Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 28 Aug 2009 (Friday) 08:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brutal Friday Critique - are you ready? Well punk are you?

b0barikin
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 21, 2014 19:00 |  #871

Love this thread!

---W. Bobarikin
www.bobarikin.com (external link)
www.photographytulsaok​.com (external link)

sponsored links
stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2014 09:36 |  #872

Howdy Peoples!

I will review the photos that I have previously missed, but you are welcome to submit a photo for a quick and dirty critique. I won't be back for a Friday Critique for a few weeks due to travels so get them in today. (early is better, I have a few hours before I have to run off to a photo gig).

Scott

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2014 10:04 |  #873

mattttyler wrote in post #16970479 (external link)
i consider this my best work yet
QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Howdy Matt -
Nice pics. Both are good in their own. Let me give you a few quick thoughts after just a glance.

The first - I would probably crop out the rocks on the bottom, I think it distracts and takes away from the photo. With a clean bottom half of this pic it may just be something to print in a gallery wrap and put on the wall.

The second - I see potential in this but it misses the mark. I am confused on the angles of the water, mountains and do not like the benches in the pic - it will need some post work to clean this up and create an image that you would (or I would) want to print and put on my wall. I see the concept but not sure if this was the total execution of that.

Thanks for sharing!!
Scott

Scott

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2014 10:13 |  #874

pyrospawn wrote in post #16983427 (external link)
^^^^ Those are some great images! Love them!

Here's my cliche shot for the week. Went to the Grand Canyon, so had to take one. Thank you again for taking the time to do this Scott. Your critique and comments are very helpful and much appreciated.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nXGG​Dn  (external link)
First Light (Mather Point) (external link) by pyrospawn (external link), on Flickr

Still working on portrait...
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nFo6​Em  (external link)
Christine (Take 1) (external link) by pyrospawn (external link), on Flickr

Hey Pyro -
Nice pics. I am a sucker for the Grand Canyon but always feel like photos never represent the awesome breathtaking views you experience in person. I think this one is similar, it is good and when I click on your flickr it enlarges it (which makes it better) but still does not compare to the real thing. Dont get me wrong it is good but not sure it gives the real thing justice - trust me I have similar shots that I feel the same about. One of these days I will take one that will be worthy for the park service brochures but I am far from that now.

The second I understand the concept, but I think this missed a few marks. I went to your flickr and realized what I first thought - the focus point was not on her eyes, but was on her jacket. The other point that bothers me is her hand position on the bottom, it is just awkward in a non sexy way. Truth is I just put my hand over my monitor to cover her hand when looking at her in flickr in another window and think this could be improved by cropping out the bottom. Then you will have to PS her eyes so they stand out. The lighting is good, noticed a little shadow behind her by her back but that is ok.

So there you got it - thanks for sharing again my friend!

Scott

Scott

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 27, 2014 10:24 |  #875

keith breazeal wrote in post #16984150 (external link)
I want to have a metallic print made of this, so fire away if you can make any suggestions on improving it. Thanks :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND
B-29 FiFi Sunrise Mather 7 June 2014 3095 vin © Keith Breazeal (external link) by Keith Breazeal Photography (external link), on Flickr

Hey Keith,

Thanks for sharing. I just looked at your Flickr account and looks like you have a few good plane pics - nice work. I personally like this one but not sure I would print it. This photo and a few others on your flickr are cropped too much - you cut off the wings etc. I want to see the whole plan and understand how HUGE these things are. It takes a lot of running around to get these planes at the right angle and getting in the entire thing.

Personally I want to see the entire plane or want to see close ups of some of the unique features, this photo doesn't do that for me.

But you asked how to edit for a print. I would suggest a little dodge and burning a bit to make it stand out and more dramatic at certain points and then see what you can do for a good metallic print.

Thanks for sharing!
Scott

Scott

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,112 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 27, 2014 11:19 |  #876

that wire needs to be gone, and maybe those orange markers on the floor. I think the plane and floor need a little more separation, since they're kinda similar in color.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

mamaof2
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Jun 28, 2014 12:58 |  #877

I just got a camera end of May so very new but looking for pointers right away so I can fix my mistakes early.
url=https://flic.kr/p/​o6KGpR]

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
i look so old (external link) by mamaof2kb (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
caden fingers (external link) by mamaof2kb (external link), on Flickr

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 01, 2014 10:47 |  #878

mamaof2 wrote in post #16999673 (external link)
I just got a camera end of May so very new but looking for pointers right away so I can fix my mistakes early.
url=https://flic.kr/p/​o6KGpR]
IMAGE NOT FOUND
i look so old (external link) by mamaof2kb (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
caden fingers (external link) by mamaof2kb (external link), on Flickr

Hey Mom,

I think you are off to a good start. I looked on your flickr to see your settings and you are on auto, so I won't bore you with geeky camera technical talk. I think you are doing exactly what you should, capturing your son. I wished digital was around when my kids were younger.

