Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 20 Jun 2014 (Friday) 13:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Location Fees

Dan ­ Kearley
421 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 20, 2014 13:45 |  #1

I'm looking for info regarding what fee a given venue/site might request for a photoshoot.

(like an engagement shoot on a heritage house/site or in a restaurant etc)

I imagine prices could get quite high... but can anyone give me some examples?

www.emotionalresponse.​ca (external link)

sponsored links
jwhite65
395 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 20, 2014 15:52 |  #2

Sorry, I've never had to rent a place so can't help you with specifics.
But it seems to me the advice you get here won't really matter... Call up the places you're interested in and ask them if they charge a fee for use. :)

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

Dan ­ Kearley
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 20, 2014 16:15 |  #3

Good point. I'm actually asking for a property owner. They've got a nice spot they'd like to 'monetize'

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 20, 2014 17:15 |  #4

I've seen everything from $50-$250. $50 was a public park fee, $250 was private property, an incredible private residence.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 20, 2014 19:13 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

I know many public parks prohibit portrait sessions. I wanted to shoot a musician in the Japanese Gardens in Portland and it was prohibited. Out of curiosity, I checked up a few other public venues and the majority prohibited commercial photography.

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 20, 2014 20:53 |  #6

$250 for a place I was wanting to use for a Rock band. Not at all in our budget, but a beautiful building. Eventually we got in free and the band simply did some free concerts for them. It was a Convent for retired nuns. They loved them!

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

jwhite65
395 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 21, 2014 15:40 |  #7

I'm amazed so many public parks prohibit or charge for shooting. I live in an area which has ~300,000 population for the metropolitan area (2 cities) and the public parks are wide open - no charge or restrictions for use.
These places that charge for public park use... are they in major metropolitan areas?

Jeff
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 21, 2014 18:27 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

jwhite65 wrote in post #16985798 (external link)
I'm amazed so many public parks prohibit or charge for shooting. I live in an area which has ~300,000 population for the metropolitan area (2 cities) and the public parks are wide open - no charge or restrictions for use.
These places that charge for public park use... are they in major metropolitan areas?

Yes they are. I can see their point. Setting up with lights, reflectors, portable battery units, assistants etc... can really affect other people thst are there to enjoy the park. The Japanese Gardens in Portland is sort of a Zen place where people go to meditate and be in tranquility. I can see a photo shoot being a nuisance to others in the park.

b0barikin
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 21, 2014 18:45 |  #9

The only location fee I've ever had to deal with was $50 and my clients pay that. You just have to let them know ahead of time. :)

---W. Bobarikin
www.bobarikin.com (external link)
www.photographytulsaok​.com (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 22, 2014 11:29 |  #10

CanonCameraFan wrote in post #16984536 (external link)
$250 for a place I was wanting to use for a Rock band. Not at all in our budget, but a beautiful building. Eventually we got in free and the band simply did some free concerts for them. It was a Convent for retired nuns. They loved them!

Retired nuns sure know how to party :)

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 22, 2014 21:20 |  #11

jwhite65 wrote in post #16985798 (external link)

Yep public. Here in Austin they started when every wannabe photographer, trainer and Zen master started setting up shop in a couple of the public parks and the public was having a hard time using them freely.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

jwhite65
395 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 23, 2014 10:29 |  #12

We've had a private garden ban photography entirely, but public parks are still open, so far. I hope it doesn't come to that here...

Jeff

HBOC
357 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 23, 2014 14:10 |  #13

Hogloff wrote in post #16984425 (external link)
I know many public parks prohibit portrait sessions. I wanted to shoot a musician in the Japanese Gardens in Portland and it was prohibited. Out of curiosity, I checked up a few other public venues and the majority prohibited commercial photography.

The Japanese Gardens is interesting. I do know they charge licensing fees to photographers, especially if you sell the photos - and they do charge tripod fees.

As far as public parks, most likely insurance purposes. National Parks are the same way for workshops, as are most National Forests - at least around here in Portland.

FB (external link)
500px (external link)
Blog (external link)

girvan
314 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 23, 2014 15:12 |  #14

I've used a Japanese garden in Vancouver for an e session and the location fee was 350, we got to use the whole area for a whole day (if wanted to) and we couldn't go off the paths . the client paid this and was very pleased with their images.
dg

shoot with canon gear and some lights. my blog is at www.lightgangsta.com (external link)

5D2 | 7D | 17-40 f4L | 70-200 f2.8IS | Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro | Sigma 50 f1.4

Dan ­ Kearley
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 23, 2014 22:59 |  #15

This is great info.. Thanks so much!

sponsored links

2,232 views & 0 likes for this thread
Location Fees
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.