Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 19 Jun 2014 (Thursday) 23:10
Search threadPrev/next

Piercings and Pin-Up?

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2014 23:10 |  #1

I have a friend that wants me to do a pin-up style shoot with her. I have never done pin-up, and have limited experience with models as it is. It'll be more for both of us to get some practice in and maybe something for a portfolio.

I'm trying to get a handle on where to shoot, and what kind of scene to create, but one thing that is really stumping me is how do I do a "40's era pin-up" type shoot with a model that has a nose ring, a bar in her eyebrow, and a number of tattoos? I just can seem to mentally put her in a pin-up style with the artwork and hardware.

Should I just go with a theme, and 'ignore' the modifications? We live near the beach, and I have a vintage swimsuit coming for her, along with some beach-y props, and figure that will be what we go for. I may also rent out a studio at some point if things go well.

Any advice?

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 19, 2014 23:28 |  #2

Look no further than Alvarado for inspiration.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1358745

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2014 23:47 |  #3

He is basically who/what I have been looking at since she and I decided to do this. However, I don't have nearly the props or access to them as he does. We're thinking much simpler, smaller scale stuff. Like these:

https://photography-on-the.net …t=1373436&highl​ight=pinup
(First image is the same swimsuit I ordered)

https://photography-on-the.net …t=1302430&highl​ight=pinup
https://photography-on-the.net …rch.php?searchi​d=42728423

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 20, 2014 09:09 |  #4

I would try to set aside your opinions about the ink and hardware. I think it's safe to say that MOST girls who are into pinup culture nowadays are going to have at least a few tattoos.
Related: I have a "tattoo enhance" preset for Lightroom's adjustment brush, if you want it. :)

I found this to be very useful, despite the silly cover photo. It's not the be-all-end-all but it's got a lot of good tips and is worth the price. Both you and the model should watch it:
http://www.amazon.com …tina-Go-Go/dp/B00095MBP8/ (external link)

Still, it takes a lot of practice. Giving pose direction is maybe the hardest part, and just takes practice and experience. Ask the model what she likes most about herself, and play to those strengths. Also GENTLY ask if she has any areas of concern (double chin, soft jawline, cellulite thighs, wrinkles, upper arms, etc) and try to conceal or work around those areas.

For kneeling poses, the model should NOT sit all the way back with her butt on her heels. This will squish her out in odd and unflattering ways. Look at the kneeling images in the threads you linked, see how her butt is a good 4-6 inches off the heels? one inch at the minimum. It's a hard pose to hold.

Facial expressions are absolutely key for this kind of photo. The model should start practicing NOW making faces and expressions in the mirror. Not every face works for every person. Some girls can wink, some can't Some girls can bite the lip, some can't. Practice emoting with the eyes and eyebrows WITHOUT wrinkling up the forehead - forehead wrinkles are unflattering, and you can maybe 'shop them out but it's a hassle and often won't look right. Surprised, playful, sly, pouty, angry, apprehensive, sultry.

A big white paper backdrop will give you lots and lots of options.

A few props, too - you don't have to go all-out with a full set; the emphasis should mostly be on the model. A barstool, a retro tabletop fan, a retro mixer or rolling pin, an old suitcase, a little ottoman or footrest or stool, a retro ice chest and some glass Coke bottles. Look in junk sales or vintage shops for this kind of stuff.

Ybor Studio 1701 just changed names (and owners? dunno) to Sun Spectrum studio; they have space for things like this, lights and a few props, and they're very open to this kind of shooting.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Iancentric
714 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 21, 2014 21:34 |  #5

KirkS518 wrote in post #16982739 (external link)
, I don't have nearly the props or access to them as he does. We're thinking much simpler, smaller scale stuff.

props??
In his latest post, the props are a hat and shoes, a hat can be found cheaply, and models own shoes, sometimes an amazing amount of shoes lol

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1384184

Look at his posts, sure some of them have elaborate props, but for the most part his images are simple and uncluttered.

and don't worry about body mods, tattoo's piercings etc. Your friend knows she has them, she has paid good money for them. Include them in the image.. If she wants to hide them, she will...

Ian
Flickr (external link)
Tumblr (external link)
instagram (external link)

3,387 views & 0 likes for this thread
Piercings and Pin-Up?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.