Here are a few tips I would share with you. Take a lot of photos, get your kids used to you with a camera, this way they will just be themselves and not pay attention to your camera. You can then capture regular fun moments that you will cherish years later.

Take a lot of different angles and don't always feel like you have to get your kids in the center of the frame, try the rule of 3rds - but really there is no rush. Keep on taking pictures. Carry your camera with you whenever you can, take tons of photos and enjoy the moment. You will have fun and the kids will then just do their thing while you shoot away.

Have fun!
Scott

Scott

mamaof2
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Jul 01, 2014 12:15 |  #879

stathunter wrote in post #17005189 (external link)
Hey Mom,

I think you are off to a good start. I looked on your flickr to see your settings and you are on auto, so I won't bore you with geeky camera technical talk. I think you are doing exactly what you should, capturing your son. I wished digital was around when my kids were younger.

Here are a few tips I would share with you. Take a lot of photos, get your kids used to you with a camera, this way they will just be themselves and not pay attention to your camera. You can then capture regular fun moments that you will cherish years later.

Take a lot of different angles and don't always feel like you have to get your kids in the center of the frame, try the rule of 3rds - but really there is no rush. Keep on taking pictures. Carry your camera with you whenever you can, take tons of photos and enjoy the moment. You will have fun and the kids will then just do their thing while you shoot away.

Have fun!
Scott

Thank you so much for taking your time to give me tips..really appreciate it!

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

clb
302 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 01, 2014 12:31 |  #880

Subscribed :)

Chuck
Canon 7D 50D 40D(X-2) -Gripped, 600D T3I -Gripped, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD, Tamron 90mm Macro, YN565EX Flash,YN-622C trigs

pyrospawn
367 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 04, 2014 08:44 |  #881

Happy 4th of July! and TGIF! :)
Here is one for the week!

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5508/14358200759_74199bfd0b_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nSMw​Rv  (external link)
Beach Day (Anna) (external link) by pyrospawn (external link), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pyrospawn/ (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 (modded for full frame), Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8, Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite

BLS
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jul 04, 2014 09:17 |  #882

My first post in this thread. A "slice of life" shot.

IMAGE: http://imageshack.com/a/img850/4887/o21h.jpg

Barbara

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 11, 2014 10:07 |  #883

pyrospawn wrote in post #17011043 (external link)
Happy 4th of July! and TGIF! :)
Here is one for the week!
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nSMw​Rv  (external link)
Beach Day (Anna) (external link) by pyrospawn (external link), on Flickr

Hey Pyro!

Well first off I want to say I love how sharp this pic is!! I truly love sharp crisp pics and this is great! When I initially glanced at this I thought....awww...dang​.....wished it was shot about 4 feet higher... I think she has great eyes and if it was shot a bit higher up would of brought out her features a bit better. Also, there are a few distracting details from the kite to the sand....if they were cleaned up a bit it would focus more on the model and improve the image.

Great work - I really love how sharp this is!

Scott

Scott

stathunter
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 11, 2014 10:12 |  #884

BLS wrote in post #17011088 (external link)
My first post in this thread. A "slice of life" shot.

QUOTED IMAGE

Hey Barbara,

Thanks for sharing! I personally love state fair pics...I try to take them whenever I get a chance. My problem which is similar to what you have here is really getting a clean pic without distractions. This has a few things in the frame (on the right along with the cords at bottom) that take this to a snapshot. I think you could crop this a bit to improve it - but then it takes you a bit too close to the subjects....the distance is a good thing. I also think timing on this shot could of been better. But again these are hard to get with all of the messy distractions.

Thanks for sharing!
Scott

Scott

pyrospawn
367 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 11, 2014 10:16 |  #885

Hi Scott! Thanks for the critique. Will have to watch the surrounding better in my shots in the future.

Here is one for this week. There are more but I wasn't sure if it is appropriate to post here. They are in the Glamour section. https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1387355. CC are much appreciated.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5520/14603874416_85cf272722_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ofuF​5d  (external link)
MiJa (B+W 4) (external link) by pyrospawn (external link), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pyrospawn/ (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 (modded for full frame), Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8, Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite

sponsored links

131,215 views & 80 likes for this thread
Brutal Friday Critique - are you ready? Well punk are you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.