Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Jun 2014 (Monday) 13:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Honey Moon Weekend - My First Real Night Attempts

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 16, 2014 13:29 |  #1

Well, this weekend at the beach I took along the (crappy) tripod that really needs to be replaced and tried my first ever long exposures. I stopped at 30 seconds because it did all I needed it to do by then, so I didn't venture into Bulb mode territory. This first experiment just happened to coincide with June's honey colored moon, which worked out wonderfully (Honey Moon, not to be confused with honeymoon, which was almost 10 years ago now).

Anyway, as this was my first attempt at anything like this, I am putting them up here for some C&C. I realize several of them are variations on the same theme, but it was working and I couldn't cull any more out - they all seemed to offer something different to my eye.

When you see the crazy moon colors, remember I didn't process any color changes like sepia, etc. This is 'normal' pp for sharpness, noise, clarity/vibrance/satur​ation, etc and as close to what I saw as I could get them.

The first two were taken (obviously) at the blue hour.

1. This one I liked because of the wave.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3858/14250779459_161f08de8c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nHhY​f8  (external link) Moonrise (external link) by hokiealumnus (external link), on Flickr

2. Removed - Cull ruthlessly!!
(Here if you want to see it. (external link))

3. Removed - Cull ruthlessly!!
(Here if you want to see it. (external link))

4. After darkness fully came, the moon kept its color and with clouds rolling by it ended up looking great.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2938/14436305724_7fa7c542df_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nZFQ​JQ  (external link) Honey Moon Rising (external link) by hokiealumnus (external link), on Flickr

5. Once it was way up in the sky, the clouds kept going and I got this shot, a 30 second exposure.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2922/14250825648_38a45b5bf6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nHic​Yu  (external link) Night Clouds Floating By (external link) by hokiealumnus (external link), on Flickr

6. Last, but not least, this is the best shot of the moon itself I could get with only 135mm to work with. This is a 100% crop, which turned out better than I thought it would. Again, no color alteration.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3919/14437425635_38e59416d3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/nZMz​DD  (external link) Honey Moon (external link) by hokiealumnus (external link), on Flickr

Any and all C&C is welcome and appreciated. This is my first time trying to get serious with the moon. Thank you all for looking.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 16, 2014 13:37 |  #2

Except for one shot, they are all very centered. I'm not saying that a centered composition is bad. Lots of times it makes sense. Nevertheless, I think one or two of these would have had more impact if the moon was off center. The one with the birds, for example. There clearly a direction of movement implied in it. Good timing and a landscape orientation might have had them flying toward the center of the image with the moon appearing to be their target.

Many of them would have benefited by coaxing the moon to "strike a pose" lower in the sky. As it is, it seems detached. Obviously, you can't tell the moon what to do. But you might try a little earlier or later, or the same time on another night if you want to get the blue hour.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 16, 2014 13:42 |  #3

Great tips, thank you!

Re: Lower in the sky - the entire weekend there were (very frustratingly) clouds on the horizon. The moon never rose over the ocean, it always went up after passing by clouds.

I definitely see what you mean about all of them centered, and agree totally. I fell prey to doing something that I liked that worked and getting stuck. Separate, they can stand on the own (IMHO), but all together like that it definitely has a monotonous feel.

dpatrick27339
35 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 16, 2014 13:57 |  #4

Nice shots-

Canon EOS 5D MII
400 5.6L - 17-40 f4.0 L - 100 2.8 macro - 50 1.4 - 580EXII - Battery Grip - Interfit Strobes - Manfrotto Tripod/Head
(was previously Advisor on this forum but lost password :lol:)

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 16, 2014 20:16 |  #5

Thanks dpatrick!

Side note - on further consideration and after joedlh's post, I have removed two of the series. I didn't cull ruthlessly enough!

b0barikin
36 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 21, 2014 19:08 |  #6

Keep up the good work! It looks great!

---W. Bobarikin
www.bobarikin.com (external link)
www.photographytulsaok​.com (external link)

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 21, 2014 20:02 |  #7

b0barikin wrote in post #16986107 (external link)
Keep up the good work! It looks great!

Thanks!

djr01974
Goldmember
1,235 posts
Gallery: 333 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 23, 2014 19:33 as a reply to  @ hokiealumnus's post |  #8

Here is my first attempt at the moon. I cropped it so it became blurry. I'm still learning.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

hokiealumnus
THREAD ­ STARTER
914 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 23, 2014 20:37 |  #9

Good first try! You can do better though. The moon in the last photo above is a 100% crop from a mere 135mm lens.

djr01974
Goldmember
1,235 posts
Gallery: 333 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 23, 2014 21:51 |  #10

Thanks that was cropped from 3456 x 2304 . ISO 320, 250mm, f/6.3 -1/320 Im really new so thanks. I had no tripod , and maxed my 55-250mm lens.

sponsored links

1,750 views & 0 likes for this thread
Honey Moon Weekend - My First Real Night Attempts
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.