up paying that is either desperate or a sucker. And the seller is always someone who values their goods more than it's truly worth. And the funny thing is that more often than not that person who tries to gouge on the used market is also a low baller when they make an offer on someone else's camera equipment.

To wrap up I'm not saying that the a7 is the best camera out there. It's far from it. My biggest gripe with it is the overly sensitive eye sensor and the back ISO wheel which I had to deactivate since this past weekend I ended up with more than a handful of ISO 2000 shots in bright day light. AF could be betterm especially coming from a Gh4 which in my opinion is faster and more accurate than the E-M1. But my complaints about poor battery life (which I knew going in was a give ) or the lack of a charger seems petty and trivial.

Current Gear: Sony a6400, Sony 18-105 f/4, Sony 20mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 56mm f/1.4
HEX Brand Ranger Clamshell Backpack, Ranger Sling

bwallan
100 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 22, 2014 11:27 |  #1439

TMaG82 wrote in post #16986993 (external link)
I'll preface this by saying that I respect your honesty and your early images of the a7 were one of the reasons I took the plunge with the a7. I've owned/tested/rented my share of cameras over the past few years. Most of that is GAS and my never ending search for the perfect camera. The cameras that I owned for the longest over the past 2 years were the Sony NEX 6 and the Olympu E-M1. I've owned cameras for 6 months to a year and as short as 4 days.

The m4/3 In general have fast autofocus, the E-M1 was fast for me but not missing on the accuracy. I would be able to fire off many shots but had maybe a 40% hit rate if I just prayed and sprayed. Even slow shots I had issues with back focusing and that was using the 12-40, the 25 1.4 or any other combo. I'll admit the 5 axis is fantastic. Smaller sensors would lead to faster AF, that's why the Nikon 1 is faster than m4/3, m4/3 is faster than APS-C and APS-C is faster than FF. If they can being the a6000 AF to the next A camera then it would be a good solution.

Yes the sony has a lack of lenses. But it's a new ecosystem with only 1 manufacturer making native AF lenses for it. The Fuji X system launched with only 3 lenses (35, 60, 14). M4/3 has pnPanasonic and Olympus making glass and is a 5 year old system. Sony's ff is less than 1 year. Give it time. I agree that Sony does have ADD of sorts and likes to focus on many different systems and not one but I'm holding out hope.

Powering on certainly doesn't take 20 seconds, it was adequate before the firmware update (certainly not as slow as some Fuji's are) and after the update it's much improved.

Battery life? All mirrorless for the most part have terrible battery life. The one exception I found was the Panasonic GH4 which I most recently had before the a7 would had a rating for 500 shots. Most mirrorless are rated in the 220-350 range. The RX1 with no EVF was even worse than the a7. Ever try a Sigma DP camera? Exactly. Buy a few spare, OEM or generic and you're ok.

Yes it's cheap that there's no charger included. I'll admit that. For something that costs $1,500 it sucks. It sucks that for the $2,800 RX1 they don't include one. Solution for me was to get separate charging plates for my Watson dual battery charger. What also sucks is that most cameras come with the charger and a really long power cord which makes carrying that standard charger inconvenient but you can use a apple charging prong. Who's guilty of this? Panasonic, Fuji, and oh yeah, olympus as well includes a way too long charging cord. Solution? Buy a generic charger or cough up the $50 for the Sony,

Depreciating in value? Consider it the early adopter tax. EVERY mirrorless camera for the most part suffers from this, just depends on how much. The only exception I can think if was the Fuji x100s and that was simply because you couldn't find it in stock for even a year after release. Ask Fuji owners who bought the X-E1 for $1,400 at release how they feel that around 1 year later the same setup is selling for $500-700 brand new and they'd be lucky to get $400 on the used market for it. Or those who paid $1,299 for the X-T1 in February only to hear speculation that there's a X-T1b in the works, only 4 months after release? Or those who bought the Panasonic GX1 for $1,000 at release and saw them on fire sale for $199 a year later. Or those who bought the Canon EOS M for $899 and then saw it for sale at $299 a short while later?

Cameras for the most part are not an investment. They'll drop i value, the moment you hit the shutter. Heck I've bought a camera, used it for a weekend and because I'm not one of those who use Amazon as a 30 day rental source end up selling in after 2-3 days of use and end up taking a $100-200 hit on the price. And I would do the same if I were buying. If someone can buy a camera for $1,299 new with warranty and return policy from a big retailer, you'd be stupid to pay more than $1,099 for it used, at least in my opinion. Everytime I see someone trying to sell a $1,299 camera for example for $1,249 for example, you know what I think? That persons going to have a hard time selling it or whoever ends up paying that is either desperate or a sucker. And the seller is always someone who values their goods more than it's truly worth. And the funny thing is that more often than not that person who tries to gouge on the used market is also a low baller when they make an offer on someone else's camera equipment.

To wrap up I'm not saying that the a7 is the best camera out there. It's far from it. My biggest gripe with it is the overly sensitive eye sensor and the back ISO wheel which I had to deactivate since this past weekend I ended up with more than a handful of ISO 2000 shots in bright day light. AF could be betterm especially coming from a Gh4 which in my opinion is faster and more accurate than the E-M1. But my complaints about poor battery life (which I knew going in was a give ) or the lack of a charger seems petty and trivial.

I own the A7R. Nicely said!

I also own and use a couple of Canon 60D's which I use on long lenses when I require really fast autofocus. The A7R/A7's are nice cameras but don't fill all niches of photography...

bwa

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,837 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 22, 2014 11:31 |  #1440

I have medium format but still use 35mm dslr much more than it, same with A7R, it is a camera for something, not everything.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,363,450 views & 1,495 likes for this thread
Sony A7 models with non-Sony lenses
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.