Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Jun 2014 (Friday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I crazy??????

djphotosyd
90 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 16, 2014 11:37 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

Lowner wrote in post #16974617 (external link)
An offer of $95 is better than the £25 a UK national magazine paid an agency for a shot of mine. I'd be accepting that offer because I believe they are telling the truth about being able to get another shot for that money.

The trick is of course to produce that kind of shot often enough to earn a comfortable living.

I have no doubt they would be able to get pretty much any shot they wanted for free.
There are loads of photographer wanna be's out there that would want nothing more than one of the Lunchbags they could frame and hang on the wall to show off to all their friends and prove what a hot shot they were.

The thing is though, if shooters start accepting this without reservation, your assertion of being able to do it enough to make a living will be null and voind because there won't be ANY money to be made because the market value of images will be zero.

They may well get an image they want for $95 and they might even get one for free but condoning the de valuing of photography by accepting this will bite us all hard in the arse in the very near future if we all give in to it without hesitation.

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 16, 2014 12:00 |  #32

djphotosyd wrote in post #16974906 (external link)
They may well get an image they want for $95 and they might even get one for free but condoning the de valuing of photography by accepting this will bite us all hard in the arse in the very near future if we all give in to it without hesitation.

It isn't "devaluing" photography as such. It is recognising its real value given the supply and demand that currently exists in the marketplace. There is such a glut of supply with photography being as common as air these days that it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Unless a photographer has a niche market/unique style/USP they'll have to accept the going rate. If a photographer consistently cannot sell at prices high enough to sustain their businesses they need to either up their game or find a new career. The very harsh truth is they are not worth what they thought they were worth.

Photography (of sorts) is now one of the most of the most common pastimes on the planet.

Peter

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,959 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 16, 2014 12:19 |  #33

Shinscar wrote in post #16974895 (external link)
I should have known what to expect when I got the first email and it said "we saw your photo on line and would really like to use it on this product! would you require a licensing fee?

So they know what a licensing fee is, and what licensing is, and they expect you to know, and nevertheless they offer a flat (and small) amount for all rights? Shameless, and a poor strategy to boot. If their initial e-mail reaches a hobby photographer who's clueless about the business side and it mentions a licensing fee, what's the recipient going to do? I know what I'd do. I'd go look up the phrase "licensing fee."

Another peculiar thing. Sellers set prices like $95 to make the amount seem small. ("Order now! Only $99.99 each!") Buyers make offers in rounder numbers. Creating the illusion of a low amount isn't in a seller's interest.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 17, 2014 03:35 |  #34

Lowner wrote in post #16974617 (external link)
An offer of $95 is better than the £25 a UK national magazine paid an agency for a shot of mine. I'd be accepting that offer because I believe they are telling the truth about being able to get another shot for that money.

The trick is of course to produce that kind of shot often enough to earn a comfortable living.

I'm sorry you got your image ripped off like that man.

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jun 18, 2014 23:50 |  #35

nathancarter wrote in post #16969934 (external link)
Respond with something along the following:
"I'm sorry, but that's far below industry standards, so I can't accept your offer of $95. The Getty images license fee for similar usage would be $XX,XXX; I also evaluated the rates using Fotoquote, which is what most photographers use for individual image licensing, and it recommended a license fee of $X,XXX. While I am open to negotiation, I simply can't undercut the industry so drastically."

If you don't have Fotoquote, here are a couple of free online calcs:
http://www.featurepics​.com …ense-fees-calculator.aspx (external link)
http://stockphotoprice​calculator.com/ (external link)

Good luck, get paid.

according to that site the image it does worth around that price 105-200 USD, not +1000
I would like to see we the photographers make so much money but the market is indicating different
good luck

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 19, 2014 00:26 |  #36

ernestoqr wrote in post #16980683 (external link)
according to that site the image it does worth around that price 105-200 USD, not +1000
I would like to see we the photographers make so much money but the market is indicating different
good luck

You didn't use the website correctly.

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 20, 2014 21:01 |  #37

So what is the final response or outcome?

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

b0barikin
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 21, 2014 18:49 |  #38

Do it! It's great publicity for yourself!

---W. Bobarikin
www.bobarikin.com (external link)
www.photographytulsaok​.com (external link)

HBOC
357 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 23, 2014 14:03 |  #39

b0barikin wrote in post #16986051 (external link)

I was paid $150 for a photo to be used in this months' (well Junes issue) of Popular Photography. It is for the mentor series ad. I retain all rights. My name is on the photo.
I haven't gotten any other offers due to my photo being in the magazine.

The OPs exposure could lead to sales, but for $95 I would run from that. I understand that companies need to make money, but that is ridiculous. If I got $150 for a small print ad for one month in a magazine, you should be getting a "bit" more than that.

FB (external link)
500px (external link)
Blog (external link)

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 23, 2014 15:06 |  #40

b0barikin wrote in post #16986051 (external link)

LOL. You rebel rouser.

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 23, 2014 15:07 |  #41

HBOC wrote in post #16989828 (external link)
I was paid $150 for a photo to be used in this months' (well Junes issue) of Popular Photography. It is for the mentor series ad. I retain all rights. My name is on the photo.
I haven't gotten any other offers due to my photo being in the magazine.

The OPs exposure could lead to sales, but for $95 I would run from that. I understand that companies need to make money, but that is ridiculous. If I got $150 for a small print ad for one month in a magazine, you should be getting a "bit" more than that.

He was just joking.

sponsored links

5,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I crazy??????
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.