Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Jun 2014 (Tuesday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Domain name helps SEO?

RickFL
378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 10, 2014 16:34 |  #1

I don't have a registered domain yet. But I am wondering if putting the word photography in your domain helps your SEO. I see some photographers that just use their first and last name for their domain.

I know there are many other factors that influence SEO but I am just curious about domain names.

Thanks!

6D gripped :: 17-40L :: 135L :: 70-200 f/2.8L II IS :: Tokina 24-70 f/2.8 :: 50 f/1.4 :: CL 360 (x 2)
My website: rickalonzophoto.com (external link)
My Instagram @sosofreshnsoclean (external link)

sponsored links
Dmitriy
247 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 10, 2014 17:04 |  #2

Theoretically yes, but in this case it will be absolutely unnoticeable, since "photography" is a very general keyword. It will only increase the length of your domain.

My Stock Photography (external link) | My Mobile Photography (external link) | My: Google + (external link) , Facebook (external link) , Twitter (external link)
Keywording Tool (external link) for stock photographers | Photo and videography (external link)

John
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 10, 2014 18:38 |  #3

People thought that it used to be important back in the hay day but definitely not so much anymore.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 13, 2014 10:33 |  #4

Search engines no longer give extra points for EMD (exact match domain). Few years ago you can register YOURCITYPHOTOGRAPHER.C​OM and rank with ease. Having keyword in the domain is helpful but not a guarantee that it will help you with search engine rank position. Google updates its algorithms few hundred times per year and only the big changes are known to the public. There are small adjustments that take place every single day.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

eddie_h
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 14, 2014 00:04 |  #5

As dkizzle mentioned, you're referring to an exact match domain (EMD), which used to carry some SEO weight. However, people took advantage of that so Google kinda started to care less about the domain name in raking factors.

Google is pretty quiet about their algorithms, so some people think it can still help "a little" with SEO while others believe that it's no longer factored at all.

I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are yournamephotography.co​m is probably taken anyways, so I'd focus with looking into something else. Be creative with your site name!

Eddie
New Berlin Web Design (external link)

amccomis
361 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 17, 2014 07:17 |  #6

HTML page title, meta keywords and description tags, and page content that agrees with those tags will be more important than the domain name itself.

If you build on a platform that supports pingbacks, such as Wordpress, the inbuilt SEO features will work better than you can do on your own submitting to the various webmaster tools available.

Source: I've set up a photo site on WP and found it in google the next day.

Had gear, but sold it off. Starting back in with a SL1 / kit lens. Looking to expand the collection.

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 17, 2014 08:30 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

amccomis wrote in post #16976658 (external link)
HTML page title, meta keywords and description tags, and page content that agrees with those tags will be more important than the domain name itself.

If you build on a platform that supports pingbacks, such as Wordpress, the inbuilt SEO features will work better than you can do on your own submitting to the various webmaster tools available.

Source: I've set up a photo site on WP and found it in google the next day.

I didn't think Google looked at meta data anymore?

Dmitriy
247 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 17, 2014 09:27 |  #8

Page title is one of the most important ones. Google does not take in account meta keywords and uses description tags only to display on search engine results pages (SERPs).

P.S. Exact match domain and having keywords in the URL that are consistent with the other content on the page - are different things.

My Stock Photography (external link) | My Mobile Photography (external link) | My: Google + (external link) , Facebook (external link) , Twitter (external link)
Keywording Tool (external link) for stock photographers | Photo and videography (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 17, 2014 11:06 |  #9

SuffolkGal wrote in post #16976777 (external link)
I didn't think Google looked at meta data anymore?

Metadata description, yes, but Google doesn't use the metadata keywords. Bing/Yahoo still uses them though.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 17, 2014 16:31 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Hikin Mike wrote in post #16977089 (external link)
Metadata description, yes, but Google doesn't use the metadata keywords. Bing/Yahoo still uses them though.

Thanks, Mike, good to know :)

Dmitriy
247 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jun 18, 2014 10:00 |  #11

Meta descriptions are not a part of the Google's ranking algorithm, they can not affect your site’s positions in the usual sense. However, this tag is still important - well written descriptions can increase the traffic from snippets that are displayed in SERPs. Also, they may affect your personalized search results.

Bing still uses meta description tag in their algorithms.

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 18, 2014 10:27 |  #12

Dmitriy wrote in post #16979241 (external link)
Meta descriptions are not a part of the Google's ranking algorithm, they can not affect your site’s positions in the usual sense. However, this tag is still important - well written descriptions can increase the traffic from snippets that are displayed in SERPs. Also, they may affect your personalized search results.

Bing still uses meta description tag in their algorithms.

+1.

Didn't know about Bing algo though. Thanks.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

b0barikin
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 21, 2014 18:53 |  #13

Yes and no. I did it! :)

---W. Bobarikin
www.bobarikin.com (external link)
www.photographytulsaok​.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,183 views & 0 likes for this thread
Domain name helps SEO?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.