Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Jun 2014 (Friday) 20:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma/Tamron 70-200 Good price?

Jaejin0417
131 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 20, 2014 20:16 |  #1

I'm looking to buy this lens- was also looking at the Tammy 70-200, but the differences seem too small to be paying $300 extra..
I have someone that bought Sigma in 2012 and sold Canon gear and went to Nikon in 2013, meaning Sigma was used for less than a year.

Practically new condition. She agreed to send in original receipt as well as a blank warranty card for $925. Spoke with Sigma rep and said normally, although company doesn't allow warranty transfer, that it would be okay to get it serviced. Is that a good price?

For the Tamron I was budgeting about $1050 or so, but people were trying to sell their 2 year old lens for 1350!
BTW, if you're selling Tammy, let me know! :)

Canon 70D
Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS
Canon 24-70 2.8L

sponsored links
kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 21, 2014 12:46 |  #2

Yep. That's a good price. Not a steal but definitely worth every penny.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 21, 2014 21:16 |  #3

You can find grey market Tamrons for under $1200 if you're just going the used route (not sure if they transfer warranties). I'd take the Tamron over the Sigma any day.

Jaejin0417
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 21, 2014 21:27 |  #4

I payed for the lens yesterday night, but my payment is under review by PayPal. Lol..
Really wish I checked eBay as there's a Tamron on bid ending soon at like $860. Wouldn't imagine it going over 1k or so.

Canon 70D
Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS
Canon 24-70 2.8L

Kwirk
237 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 21, 2014 23:13 |  #5

I doubt it. I haven't seen one of those under $1100. They are pretty new and really good performers. There's no reason why anyone would sell one that cheap. You're probably looking at their old 70-200.

Jaejin0417
THREAD ­ STARTER
131 posts
Joined May 2014

Jun 22, 2014 00:01 |  #6

Bummer, it sold for 1066. Totally should have bidded.
Arg. Anyhow, I originally thought that 70-200 on a crop body would be okay, however after reading more reviews, I do hear that it's a bit too long. I don't mind having to back up and such, but if it makes the photos look unnatural, that's something that I don't want.. Crop body would make field of view at about 112-320mm. Granted, I don't do professional photos, I just take photos as a hobby, but I would still like nice photos.
Someone has mentioned selling my 40D and getting a 5D classic. Although I wouldn't be swapping bodies soon- unless it breaks on me, what should I go?
60D is selling for pretty cheap with the 5Dc selling slightly lower. Don't want to be spending mass amounts of money on body as my old 40D is still making me happy :)
Sorry about the nooby questions, I'm still learning :)

Canon 70D
Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS
Canon 24-70 2.8L

dbricks
610 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 22, 2014 20:34 |  #7

Once you get the lens, shoot around on it for a little while and see how you like it on the 40D. Plenty of people shoot 70-200s on crop bodies and get fantastic results. Down the road if you see the need to go full frame, then do it. For the time being, enjoy the new lens!

Sony A7III | Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 150-600c + MC-11 adapter
http://davidbricknerph​otography.com (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 23, 2014 16:54 |  #8

dbricks wrote in post #16988268 (external link)
Once you get the lens, shoot around on it for a little while and see how you like it on the 40D. Plenty of people shoot 70-200s on crop bodies and get fantastic results. Down the road if you see the need to go full frame, then do it. For the time being, enjoy the new lens!

Love my 70-200 on the 7D.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 24, 2014 08:51 |  #9

Jaejin0417 wrote in post #16986502 (external link)
I originally thought that 70-200 on a crop body would be okay, however after reading more reviews, I do hear that it's a bit too long.

All depends on your uses for it. Some people love the 70-200 range on a crop others don't. Personally I don't 70mm to long for my needs, that why I went with the sigme 50-150 OS my second time around (originally owned the sigma 70-200 OS but had to sell it due to life issues)

Try it, see if you like the range, then go from there. If you don't like the range then you can either sell the lens and get one like the 50-150 or sell your body and get a ff body.

sponsored links

1,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma/Tamron 70-200 Good price?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.